What's new

Double Indemnity 2 disc from Universal in August (1 Viewer)

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

Well, it's supposed to come out the last week of August, which is just about the same time Universal released those really sweet editions of The Sting, To Kill a Mockingbird, and The Deer Hunter last year, so maybe it'll be part of the same line.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't want to panic, but the link in the first post is now dead and Double Indemnity is nowhere to be found on the Universal website...

EDIT - back now, phew...

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Well maybe they want to announce it "officially" before listing it on there website, right? *Fingers crossed*

This does indeed sound like it could be the next title in Universals Legacy Series.

Jing_B

Stunt Coordinator
FANTASTIC NEWS!!!

Judging from last year's releases, a wave of Legacy Series DVDs comes by threes so hopefully Universal will include Touch of Evil and All Quiet on the Western Front as part of the second wave of the Legacy Series.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Jing,

Is that just wishful thinking or have either of those titles been hinted at by the studio for upcoming release dates or reissues?

BarryM

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barry Margolis
I guess we all agree that besides Sony's lousy Columbia Studios releasing program, the Universal controlled Paramount years are the most under-released and realized of all the major studio's classic movie reissue programs. Paramount is chock-full of great movies that would sell like hotcakes.

If Warner Bros can do it, what's Universal's problem? Especially since Universal has their financial difficulities....why wouldn't they make some dough with the material they already own outright?

I'm one of those people who actually prefer the recent Universal Glamour series' packaging and concept....5 or 6 movies in realeasable condition at a really good price. The only issue I have with their flipper is the quality control issue. So far, I've had to return the Carole Lombard issue because of a defective disc 1, side 1.

I would MUCH rather have a releasable condition title issued in a low-priced package without extras than what's Columbia has been doing; releasing a single title at $20.00 with the film in mediocre condition and no extras. Putting together low-priced packages is a much more honest method...in my opinion.

Of course, I'd like all titles I want to be carefully remastered with a completely perfectly fixed-up print (like, say, "Citizen Kane"), but you KNOW that won't happen.

What would I like to see Universal release from this Paramount period?

Gee...the list is endless:

THREE CORNER MOON - early screwball comedy with Claudete Colbert
MIDNIGHT - one of the greatest all-time comedies with Colbert
A FOREIGN AFFAIR - Billy Wilder's great, snotty post-war comedy with Dietrich and Jean Arthur
MILLION DOLLAR LEGS - One of the funniest 1930's comedies with W.C. Fields and Lyda Roberti
EASY LIVING - A Preston Sturges written comedy with Ray Milland, Jean Arthur and Edward Arnold
IF I HAD A MILLION - A great 1932 episode film starrring Gary Cooper, Jackie Oakie, George Raft, W.C. Fields, Charles Laughton and Mae Robson....among many others
MURDER AT THE VANITIES - wild murder mystery-comedy taking place behind the scenes of a Broadway show, starring Kitty Carlisle, Carl Brisson (yikes!), Victor McLaglen and Duke Ellington's Orchestra, and a musical number of nearly naked ladies dressed up to be huge perfume bottles!
RUGGLES OF RED GAP - great comedy with Charles Laughton
BIG BROADCAST OF 1932 - great comedy with Bing Crosby, Boswell Sisters, Burns & Allen, and Cab Calloway

Boy....and that's just off the top of my head.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale

Ah, excellent news. I really enjoyed all three of last years Legacy Series DVDs from Universal.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
Fantastic news!! It has taken long enough, but it is finally on the way. Still, I won't part with my Image disc until I see this new one with my own eyes. If it is anything like the other releases in the series (Deer Hunter, The Sting, To Kill a Mockingbird), then this should be great!

Charles H

Screenwriter
James M. Cain's DOUBLE INDEMNITY was inspired by the actual 1927 Snyder-Gray case. The execution of Ruth Snyder for her complicity in the murder of her husband was secretly photographed by a tabloid cameraman and that inspired James Cagney's PICTURE SNATCHER (1933), a terrific WB film that was mentioned as a candidate for dvd release by HTF members but apparently squelched in the last WB chat.

AlexNoir

Agent
I hope they don't stick with the same brownish-type color for the box of this one. Yes, shallow, I know...but they should stick with the classy-looking poster that the crappy Image DVD offered, on black.

Matt Fisher

Second Unit
As long as this film gets the proper release it deserves, the artwork doesn't matter to me. One of my top 5 films of all time, I'll just be happy to not have to deal with the Image disc any more.

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I am so glad this will be a Legacy Series release. The work on last year's TKAM was great, so I have great expectations about this release.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks