What's new

Double Dip rumours on "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" are NOT TRUE! (1 Viewer)

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Magnus, thanks--you've saved me lots of money (I'm one of the ones that had to upgrade from the 2-disc BLACK PEARL to the 3-discer); it will be easy for me to wait until May because that's probably the first time I would have watched the DEAD MAN'S CHEST DVD anyway, right before going to the theaer to see the final installment.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Not that I don't appreciate good sarcasm, but I think you're missing the point. Why wouldn't I want the film itself? I'm just okay with waiting five months to get a better package. Whenever a studio releases a film I like in different versions simultaneously, I pick up the better one. So it's nice to know this ahead of time.

Bill Thomann

Supporting Actor
Thanks op for saving me $ when I'll be spending so much on other major dvd releases (Superman 14 disc, MI Season 1, Disney Treasures, Narnia, Bond boxes 3 & 4, etc...). Hell, I might not have gotten around to watching it until May AND I'm a sucker for the best set released & would've definitely double dipped. I'll be happy to wait for the 3 disc.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Maybe this news is fake (though I don't think it is) but I sure can't see how people would just automatically say that a three discer isn't real. They did the same thing with the first one, why wouldn't they do it a second time especially when they'll be able to tie it right into the theatrical release of the third one?

If it was a fake, it'd have actual features listed as being on Disc Three. The ad lists nothing other than what's on the two disc. If you're gonna fake something, you'd say things like "THREE HOUR EXTENDED VERSION!!!" or "HOURS OF DELETED SCENES!!!" or "SO MUCH BEHIND THE SCENES MATERIAL YOU'LL LEARN HOW TO MAKE THE MOVIE AT YOUR HOUSE!!!!" Or maybe they anticipated that I'd think that so it's how they're fooling me. :)

Magnus T

Supporting Actor

Glad you asked. This ad was in the second to last page of Disney's Video - Magazine, which chronicles upcoming releases and is sent to retailers. I got a copy, decided to scan the page and post about here. It's legit. Trust me. :)

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

Agreed, it is good to know ahead of time.

My sarcasm is more directed at 'extras' to begin with. Yes there are some excellent supplements out there and yes for someone that really loves a film, supplements can be a delightful way of learning more about the making of the film and related matters ... no doubt.

But many people watch only an occasional supplement to begin with (Often just a commentary track that they don't need a supplemental disc for to begin with).

Others buy with the intention of watching them yet never get around to it.

And yes, whatever floats your boat. If someone really really likes supplements to really really a lot of films, good for them.

I just don't get it. How often do 2 hours of supplements beat the alternative of watching some other fine film with that available time?

I guess I would rather shorten the long list of films that I want to see then watch most supplemental features.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Initially I thought I'd wait, but it doesn't say anything about an extended, director or alternate cut of the film on the 3 discer, and most if not all of the extras are going to be on the 2-discer...so it looks like I'm going to pull the trigger when it comes out next week.

If this were a LoTR type of double disc, with a longer cut and more extensive extras, I might wait, but as it stands I'll just get some instant grat for the holidays. :D

Chris Roberts

Stunt Coordinator
I'm mostly just interested in the movie not the extras. I watched the deleted scenes and a couple extras for Black Pearl once and haven't been interested in re-watching anything except the movie. Considering that I'll pick up the sooner (and probably cheaper) 2-disc version so I can enjoy it through the cold winter.

Also, I'm waiting until my eventual HD plunge to buy the ultimate box set of anything at this point.

AndrewR

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andrew Rubio
Disney has stated that the 3-Disc set is hoax.

From ultimatedisney.com:

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams
Guys... I just spoke with my contacts at Disney and they wanted to make sure that everyone knew that this 3 disc edition rumor is a complete hoax. The image in the original post is a total fabrication. Disney put a lot of work into the 2 disc release (I'll post a review later this evening) and I think you will all be very happy with it.

Again, Disney assures me that there is no 3 disc release coming. You can all rest assured of this.

Thanks!

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I wish they had a trailer for the next one on the 2 disc set. I have been looking at the extras last night. Watched Dead Man's Chest last night. Like it better than the first one.

I still wonder if Disney will do an extended cut in time for the third one even though the 3 disc announcement is a hoax.

Chris S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris S
:confused: Whats the point of faking something like this? Seems like a lot of effort for little to no pay off...

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Just pulled this from The Digital Bits in regards to the "Hoaxed" May release..............

Sign me up for the 2 disc set on Tuesday.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

I don't get it. First thing I looked at when the ad was called in to question was Mangus's sign-up date: January 2003.

Just checked now and found Mangus has 700+ posts.

Doesn't fit the profile of someone who's passing on an internet hoax.

Ben_Williams

Second Unit
Real Name
Ben Williams

I did the exact same thing. Who knows what the real story is, but his story regarding finding this in a Disney promotional piece is just plain false. I happen to be on the mailing list for all of the fliers and info sheets that go out to retailers and I never saw anything like this. The most upsetting thing about this to me, is that there are a lot of talented people at Disney who put months and months of hard work into this DVD release and false stories like this undermine all that hard work. I have it first hand that many of those folks were personally upset about this hoax.

Arild

Supporting Actor
Including all European ones? Cause Magnus lives in Norway, you know... This 3-disc edition could be a strictly European thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation155
Recent bookmarks