What's new

Doris Day Show Season 1 on 6/28/05 (1 Viewer)

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
According to Amazon.com the first season of The Doris Day Show will be released by MPI Home Video on June 28th in a 4-disc set. This is GREAT news, but as the first season was the weakest, I certainly hope the remaining four seasons get released. But I'm not compaining. I'm thrilled to see even the first season released.

With the 9 new-to-dvd feature films getting a release this year, 2005 is shaping up to be the year of Doris Day on DVD!

Joe Lugoff

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe
And here we go again -- will these be complete original prints, or cut syndication prints? Will there be any restoration done or will they just throw any crap they have on there? Will they -- oh, we all know all the questions.

I have a feeling this one will get the "Make Room for Daddy," not the "Dick Van Dyke" treatment.

Oh, well, que sera, sera.........

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Joe: The story I've pieced together from various sources is this: the original negatives (which Doris had retained ownership of per her CBS deal) were restored, as were her two television specials, sometime in 2003-04 in preparation of possible DVD releases. This was announced in various print sources, as well as on DorisDayTribute.com (which has a great accuracy track record.)

And according to Doris' biographer, Garry Mcgee, in his new book which came out last month, each set (if more than the first makes it out) will have the original complete, uncut epsiodes, interviews with cast members, and "footage of Day in other programs."

I was beginning to discount what Mcgee had written since I couldn't find any info about the sets, even on MPI's website, until today, when I saw Amazon had finally listed the set.

I can't wait!

Gregory V

Stunt Coordinator
I love Doris Day and would love to see her show again, though I was more into it when she was in the city. I thought the farm episodes quite corny. Seems I remember she felt the same way about it. I could be wrong though.
I read that when she first found out she was committed to the show was AFTER her husband died and she was just sickened at the set up of the show. But she was eventually able to change the format. And change the format. And change the format. And change the format.....lol

Mark To

Supporting Actor
Well, the one thing about this show, every season is like a new series. If you don't like the format, well the next season set will be a new one! But great heads up to John for catching this one. It's definitely one I'll get, as long as they go on it. Even though she was a big star, I have to say this one really surprises me. The show never did too well in syndication (its never been rerun in NY). Hey, if we're getting this one, can The Debbie Reynolds Show be far behind? Or how about The Smith Family with Henry Fonda and Ronnie Howard? Or The Jimmy Stewart Show? Oops, sorry, getting carried away there.

Gregory V

Stunt Coordinator
I would LOVE to see The Jimmy Stewart Show, and perhaps even the Debbie Reynolds show again. They never were in syndication were they? I think the last time I saw Doris Days show I was living in Greenville Mississippi in 1981. Last time I saw Carter Country too....

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
The Jimmy Stewart show ran on (where else) the Goodlife network about 18-24 months ago. I tried watching a bit but couldn't get into it. Ditto with the "New Dick Van Dyke" show that ran about the same time on Goodlife. Of course part of the problem is that they ran on Sunday nights opposite the Sopranos, which is one of the few current shows I'll watch.

Thanks to JohnMor for alerting us to this release. I wonder if the interviews with the cast members include Miss Day herself? She's very shy about giving any kind of interviews (although she gave Bill O'Reilly an audio interview last year).

Steve

Jeff#

Screenwriter
Unfortunately, no cable system I've been a subscriber of in either New Jersey or here in California carried Goodlife Network. I don't know anyone personally who heard of that channel. Are they on satellite?

The Jimmy Stewart Show sitcom would be interesting to see, but if you want to see Stewart at his best in his later years try to get a hold of his 90 minute lawyer series Hawkins.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Goodlife is on digital cable in Salt Lake City. I used to watch it when I lived there. It's not on the Las Vegas cable system, sadly.

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
The Doris Day show ran on Channel 55, a Long Island station in the mid-80s and I also remember it being part of the CBN lineup around that time as well.

JohnMor

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Moreland
Looking over MPI's track record, they seem to be completists where their series are concerned, so I think (hope) that bodes well for getting all the seasons of TDDS out.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
It does sound like a nice set. This series was hardly on my top list of wants, but I'll gladly be getting it. Haven't seen an episode in at least twenty years, and the thought of revisiting it does seem strangely appealing. And, I'm almost always more keen on buying sets for shows I've not seen as often, as opposed to shows I virtually have memorized from repeated exposure.

Mark To

Supporting Actor
I will of course be buying this, as I do practically every set that comes out from the 50s and 60s. I watched this show when it was on, although maybe not every week. Not a great show by 60s standards although it still puts it worlds ahead of what passes for comedy now. A sitcom where every joke isn't a sex joke or a putdown, imagine that. Plus Doris was still gorgeous when she did the show.

Jeff#

Screenwriter
The Doris Day Show was more from the 1970s than the 60s, since it started in 1968 and went to 1973. It's been written that with the success of The Mary Tyler Moore Show was the reason why Doris and the writers decided to make her into an independent career woman in the big city.

I've never seen The Doris Day Show, although I had a chance when CBN cable reran it in the early 1980s.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i've had one image from this show in my head for about 30 yrs now.
i remember seeing it (and liking it apparently) when i was just a rug rat, but i've NEVER seen it since then.
going over the synopsis of the show over on tvtome.com it sounds like the phase of the show i most vividly remember is from the later seasons- probably 4 on.
i seem to recall her San Francisco apartment (in my memory i see lots of white, yellows, greens, etc), but i don't remember any kids.
iirc, the shows theme was Que Sera Sera, wasn't it?

i'm pretty much 100% certain i've never seen the 'rural' eps that comprise the first and second seasons- and while i would rather just pick up the one(s) that implanted itself in my consciousness, the entire package sounds pretty nice, so i'll give this one a shot in June.
i hope MPI does continue with it because i would love to see those later seasons again- but it looks like a long way off

AnnaMaria

Stunt Coordinator
I have a vague recollection of this show since I was pretty young. I did watch it on it's first run but never saw it again. Up here in Canada we don't get the reruns Americans do. It's always the same ten shows with MASH running several times a day since it stopped being made. By the way, I have no desire to ever own MASH on DVD.

The one show that I do remember was when Doris went apartment hunting and she was being shown this apartment that was a mess, but she imgagined what it would look like when she was done with it.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Great news. I've already pre-ordered it.

I have never seen the show, but looked it up in her autobiography. Apparently, she HATED the first season. She said the scripts were terrible, she couldn't believe she was doing them. If they were a movie, she never would have looked twice at them.

But, then for the second season, she hired all new producers and writers, moved the setting to San Francisco and was a lot happier with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks