What's new

DOOM III: Gold news & Half Life 2 min req. (1 Viewer)

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I just realized something.....suppose I get the 5.1 speakers (5 speakers + subwoofer). How the hell do I physically setup my surroundings to accomodate this? I have a very small apartment, and I have no clue how to set this up.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
haha be creative or just get some speaker stands for the rear. I'm sure there are options available. A 5.1 card helps too. ;)

Mike- yes, Doom 3 relies heavily on the GPU.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
It has a great atmosphere but changing from Flashlight to Gun is getting monotonous, why doesn't the marine just gaffer tape the damn thing to his helmet? I'm getting a bit annoyed at blowing zombies and demons away in pitch black, I like to see the carnage.

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
No, what I was saying was that it should work both ways. If the demons can hide in the shadows and then pop out at you, you ought to be able to use the shadows to your advantage as well. As it is, you might as well be wearing neon because the demons know you're there as soon as you can see them.

But the popping out of the shadows is fine. It's the "wall" that drops to reveal a baddie hiding behind it that pisses me off. I know if I ever design a space station, I'm going to put in a whole lot of fake walls with empty space behind them, just in case demons want to hang out there until someone comes close. ;)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Oh, sorry about that. That's definitely a valid complaint. It lacks realism, but since it happened in the original Doom games, it doesn't really bother me.

...but I do agree that it's a cheap scare tactic.

Michael Ballack

Second Unit
Can I ask anyone who has this if Doom 3 comes with 3 discs or 4? My package had just a key where the fourth disc would go. Quick replys would be greatly appreciated

Shawn C

Screenwriter
Isn't the main purpose of this game to sell the engine technology to other developers? Look at all of the games that have been spawned from the Quake engines...

Jonathan Carter

Supporting Actor

Thank God. No offence but I'm glad this is a system killer like Far Cry. I'm tired of having a great rig that goes untested for the most part because developers always cater to the lowest common denominator as far as hardware goes. It's nice to have a game that makes use of, and justifies, the $$ I spent on my system.

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don
I'm really digging Doom III. The atmosphere is unbelievably tense.

I've been stuck on the first mission objective since I started playing on Tuesday. The last cutscene I saw was
the first "Imp" encounter
, and I just seem to keep walking around in circles
across the "bridge" I previously lowered; the room with the flame shooting from the pipe; the garage area; the "destroyed" air lock...

I know I'll eventually be able to proceed (hopefully before I get too frustrated and want to kick the screen in), but my point is that even though I'm not getting anywhere, I'm still terrified to open doors to rooms I know I've cleared out...and there ain't no way in HELL I'm playing this game with the lights off!

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron

As for the comment about the game being developed in order to sell the engine, well it worked! There's a lot of eye candy in this game despite the overall darkness. I was impressed just seeing heat ripples in the air wherever there was a high temperature heat exhaust in the area. I can just imagine what other game developers are planning at this stage now that they can see what the engine can do. Also, hardware manufacturers (especially video card makers) are probably now trying to figure out how to increase the efficiency of their already stressed out chipsets just to give their customers the power they need to play all these new games.

I don't have any game consoles for obvious reasons. But can any of the current models out there support the special effects that are found in this game?

Don Giro

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Don

My point is that I'm terrified enough with the lights ON...I don't ned it to be any darker around me!

Now, if I could just find my way to the next checkpoint...

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Haha I play this with my string lights on very dim. You sorta get used to the fear and take more chances, getting ready to press the your flashlight key whenever you hear something. I still get hella spooked when something out of the ordinary happens, meaning the scariest things are the little tricks they pull that don't actually hurt you.

There are 3 such occasions I can think of right now but I don't wanna spoil the surprise!

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Actually, that not true at all. While I just bought a "ridiculous computer system" and was able to run the game perfectly on Ultra Quality settings in a 1280x resulution, a friend of mine installed it on his 3-year old PC, with 512 RAM, 1.something GB Pentium 4, and some cheap GeForce 4 card. Running at the lowest resolution, and with most features in advanced turned on - the game is running pretty flawlessly. We had a good time. Of course you're not gonna get the eye-candy as you would with a GeForce 6800 Ultra card, which is what I have, and the graphics are mind-blowing, but playing Doom 3 on my friend's computer was still great fun. And it looked remarkably awesome, too.

Scott_lb

Supporting Actor
Does Doom III have some sort of "auto detection setting", similar to Far Cry, that automatically sets all the settings according to your hardware limitations?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Yah, but it's a little conservative. You can usually push it farther and get good performance.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I just played a bunch more. Let me say this...
Damn, Hell is fucking scary!

I've gotta take a break now, playing this game is exhausting :)

Christopher Chung

Stunt Coordinator
Can anybody provide a little help for me?

Man, I just bought my copy yesterday, and I tried installing it late last night, but I've been running into a particular problem.

Basically, after installing the game is where I run into the issue. When I start up the game, the splash screen starts as it should, then after selecting "new" game it will then start to load. After loading is finished, the game will completely shut down, and return to my desktop. I have already tried re-installing, and the newest versions of DirextX. I'm baffled!

My system:
3.0 GHz P4
ATI 9800 Pro
1 GB RAM

Has anybody run into this problem yet?
Thanks for any help guys,
Chris

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks