What's new

DOOM III: Gold news & Half Life 2 min req. (1 Viewer)

Neil J

Stunt Coordinator
Got an email from Best Buy today saying that Doom 3 will be available next week. I'm looking forward to this and Half-Life 2, whenever its released.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
Not playing this one unless I upgrade the Radeon 7500 video card, which I don't really plan on doing. My Xbox should meet the minimum requirements of:

-Xbox
-Xbox controller
-TV

Just fine though. :)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

Heh, that's funny, but that's my exact specs. I got a new Alienware with a GeForce 6800 Ultra about a month or two ago. Can't wait for this already!

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
My neighbours will be wondering what the hell is going on in my apartment. And for good reason! I have the computer system cross-connected with the home theater and front projection system! And I'm on vacation! :D

I believe my system is up to snuff with this game. I currently have a P4 "B" 2.4 GHz with 1 GB of memory and an original ATI 9600XT video card. All work surprisingly well with the latest games (including the Far Cry demo with most image settings set to "High"). I just hope playing Doom3 at 1280x720 resolution won't be too much for the video card.

I'm also hoping playing Doom3 in my living room won't be too much for my heart! :D

Jason Guardiano

Stunt Coordinator
Guess it's not a good idea for my laptop w/

1.6ghz, 512 RAM, Radeon 7500

at least I can still play everything else
(UT2004, DOOM, DOOM II ;) etc)

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Probably not. I think the lowest supported video board is the Radeon 8500.

Romier S

Senior HTF Member

Nope, incorrect on that one. Doom 3 supports down to a GeForce4 MX-440 64MB video card. The laptop mentioned should actually be able to run Doom 3 at low quality settings and 640X480 resolution pretty decently according to this article:

http://www2.hardocp.com/article.html?art=NjQ0

It was done in conjunction with Id Software and details the various quality settings and how scalable the engine really is. Its utterly impressive how well the game runs on even low end hardware. Give it a look.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone

I was only talking about ATI boards, but I still may be wrong. How does the Radeon 7500 compare to the GF4 MX?

Kami

Screenwriter
This is, without a doubt, the scariest game I have ever played. I've been glued to it all day with the curtains closed and the sound cranked.

It runs decently on my system but it still chugs when there's lots of action on screen. I have:
Athlon XP 2400+
1.25GB DDR RAM
Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB

I am running 800x600 in Medium settings, all the special effects in Advanced I have turned on. I might do some experimenting later to see how each one affects performance.

This game is so good that I am debating ordering new parts as we speak just to play it better.

And for those of you overclocking your video card, good luck doing it with Doom3. I had mind mildly o/c'ed since I first got it and no games have ever showed any artifacting -- until Doom3. Carmack wasn't lying when he said that people o/cing might have problems as Doom3 accesses certain transistors on the GPU that no game has used before, so extra heat is generated.

Everything about this game is good. It's freakishly dark and you will find yourself using your flashlight 90% of the time and I'm not joking. I find it best to bind the flashlight to one of your extra mouse buttons so you can quickly switch back and forth between the flashlight and your current weapon.

The PDA feature is great. It's not just something thrown in - it is crucial to the game.

Two big thumbs up so far, and I am not very far yet.

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
ARGH!!!!!

Just placed order for Athlon 64 3200+ CPU with motherboard over at NewEgg with next-day shipping and I am on everybody's wait list on the BFG 6800 GT OC video card.

I hate Doom III

ARGH!!!!!

Ray:)

Raymond_H

Stunt Coordinator
Hey all,

Ok, here is the situation I am in....

Currently, I have some kinda of AMD Athlon Processor that is currently clocking @ 1.2, with 896 DDR333 RAM and a Radeon 9600. Currently just getting 2140 score on 3dMark 2003.

Today I upgraded my Processor to a AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Retail, and a GIGABYTE Motherboard AMD 64 capable.

First question, will my current Kingston RAM work with my new setup? The motherboard is capable of DDR400 and I am thinking it will just run @ 333 but is it as simple as that?

Next question, any type of gains will I get on Doom III or any other game (UT04, Far Cry, etc...) with the new CPU/Board. I do plan on getting the BFG 6800 GT OC but its OUT-OF-STOCK EVERYWHERE at this moment, so that will have to wait. Checking up on the Hardware guide that kinda of system with DDR400 RAM will be excellent, just curious if I will see out of box gains from my new CPU/Board.

BTW, local Gamestop here in Cerritos, CA will be giving those who pre-order the game tonight @ 7pm. Cool!

Ray

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
As far as I know, you should be able to change the RAM speed in the bios to 333. RAM speeds are usually backwards compatible, so you shouldn't have a problem.

Sounds like you've got a kick-ass system (once you find that 6800GT :))

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
You can run PC2700 (333 DDR) on an Athlon 64 board. In fact, it isn't even that much of a performance hit because of the integrated memory controller in the Athlon64 chip.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Echoing Kami on Doom 3's scariness. I never really liked the series so I wasn't prepared for all the monsters that jump out at you in the dark. :b Multiplayer seems pretty fun, feels a lot like Quake. Just see what happens when you get a flaming head and go posessed!

I also flashed my 5900 to a 5950 and see a tad of artifacting, but in the form of white dots no bigger than a pixel that only appear on a face when a lot is happening on screen. I have more than adequate cooling too.

The graphics look great in high at 1024 but I'm gonna see how much more FPS I get when I use the projector at 848x480.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Steve Latshaw
Recent bookmarks