What's new

Dont know what to buy (1 Viewer)

Ok so I am wanting to make a entertainment room in my basement but im not sure which type of tv to buy. The basement is super dark bc there are no windows so lighting will not be a issue. I have been looking at the mitsubishi DLPs and not really sure about them bc I have never seen one in person. I am only wanting to spend about 1600. by time I get ready to buy the tv I may spend more idk. I want something that has a great pic for movies and my video games. I dont know rather to buy the DLP, LCD, Plasma or a Projector of some kind. I am going to size and quality and as I have never seen a projector either im not sure about them. The 73" diamond series DLP looks like it would be good but idk. just like some input.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
hard to do well at your price point. the 73" mits is very good. Id like to recommend a PJ but very hard to do at your price point (but it would be a bigger image). fun stuff!! Gregg

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
David, you can buy a nice projector with your budget, but you'd have to use a DIY screen. Also, do you already have a sound system? If not, forget about a projector with your budget.

Yeah i mean if there is something worth it I can maybe try to get a bigger budget. I planed on buying it with whats left from my finacial aid this semester and would probably be in september so I can save a get more by then. The problem is I have never seen a mits TV first hand or a HD projector and there really is no where close to view one. All I have at the moment is a 42" Vizio which looks great. I have Direct TV HD and use my 360 and PS3 alot. My main concern is the pic quality on either one. My tv looks amazing and its not even the best you can buy. I can see every little thing with ppls skin and all the detail and will I get that with a projector or the mits? I will mainly use for playing my games to and if they wont have good detail i wont like it for that. I got a sound system and idc to do a DIY screen. is there any certain projector that will work good for me. maybe one at my price range and one that would be a better choice it the budget was higher. Viewing distance is pretty much whatever I want it to be as the basement isnt finished yet. thanks for the help.;

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
The only issue with a projector is the bulb life(if you play video games a lot). The hours will add up quick. The 2 best projectors with your budget are the Mits. HC4000(DLP) and Epson 8350(LCD). As long as you don't sit too close, either will look excellent.

well i heard the espon was good from what i read on the forums but which would be better. If I had a larger budget is there another that is even better. sorry im dont know alot about them. I just hate to spend the money on them and the quality not be as good as I would like ya know. with the dlp i dont think the bulb life is much different and if the bulb last 4000 hours that 8 hours a day for 500 days so that aint bad. my main concern is picture quality. not price or nothing else.

I guess im going with the Epson 8700ub thanks to this question what kinda screen do i need and whats the biggest screen size,

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
David Mathews said:
I guess im going with the Epson 8700ub thanks to this question what kinda screen do i need and whats the biggest screen size,
Good choice. I didn't recommend it because you said your budget was $1,600. I would get a white screen, and the size depends on your seating distance from screen.

yeah i wana go with a 120 maybe bigger.That video sold me mainly bc its 120hz and the black levels are so much better. Im just going to save to get what i want come time I should have it Not the mention the projectorpeople.com have it for $1899 with free shipping and a free lamp. Now only if I can find a promo code, lol. Wheres the best place yet cheaper place to buy a good screen

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
David, what is your seating distance from screen? You don't want to buy a screen that's too big for your seating distance. With a 120" diagonal screen, you should sit about 13.5' from screen. EX: Screen width X 1.5 = seating distance. I don't know where you should buy the screen, I use a DIY screen.

The seating distance is just where ever i put my chair I guess. my basement is unfinished right now so I have alot of room for my home theater room just gotta decide where about to start framing it in at, lol. 13.5' will be no problem. I have been looking and looking at screens and dont know. whats the best method of a DIY screen. I would just use the wall temporarly but its block, lol.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
There are numerous DIY screen options. Mine is a sheet of "Wilsonart" Designer White laminate, matte finish. It's glued to a sheet of 1/2" Medium Density Fiberboard, then hung on the wall with french cleats. You can also use blackout cloth, stretch it over a frame of 1X4's, staple it to the back, and hang it on the wall. Or you can mount a sheet of MDF(above) to the wall and paint it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks