What's new

Don't Buy That new 4k TV (1 Viewer)

Doug Pyle

Second Unit
Real Name
Doug
OLED EF9500 purchased. 4K, HDR, HDMI 2.0a. Upconverted blu ray and amazingly crisp and easy-on-eyes passive 3D, a I would not go back to either 1080p or LCD/LED. Maybe it's the combination of both 4k + OLED's true black with infinite contrast, but with m1080p upconverted conten looking better than ever before, I doesn't matter that I'm waiting for native 4K content. I'm re-watching Blu Rays afresh with new revelations into the color, textures and detail as never before.
One caveat: I experienced some panel lottery issues with the 65" LG so may suggest go for the more reliable 55" version.
But speaking not from theory or distance-viewing charts dogma, but from actually owning and seeing first hand, if you love movies and, especially, if 3D clarity at full HD resolution to each eye is something you might appreciate, an OLED 4K panel makes perfect sense now. Future 4K content will be icing on the cake.

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
4K is just one element of the new TV system. We now have HDR, WCG, 10-bit panels and PQ digital gamma.

So if 4K resolution does not tickle your fancy, I know you will all love seeing the wider color pallet of P3, aka DCI and everyone will be at awe with the enhanced and far more accurate color space, greatly improved color saturation and color fidelity. HDR adds specular highlights, with a real to life look that no one has every experienced on a TV display before. Last but certainly not least is the the new digital PG gamma that comes out of black evenly and linear vs. the gamma curve we were stuck with from the CRT days. All of these upgrades help today's high-end TVs deliver images more closely to how the human eyes see.

The new 4K is far more than denser and smaller pixels, it's new TV standards and the new high-end TVs that come to the market every 25 or so years. In fact, the last TV system was created in 1998 with rec.709 color, and resolutions of 720p, 768p, 1080i. Before that we moved from the early 60's analog color TV with the CRT 275 lines and rec.601 color to. Before that we had B&W TV.

Don't be afraid to jump into 4K, just do it wisely with displays capable to handle HDR, WCG, 10-bit panel and PQ digital gamma.

Enjoy!

-Robert

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Raul Marquez said:
My suggestion:

Do as I did. Bought a Samsung 4K set with an upgradable "One Connect" box, a way of future-proofing your purchase.

Bought my set last year (65") and with the purchase of the "One Connect" box a couple of weeks ago I now have HDR in my set.

I sit around 6' from the screen and I DO see a difference !

One purchase which although expensive I have yet to regret.
1. Does the One Connect box come with the tv or does it have to be bought separately?

2. Is 6' too close to sit before a 65" screen?

Thanks

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
JoeDoakes said:
1. Does the One Connect box come with the tv or does it have to be bought separately?

2. Is 6' too close to sit before a 65" screen?

Thanks

Yes, the OneConnect Box is part of the set (I bought the new OneConnect box as an upgrade to the set). I sit at that distance and love it! (Higher resolutions allow you to sit closer to the set IMHO)

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Have been very busy with trips (HTF Hollywood Meet & Vegas) and catching up with work, including remodeling of my medical office and setting up an electronic medical record system, so I had not installed the OneConnect box (model SEK-3500U) to upgrade my 2014 65inch Curved Samsung 4K series 9000 set until last night.

All I can say is WOW!

Images are SPECTACULAR!

(and I haven't done a complete calibration on this set yet)

What this box does is upgrade the set so that you can see HDR content available now on some legit download sites (you download a video file to a USB 3.0 stick and insert it into the OneConnect box), and some Amazon streaming series. The new 4k Blu-ray players which were supposed to be on sale this Xmas (I guess Spring is more likely) will now connect to my set without problems.

Samsung really got it right this time. I feel like I just bought a brand new display!

Raul

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
Our 70" JVC LCoS rear projection set finally conked out a few weeks ago. Light engine finally failed after 8 years of use. So, we needed to buy a new TV for our main home theater viewing room. And, if possible, I wanted to go a little bit larger, not smaller. :)

I looked at a lot of sets in Best Buy, Frys and Costco. We finally settled on the Vizio M75-C1, which is a fairly new 4K TV release (the 70" and 80" Vizio 4K sets were released earlier in the year, the 75" set didn't get released until around October or so). Costco's price was $2899 but I knew that the price would drop between then and Thanksgiving. And, sure enough, it dropped another $500 and Costco gave me a refund for the difference! $2399 for a 4K TV at 75" seems pretty reasonable to me, especially when I consider we originally paid $4299 for the JVC set!

I absolutely LOVE this TV! After some trial and error, I successfully arrived at settings to get rid of the Soap Opera Effect (common on LCD TVs) and every Blu-ray and HD TV show looks phenomenal. The set has awesome blacks for LCD. One of my friends is a big plasma fan (because of the blacks) and even he was impressed.

I'm also pleased with the selection of apps available. I'm using PLEX to stream Seinfeld episodes from my PLEX media server and I'm VERY pleased that Vizio offers the Amazon Instant Video app (a lot of smart TVs don't).

Will HDR eventually be a feature that Vizio and every 4K TV manufacturer offers? Probably. But I can wait and get that feature next time. I needed a TV right now and I figured I might as well get a 4K set, just to be ready for 4K Blu-ray, :)

Mark

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I did buy a new 4k TV.

It's wasn't a purchase just to upgrade but one of need. My old DLP broke down and repairing it just didn't make sense. I really didn't see buying old tech so I picked up a Samsung 8500 series 65" when they were on sale.

It's picture quality is beautiful, and I'm sure I'll be enjoying it for many years to come.

I checked out some UHD from Netflix, looks great.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Patrick_S said:
I did buy a new 4k TV.

It's wasn't a purchase just to upgrade but one of need. My old DLP broke down and repairing it just didn't make sense. I really didn't see buying old tech so I picked up a Samsung 8500 series 65" when they were on sale.

It's picture quality is beautiful, and I'm sure I'll be enjoying it for many years to come.

I checked out some UHD from Netflix, looks great.
Good luck with the new display. Why you pick this model?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Patrick,

Congrats on your purchase. I am sure you will be very happy with the display.

And certainly, if you have to buy a new display now it's a smart thing to go 4k.

But just to clarify when all these people talk about how gorgeous the picture looks....

....nobody is actually watching 4k content as of right now. Correct?

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Ronald Epstein said:
Patrick,

Congrats on your purchase. I am sure you will be very happy with the display.

And certainly, if you have to buy a new display now it's a smart thing to go 4k.

But just to clarify when all these people talk about how gorgeous the picture looks....

....nobody is actually watching 4k content as of right now. Correct?

Yes Ron, WE ARE WATCHING 4K CONTENT NOW!!!

(Contrary to what naysayers would like you to believe)

Amazon, Netflix and YouTube all provide some 4K content.

Also, these sets can upscale 1080p to 4K, and I DO see a difference.

In some of his reviews Robert Harris mentions this.

I expect 4K Blu-ray players to be released in the 1st quarter of 2016 and that will change things.

Raul

Robert_Zohn

Value Electronics
Premium
Insider
Real Name
Robert Zohn
Congrats Patrick on your new 4K TV!

Yes, to everything Raul says, plus VUDU is also streaming 4K. VUDU and Amazon Instant Video are the only two carriers with HDR and WCG 4K content. Netflix will add HDR and WCG bu Q1 '16 and of course, the upcoming UHD BD will support WCG, HDR, 10-bit and the new digital PQ linear gamma.

We'll see some new 4K BD players at CES in a few weeks, plus Sony Pictures and FOX have announced the first Ultra HD BD titles that will also launch January '16.

Anyone going to CES and would like to meet?

-Robert

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
Congratulations Patrick. Hopefully, even the Raiders putrid play will look good on your new display. :)

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
Robert_Zohn said:
4K is just one element of the new TV system. We now have HDR, WCG, 10-bit panels and PQ digital gamma.

So if 4K resolution does not tickle your fancy, I know you will all love seeing the wider color pallet of P3, aka DCI and everyone will be at awe with the enhanced and far more accurate color space, greatly improved color saturation and color fidelity. HDR adds specular highlights, with a real to life look that no one has every experienced on a TV display before. Last but certainly not least is the the new digital PG gamma that comes out of black evenly and linear vs. the gamma curve we were stuck with from the CRT days. All of these upgrades help today's high-end TVs deliver images more closely to how the human eyes see.

The new 4K is far more than denser and smaller pixels, it's new TV standards and the new high-end TVs that come to the market every 25 or so years. In fact, the last TV system was created in 1998 with rec.709 color, and resolutions of 720p, 768p, 1080i. Before that we moved from the early 60's analog color TV with the CRT 275 lines and rec.601 color to. Before that we had B&W TV.

Don't be afraid to jump into 4K, just do it wisely with displays capable to handle HDR, WCG, 10-bit panel and PQ digital gamma.

Enjoy!

-Robert
I think I hit all of those ticks when I got my new Samsung UN65JS8500. The only tick I didn't check off was FALD... but that just wasn't in my budget. I could have waited another two years and sat and watched my 42 inch Panasonic Plasma which I did love.. but I would have given up two to three years of 65 inch goodness with a TV that does.. IMO.. a pretty stellar job of up-converting my PS4 games, and my 3d Blu-rays look pretty damn amazing to me as well. Oh yeah.. and I could be hit by a train tomorrow too. So you just never know. Trying to live in the moment within my means.. at least somewhat :)

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
Raul Marquez said:
Yes, the OneConnect Box is part of the set (I bought the new OneConnect box as an upgrade to the set). I sit at that distance and love it! (Higher resolutions allow you to sit closer to the set IMHO)

You know... I did realize later that my television came with the OneConnect Mini instead of the full oneconnect. I guess mine isn't as upgradeable as yours.. but I think my TV has all of the elements for the future at least currently in the offing. And I equally sit about 7 feet away or so from my new 65 inch Sammy with 10-bit nano-crystal display. It's beautiful.. but Samsung does owe me a new panel. I have some weird waves in the panel.. almost as if perhaps when it was manufactured the bezel.. or clips perhaps on the screen were too tight? It looks strange.. but they've already agreed to replace the screen for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks