What's new

Donnie Darko Directors Cut DVD? (1 Viewer)

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
Glad to see some much-deserved love for the Director's Cut in this thread. I was beginning to think I was the only one...

I first fell under DONNIE DARKO's spell via the theatrical cut, but the ending always left me cold. The film seemed to be building towards something so Earth-shatteringly huge and unbelievable, that Donnie going back in time
just seemed to be a bit of a BLAH conclusion...

Watching the "Director's Cut", suddenly the ending fits the film, and while it's not quite as "mysterious", there are more subtexts to ponder this time, like was it God guiding Donnie, or some other alien advanced intelligence?

Watching the Director's Cut of DONNIE DARKO, I feel like I'm watching a complete, cohesive work that still leaves a lot up to the audience to interpret and discover for themselves. Watching the Theatrical Cut, I feel as if I'm watching a mind-fuck movie that doesn't know how to end itself. It's very, very good, but the ending doesn't quite fit the truncated movie that came before, and that hurts the whole.

Vincent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks