What's new

Donna Reed Show -- review?? (1 Viewer)

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
Just got this set and am enjoying it very much! My 12 year old daughter loves it!

I've read that the Donna Reed Estate owns the first 5 seasons while Sony owns the last 3. Does anyone know WHY the Estate doesn't own the whole series? Seems to me that IF Sony decides to put out the last 3 seasons, they would be syndicated versions since that was the case with the 2 episode disc that came in select cereal boxes.

William Miller

Second Unit
There are audio problems on the Donna Reed Show.

They used that restoration system which makes the background dead quiet when there is no sound present. But when people speak or music is played, a loud hiss accompanies the audio. I find this to be very annoying.

The video is fine.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
I haven't gotten too far into the set, but so far the picture is certainly acceptable on a 65" screen, and doesn't seem to suffer from DNR or edge enhancement. There is some dirt and scratching, especially at the heads of episodes, so I doubt AAA had much restoration budget beyond the hiss elimination. I'm overjoyed to have these episodes, and it could have been much, much worse.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
I'm on disc four and I have no complaints at all. I forgot how much I enjoyed this show while growing up. IMO, it stands up much better than many other sitcoms from the era. I eagerly look forward to season two!

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
I only watch 2- 3 episodes per week to make it last till season 2 comes out. Of course it helps, that I have alot of other unwatched dvd sets as well to view.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

That's exactly how this one's grabbing me! I can't believe how good this show is while watching the DVD's. This one's basically a blind-buy as I don't remember the early 60's episodes when Mom & Dad watched it in primetime. I didn't see this one at all over the years in syndication.

I'm on Disc 1 and watched "The Foundling" last weekend. WOW! Guest Paul Picerni (Untouchables) was great and what a story!

Elena, you're sure right about this show. I have that release date for S2 on my list :emoji_thumbsup:

Maybe it's just me but I get a different "flavor" out of this show that's different from the other similar shows from the late 50's-early 60's as Gary said.

Greg2356

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Marc
Originally Posted by Jeff Willis ">[/url]

That's exactly how this one's grabbing me! I can't believe how good this show is while watching the DVD's. This one's basically a blind-buy as I don't remember the early 60's episodes when Mom & Dad watched it in primetime. I didn't see this one at all over the years in syndication.

I'm on Disc 1 and watched "The Foundling" last weekend. WOW! Guest Paul Picerni (Untouchables) was great and what a story!

Elena, you're sure right about this show. I have that release date for S2 on my list

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks