What's new

Dolby TrueHD, DTS HD.. Toshiba HD-A2... need help (1 Viewer)

soshiv

Auditioning
Real Name
Curt
I am probably just confusing myself but here goes, I have a Toshiba HD-A2 and an Onkyo TX-SR605. I want to take advantage of Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD. How would I connect the player to the receiver to get this audio? From what I have read the toshiba is hdmi 1.2 which doesnt support True HD right? And if you connect through optical doesnt is downscale the audio? I am confused...

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Does your Onkyo have at least hdmi 1.1? Or, does it have 5.1 or 7.1 digital audio connections (via multiple rca connectors)? If yes, then you're in luck because the player will decode the dd trueHD and send to your receiver as pcm. No luck regarding the dts HD though. You will get the down mixed dts at 1.5Mbps as the player does not decode dts HD.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
you need to buy an HDMI cable from the HD player to the receiver.. and also an HDMI or HDMI or dvi cable from the receiver to the tv set.

Jacob

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

No player on the market right now supports outputting the DD+ or TrueHD streams to a receiver. But that doesn't matter, because all players (including your A2) will decode the format internally and then send the decoded channels out as full multi-channel PCM streams over the HDMI. To take advantage of this, your receiver has to be able to handle multi-channel PCM, which your Onkyo 605 does. In addition, if there are ever any future players which will send the undecoded streams, the Onkyo is future proof because it will decode them itself. The best thing about this? Well aside from what may be minor diffences in decoding the lossy DD+ tracks, TrueHD is a lossless format, so whether decoded by the player or the receiver the result is exactly the same.

So for your setup, hook up an HDMI cable and set the HDMI output to "Bitstream"; you'll be getting the best audio possible from HD-DVD. Note that regardless of what format is being sent via the HD-A2 (visible by hitting the "Display" button), your Onkyo will display "DVD MultiChannel" with all HD audio sources (DD+, TrueHD). Regular DD/DTS will display normally.

Edit: As Neil said, DTS-HD is not decoded. It will only pass the DTS core (equal to regualr DTS).

soshiv

Auditioning
Real Name
Curt
So technically I didnt need the tx-sr605? I could have gone with the tx-sr505? I wonder how it will sound with my setup: TOSHIBA HD-A2, ONKYO TX-SR605, KEF KHT-3005

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

The 605 is future proof for HD audio and also handles video better than the 505, because it will upconvert composite, s-vid and component to HDMI. The 605 is also HDMI 1.3 compatible, which will be a plus with the next generation displays and players.

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
Actually you should set the audio output of your player to "PCM" to get the high resolution audio. Bitstream will only get you the core DTS track for HD DVD's. The PCM setting will pass lossless PCM (for TrueHD) and Multi Ch. PCM for DD +.

Take Care,
Dalton

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member

You are correct. Digital Out HDMI doesn't even have a "Bitstream" setting on the A2. Either "Auto" or "PCM" will suffice for his setup.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

soshiv

Auditioning
Real Name
Curt
Update: My tx-sr605 is a victim of the constant clicking, apparantly this is a known problem with this model... I have returned it and am considering purchasing the tx-sr505 until I can save up enough for my denon 3808... will this tx-sr505 accept lossless audio via hdmi so that I can still get dolby TrueHD??

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks