What's new

Dolby Pro Logic II Confusion (1 Viewer)

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
This along with DTS NEO:6 are really the best reasons to upgrade past 5.1 in my opinion.
:confused: When I went from DPL in a 5.1 system to DPLII in a 5.1 system the improvement using either DPLII or DTS:NEO was dramatic. There is no need to go to 6.1 or 7.1 to enjoy the benefits of DPL II, it's a purely 5.1 technology. Now, some systems like my Outlaw 950 do very nice things with a 5.1 signal, including a DPL II signal, using proprietary technology, to make it use the 6th and 7th speakers, but DPLII itself has nothing to do with anything above 5.1.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
It does make sense with anything but the newest batch of receivers, though. PLII only expanded to a 5.1 surround field, whereas neo6, circle surround, Logic 7 (a bit more copmlicated with L7) could expand stereo to 6 or 7 channels. Still, this isn't really the reason to be going beyond 5.1, its much more useful for discrete 5.1 or 6.1 DD/DTS tracks.

Paul D. K.

Stunt Coordinator
If a unit such as the B&K Ref. 50 has DPLII, DDS-EX, DTS-ES, Neo:6, HX Ultra2 and THX Surround EX - do I need DPLIIx? I only have a 5.1 speaker system.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
If you only have a 5.1 setup, then definitely no. If you had 6.1/7.1 I still wouldn't factor it into my decision much, as I could just use neo6 and the like.

John S

Senior HTF Member
DPLII and THX EQ post processing applied, is going to be very close to DLPIIx in my opinion anyways.

GregBe

Second Unit
I have a 6.1 system, and my choices DPLII music, DPLII movies, and Neo6. Is Neo 6 the obvious choice for movies that are not DD or DTS. According to Chris, this is the best option if you have the center surround channel. The reason I ask is that DPLII music sounds the most solid in the bass area on my system. DPLII movie and Neo 6 movie just sound a little thin in the vocals to me. I feel wrong to use it for movies when there are two specific movie options. Do some people use "music" for movies, or did I just configure it wrong or need to get used to it the way is sounds.
Greg

Albert M

Stunt Coordinator
I also prefer DPL2 music mode when watching 2 channel material. Jim Fosgate created DPL2 and has said he prefers DPL2 music mode for movies.

Chuck Schilling

Stunt Coordinator
I have at least a dozen DVD's in my collection that sound not just better, but MUCH better in plain old Pro Logic than they do in DD (one actually sounds better in Pro Logic than it does in DTS!). We are truly at the mercy of the mastering process when it comes to source material, and sometimes the digital soundtrack mastering seems to be entirely an afterthought. I daresay there is probably a significant number of "veteran" sound engineers who are more comfortable doing a 2-channel than a multichannel mixdown, and unless the director of the film gives enough of a damn to check it out before the DVD is mastered, that'll slip through.

Roger Dressler

Stunt Coordinator
John wrote:
>>DPLII and THX EQ post processing applied, is going to be very close to DLPIIx in my opinion anyways.

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
Is there any signifigance to the fact that Dolby Digital doesnt turn on on my reciever unless i go to PLII: Movie or Music first then play the movie?

John S

Senior HTF Member
I don't think I follow yoy Allen Jobs????

If you have a 5.1 setup, that is all you have....

You don't get 6.1 and 7.1 just by adding an amp or two.

Allen Marshall

Supporting Actor
nevermind, i do mean amp, wires go from the amp the speakers so if i have an amp that is 7 channels and i only have 5 speakers do i hook the rears up to the front effects or the surrounds on an amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks