What's new

Dolby Digital Plus question (1 Viewer)

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
:emoji_thumbsup: Thanks for the link Rob. I read back from the post a few pages and I could not determine where anyone mentioned that the next firmware release would have support for 5.1 Tue HD decoding.

To be accurate, I did not read the whole thread, so the reference may well be present, or it could be that some of the veiled comments referred to that support, but as I did not have my Captain Midnight Secret Decoder Ring, I was unable to determine that it was Tru HD that was being referenced.

Paul Anthony

Stunt Coordinator
JohnS, your "Cable" link doesn't seem to work. Anyway, you need analog or HDMI cables to get the Dolby Digital Plus sound. The analog cables connect to the external input (EXT. IN) of your Denon receiver (it's where the Super Audio CD usually connects for the multi-channel sound format), if you have a HDMI input, then a HDMI cable is the best way to go! :) Also, make sure your receiver is switched to "DVD EXT. IN" while playing HD-DVDs.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
DD+ through HDMI is a non starter right now. There are no receivers or pre-amps with the new audio formats on board as there are no HDMI 1.3 chips to put in said equipment. Perhaps not until late this year.

You'll just have to use 6 analog audio cables to your Denon's external analog inputs.

DD+ or DTS-HD is converted to 1.5 Megabits/sec DTS if you run them through the coaxial or toslink optical outputs.

Dan

Rob_HD

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Dan - I wouldn't want anyone to get confused, as your post left out the most obvious way.

The full multichannel DD+ audio is decoded by the HD DVD players and passed to AVRs over HDMI as multichannel PCM. This is the best method to enjoy the new codecs.

Having an AVR decode DD+ (or for that matter TruHD and DTS-HD) is a pipe dream since you would need new HDMI 1.3 Players that don't exist yet, as well as new HDMI 1.3 AVRs with decoders for these new audio formats (which don't exist yet either).

But you can get the full benefit of DD+ 5.1 right now today with almost any HDMI AVR (regardless of HDMI version) and an HD DVD player.

Rob_HD

Stunt Coordinator
No Probs, Lew.

What was stated in the thread is mostly these points:

1) the first firmware update dealt with playback issues on some machines, as well as key video problems such as clipping BTB/WTW.

2) The next firmware update will be out in a few weeks

3) The next update will deal with other user enhancement requests

4) There was a hint in one of the posts that audio would be addressed, but nothing specific was said

There is also a lot of speculation in the thread as to what will be in the next update:

1) is it TruHD 5.1? or DTS-HD?

3) is it 1080p24

etc.

Given that TruHD decoding is part of the madatory HD DVD player specs, my money is on the folks who are saying that TruHD multichannel is in the next update. Particularly given the fact that the SHARC chips in the machine are said to be perfectly capable of managing this task.

So by taking the information which has been provided in context with what the most important user requests were, along with the HD DVD specs themselves - one is left with the conclusion that TruHD is a high priority now...

Note that in the user poll on key requests here, that TruHD/DTSHD multichannel was the THIRD most requested item to be fixed or added.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=679107

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Hey, thanks guys.
I can head on over to Radio Shack, since the store next to me is closing down, and everything is 70% off. I can get my analog cables that way, untill the new Reciever comes out from Sony in Sept.

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Richard,

here you go
news- ugh! I just re-read it, not exactly what were looking for in the lines of True Dolby or Dolby+

Also, I'm connecting the analogs to my Denon, and I cant get sound out of the speakers, but just barely, what am I doing wrong?
The sound comes out fine when I'm setting the speakers up and using the test tones through the HD player.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
John, I don't have a Denon, but I'm sure that there is something in their setup menus that needs to be changed. I just tried to figure mine out (it isn't connected) with the manuals and well, ha, ha - good luck! :)

Glenn

John Macri

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
John:

On my Denon 1803 I have no problem with analog speaker volume. Try using the setup buttom to adjust the sound level of all the analog channels higher. You'll need to set the audio on the video source for the HD-A1 to EXT-IN, then press setup and scroll thru the speakers, setting each to the max +12. You should then have sufficent volume to adjust to your liking later. Also be check that the HD-A1's speaker levels are all set to "0".

Good luck...

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Man, I'm such a dolt!

I haven't used my Ext in ports before. and here when I was hooking up my HD DVD player to get the higher Doly bit rate, I was hooking up into my Denon using the Pre-outs- DUH! I didn't pay attention to see that the EXT in ports were at the bottome left.

Everything works great now.
Sound is MUCH better!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks