What's new

Dolby Atmos in the Home Theater, AVRs, and Separate (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would be willing to bet that there very well could be some kind of news at CES coming up in January. :D

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
One of the things I am waiting to find out is how Dolby Atmos will actually be used in the new surround receivers that will be coming out and how many titles will be available with Dolby Atmos??

Will we see titles like the following with 7.1 Dolby Atmos on Blu-ray?
The Hobbit: An unexpected journey
The Hobbit: The desolation of smaug
Gravity
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Thor: The Dark World
X Men: Days of future past
Avengers: Age of ultron

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Dave Moritz said:
One of the things I am waiting to find out is how Dolby Atmos will actually be used in the new surround receivers that will be coming out and how many titles will be available with Dolby Atmos??

Will we see titles like the following with 7.1 Dolby Atmos on Blu-ray?
The Hobbit: An unexpected journey
The Hobbit: The desolation of smaug
Gravity
Captain America: Winter Soldier
Thor: The Dark World
X Men: Days of future past
Avengers: Age of ultron
The announcement of the first wave should be this week or next.

And the Atmos Blu-ray's actually support up to 24.1.10 surround if you get a very expensive processor.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I think what I might shoot for is taking my 7.1 and upgrade it to a 13.2 or are the atmos counted separate? So if I was to add 4 Atmos channels to a 7.1 system and add a sub woofer and two front hight channels would it be 13.2 or 9.2.4 or 7.2.6?

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
Dave Moritz said:
I think what I might shoot for is taking my 7.1 and upgrade it to a 13.2 or are the atmos counted separate? So if I was to add 4 Atmos channels to a 7.1 system and add a sub woofer and two front hight channels would it be 13.2 or 9.2.4 or 7.2.6?
The are no "Atmos channels" per se. There is the channel bed, 7.1, and then a bunch of metadata controlled sound objects that are positioned with x/y/z coordinates in virtual 3D space. The renderer makes the determination where those objects should best be placed (panned or anchored at a fixed point... making it like a virtual channel) given their data instructions and where your speakers are (within set layout parameters, of course).

What happens is that the renderer software is scaled to whatever hardware processor you have, which effects the amount of discrete outputs the objects will be mapped to.

Dolby has broken the speaker/sub numbers down to the potential outputs of the hardware. So 7.1.4 means seven "main" speakers/one LFE sub channel/four overheads. 24.1.10 (the maximum) is 24 mains/one LFE channel/10 overheads. One Blu-ray Atmos soundtrack can do anything from 5.1.2 to 24.1.10. Any additional sub outputs are generated by digital bass management, as before.

In your case, you would want 9.2.4. Unfortunately, only the most expensive Atmos products will be able to do 13.2 at this time. It's quite a gap with the best "regular" products doing a maximum of 7.1.4 and the most expensive doing practically the entire 34 output configuration. There's no in between. Perhaps in the second generation products.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Wonder how much I would have to spend to get a receiver that will give me a 9.2.4 configuration? Here are a few new receivers listed with Atmos upgrades.

Recievers with Dolby Atmos
Onkyo TX-NR838 MSRP $1199
130 W (8 Ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.08%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
THD+N (Total Harmonic Distortion + Noise) 0.08% (20 Hz-20 kHz, Half power)
Power Consumption 8.1 A
# Channels 7.2
Dolby Atmos Ready ✓ (with upcoming firmware update)
HDMI I/O 7/2
HDMI 2.0 4K/60 Hz- Capable HDMI Terminals
Weight 34.2lbs
Onkyo TX-NR737 MSRP $899
95 W (8 Ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.08%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
Power Consumption 6.3 A
# Channels 7.2
HDMI I/O 7/2
Weight 22lbs

Onkyo TX-NR636 MSRP $699
95 W (8 Ohms, 20 Hz-20 kHz, 0.08%, 2 channels driven, FTC)
Power Consumption 6.3 A
# Channels 7.2
HDMI I/O 7/2
Weight 22lbs[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Open Sans', Arial, sans-serif;text-align:center;background-color:rgb(251,251,251);] [/color]

Pioneer Elite SC-89 MSRP $3000
140 W (20 Hz – 20 kHz, THD 0.08 % @ 8 ohms FTC) X 9
Power Consumption ?
# Channels 9.2
HDMI I/O 8/4
HDMI 2.0 4K/60 Hz- passthrough HDMI Terminals
Weight 38lbs[color=rgb(0,0,0);font-family:'Open Sans', Arial, sans-serif;text-align:center;background-color:rgb(251,251,251);] 12 oz[/color]

Pioneer Elite SC-87 MSRP $2000
Pioneer Elite SC-85 MSRP $1600

andySu

Senior HTF Member
I'd rather spend £899.00 on cat food then a new AVR with Dolby Atmos.

10391407_10152623438300149_2027565678414922466_n.jpg

I don't see a DOLBY ATMOS PLUS-II happening in a few weeks. That is 9 screen or 15 screen fronts behind behind the screen and below stereo surround and corner surrounds above and below on side walls and rear wall.

It will be sheer waste of money.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
andySu said:
I'd rather spend £899.00 on cat food then a new AVR with Dolby Atmos.

10391407_10152623438300149_2027565678414922466_n.jpg

I don't see a DOLBY ATMOS PLUS-II happening in a few weeks. That is 9 screen or 15 screen fronts behind behind the screen and below stereo surround and corner surrounds above and below on side walls and rear wall.

It will be sheer waste of money.
Says the person who has not heard it for themselves before passing judgment. ;)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
DanH1972 said:
Says the person who has not heard it for themselves before passing judgment. ;)
Well that's where your dead wrong. I've listened to it twice at the Empire Leicester Square, STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS last year, same day in two locations frontand centre row seat A23 then in the circle row, BB 29 its really shame now a Empire 1, is a LIEMAX cinema.

Hearing a few sound effects here and there moving around side wall and off few captain Kirk voice overhead pans form OHR to OHL, wow how dull a mix. I was expecting hard core on-screen directional dialogue for this so called epic, not. I'd sooner play STAR TREK V on DVD.

Passing on this maybe as there simple not enough channels.

The only time I'd buy is when I see a top line model for £150.00 on ebaY, in a few years. I'm not in hurry to one. My cat comes first. Atmos 4th or 6th place? I am human after all.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
andySu said:
Well that's where your dead wrong. I've listened to it twice at the Empire Leicester Square, STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS last year, same day in two locations frontand centre row seat A23 then in the circle row, BB 29 its really shame now a Empire 1, is a LIEMAX cinema.

Hearing a few sound effects here and there moving around side wall and off few captain Kirk voice overhead pans form OHR to OHL, wow how dull a mix. I was expecting hard core on-screen directional dialogue for this so called epic, not. I'd sooner play STAR TREK V on DVD.

Passing on this maybe as there simple not enough channels.

The only time I'd buy is when I see a top line model for £150.00 on ebaY, in a few years. I'm not in hurry to one. My cat comes first. Atmos 4th or 6th place? I am human after all.
Sure there are enough "channels." Didn't you know that home Atmos can do 34 discrete outputs plus subs when using a top end processor like the Trinnov, Datasat, and others? Onkyo, Denon and others are topping out at 7.1.4 right now due to the chips they're using for first generation products. Things will evolve.

And don't base Atmos on one track, I've heard others that were spectacular. Besides, the directionalized dialog in Star Trek only came into play if the auditorium had all five behind the screen speakers installed.

As with any soundtrack, the skill of the engineers come into play with how good the mix will end up being.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
DanH1972 said:
Sure there are enough "channels." Didn't you know that home Atmos can do 34 discrete outputs plus subs when using a top end processor like the Trinnov, Datasat, and others? Onkyo, Denon and others are topping out at 7.1.4 right now due to the chips they're using for first generation products. Things will evolve.

And don't base Atmos on one track, I've heard others that were spectacular. Besides, the directionalized dialog in Star Trek only came into play if the auditorium had all five behind the screen speakers installed.

As with any soundtrack, the skill of the engineers come into play with how good the mix will end up being.
Yes I do I read the white paper in no less than 2 mins, Still not enough to be a convincing enough to last decades at the overrated high price tag.

34 lol it has no STEREO BELOW SURROUND channels to offer.
It hasn't update the stage channels to be realistic for demanding listeners today. It needs at least 9 screen or at best 15 screen that is.

Upper stage channels LCR or L Le C Re R (same with the middle stage channels.
Below stage channels LCR or L Le C Re R

I watch the film as well as listening and the bad continuity issues I see with relation to sound images needs to be updated for today's now advanced listeners.

Also corner surrounds where wall meets ceiling and same with the floor and back wall.

I've owned CB radios for less money +30 years ago that had more channels even Cobra 148 GTL-DX that had modification done to that went beyond its standard 120 channels to 200 channels for £100.00. Dolby labs is taking the mickey with this.

I'd sooner wait a few years until I see one selling on ebay, for £130.00 £150.00, not paying £899.00. I'd sooner feed the cat and save up and watch all this unfold over the next 24 months.

I've been listening to films for a long time.

Myself (ex projectionist) and another projectionist, who I was chatting with at the MGM screen 1, Bournemouth, 1998, when they had installed Dolby DA20, and when standing at the back of the cinema left side rear or between the 6 sets of split-surrounds mounted to the wall, while watching THE PEACEMAKER (1997) opening titles with the train leaving the station, the camera moves upwards and the train exits off screen at 45 degree angle or underneath the screen and masking area but the sound to both us made no sense at all. We then both commented and agreed it should have "below surround" and that was thinking back in 1998.

I've had overhead height surrounds in my home cinema for over 10 years, big deal.

Also for a cinema to see height surrounds at one cinema, was it only in the USA, We Were Soldiers, big deal.

When working at UCI 25 years ago, all the 10 screens had the EV stage channels and surrounds was mounted to the suspended ceiling, and running cinema was only running 35mm Vic, V with Dolby CP55 and SRA5, and wow it sounded neat and guess that could be called "overhead matrix surround" all arranged in evenly and enveloping. I think the height was about 18 or so feet up.

I've seen another local cinema that had 6 flush mounted and spread around the downstairs Gaumont screen 2, also 4 more surrounds on the side wall and 2 on the back wall. That was great with STAR WARS in Dolby Stereo, December 1977. Now then.

My. personnel opinion I would wait and watch what models come out. Hey the Atmos bluray's ain't gonna grow a pair and legs and run off.

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Onkyo, "Atmos speaker". Well I don't know whether cry or laugh?

So cheap. Is that chipboard wood and looks like cheap 5" they bought from ebay for $4.50c and selling it for gods, know how much?

1544515_10152608671252165_4660317254084129430_n.jpg

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
andySu said:
Onkyo, "Atmos speaker". Well I don't know whether cry or laugh?

So cheap. Is that chipboard wood and looks like cheap 5" they bought from ebay for $4.50c and selling it for gods, know how much?

1544515_10152608671252165_4660317254084129430_n.jpg
MSRP of $250. I bet there will be a promo...buy the AVR, get the speakers...on selected models.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
andySu said:
Yes I do I read the white paper in no less than 2 mins, Still not enough to be a convincing enough to last decades at the overrated high price tag.

34 lol it has no STEREO BELOW SURROUND channels to offer.
It hasn't update the stage channels to be realistic for demanding listeners today. It needs at least 9 screen or at best 15 screen that is.

Upper stage channels LCR or L Le C Re R (same with the middle stage channels.
Below stage channels LCR or L Le C Re R

I watch the film as well as listening and the bad continuity issues I see with relation to sound images needs to be updated for today's now advanced listeners.

Also corner surrounds where wall meets ceiling and same with the floor and back wall.

I've owned CB radios for less money +30 years ago that had more channels even Cobra 148 GTL-DX that had modification done to that went beyond its standard 120 channels to 200 channels for £100.00. Dolby labs is taking the mickey with this.

I'd sooner wait a few years until I see one selling on ebay, for £130.00 £150.00, not paying £899.00. I'd sooner feed the cat and save up and watch all this unfold over the next 24 months.

I've been listening to films for a long time.

Myself (ex projectionist) and another projectionist, who I was chatting with at the MGM screen 1, Bournemouth, 1998, when they had installed Dolby DA20, and when standing at the back of the cinema left side rear or between the 6 sets of split-surrounds mounted to the wall, while watching THE PEACEMAKER (1997) opening titles with the train leaving the station, the camera moves upwards and the train exits off screen at 45 degree angle or underneath the screen and masking area but the sound to both us made no sense at all. We then both commented and agreed it should have "below surround" and that was thinking back in 1998.

I've had overhead height surrounds in my home cinema for over 10 years, big deal.

Also for a cinema to see height surrounds at one cinema, was it only in the USA, We Were Soldiers, big deal.

When working at UCI 25 years ago, all the 10 screens had the EV stage channels and surrounds was mounted to the suspended ceiling, and running cinema was only running 35mm Vic, V with Dolby CP55 and SRA5, and wow it sounded neat and guess that could be called "overhead matrix surround" all arranged in evenly and enveloping. I think the height was about 18 or so feet up.

I've seen another local cinema that had 6 flush mounted and spread around the downstairs Gaumont screen 2, also 4 more surrounds on the side wall and 2 on the back wall. That was great with STAR WARS in Dolby Stereo, December 1977. Now then.

My. personnel opinion I would wait and watch what models come out. Hey the Atmos bluray's ain't gonna grow a pair and legs and run off.

Just because Atmos doesn't have one bazillion speakers to start, doesn't mean it can't or won't be effective. More than one report from AVS Forum members and sound engineers that frequent the site about their trips to Dolby's headquarters in California and London have been mightily impressed with both overhead and Atmos-enabled speakers utilized in just the basic 7.1.4 configuration.

They compared the cinema Atmos mixes in an auditorium with the same material played back through consumer gear.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
DanH1972 said:
Just because Atmos doesn't have one bazillion speakers to start, doesn't mean it can't or won't be effective. More than one report from AVS Forum members and sound engineers that frequent the site about their trips to Dolby's headquarters in California and London have been mightily impressed with both overhead and Atmos-enabled speakers utilized in just the basic 7.1.4 configuration.

They compared the cinema Atmos mixes in an auditorium with the same material played back through consumer gear.
Very true. Andy I think you are also conflating Cinema and Home Cinema. The size of the room, level of acoustic absorption etc make commercial cinemas much harder to envelope the listener. At home and from early reports of folks who have heard Atmos in smaller rooms, it's way better at home than in the theater. Please wait until you hear it to pass judgment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks