1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Dolby: Atmos Blu-ray Discs Due This Year

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Jun 25, 2014.

Tags:
  1. DP 70

DP 70 Well-Known Member

Derek
    On AVS Forum there is a picture of a Dolby Atmos Reference Test Disc, I would love to know what clips are on it.

2. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Well-Known Member

Wayne
    Apparently launch titles will be announced sometime in the next two weeks.

3. Paul Rossen

Paul Rossen Well-Known Member

Needed a good laugh today. This thread is providing one. And it seems that the Dolby people are dead serious about Atmos in the Home Theatre. Good luck to them!

andySu likes this.
  4. DanH1972

DanH1972 Well-Known Member

Dan
    Why is that? Have you heard home Atmos for yourself at an electronics show and come away unimpressed?

Don't laugh until you've experienced it. Then make up your mind.

5. Dr Griffin

Dr Griffin Well-Known Member

Stanley
    In the future, when movies will envelope you in a 360 degree, around, over and under image and sound hologram, they will look back at our technology and laugh, and laugh...

6. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Premium
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I by no means am a Dolby person and many here will testify to this. If Dolby Digital was a tree I would have chopped it down I don't know how many times. :lol: But the idea of what they are doing with Dolby Atmos sounds like a great idea and I can say that I am entertaining the idea. But I will have to hear it first before diving in and since I am looking into replacing the current receiver to something with 4K video switching I would not be against looking for something with Dolby Atmos and or DTS equivilent since I will put upgrading at some point when money is available. Am very happy with Dolby True HD and I also support uncompressed PCM and DTS-HD Master Audio as well. I am sure a few here have gotten tired of me ripping into Dolby Digital so I am not a Dolby guy, rofl. But again I do like Dolby True HD so currently I do not worry about sound formats on bluray as long as they are lossless audio. Back in the day if it was DVD it might make or break the sale of the title but with Bluray as long as it is lossless and no negative reviews I will buy it. :cool: If it enhances the movie exsperience and it is worth the cost of upgrading I think we all should consider it to be honest. But if it doesn't then pass it up and wait to see what comes out next.

Tim Glover likes this.
  7. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I think we'll hear something this week!

8. Paul Rossen

I'm sure it sounds great. Speakers on the ceiling...Will it sell? What next will they think of? Smell-O-Vision in the home?

9. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I have doubts about its mass market penetration too, but your post borders on being a thread crap with that last question. As some around here appear to be very excited about this new audio format, I can understand others having some reservations, but I don't want to damper their excitement of those looking to invest in this format.

10. Paul Rossen

Don't mean to rain on anyone's parade. I'm all in favor of new technologies especially in the sound arena. I just hope that Atmos as well as its competitors don't fall off the map as so many other promising technologies have over the years. I look forward to any higher resolution system in Home Theatre design.

Perhaps as long as 20 - 30 years ago I viewed the film The Hindenburg at the D-150 Theatre in Syosset NY(long gone) and swear that the Theatre had speakers placed in the ceiling for this presentation. Thought it was pretty great that the sound came from above.

andySu likes this.
  11. andySu

andySu Well-Known Member

I see where Paul, is coming from and there is large amounts of money at stake on this?

Dolby-EX lasted a few years, Least my diy own EX had it since 1998, and didn't really cost me anything at all.

PLIIx new AVR cost me peanuts, with TrueHD and dtsHDMA. PLIIz sounds like PLIIx only Dolby have turned it around and claim it produces height and wide width. that I don't doubt, Expect it can't make the centre channel have any height or below sound. So anyone getting the hint on it? It only does 4 channels, same as PLIIx that does 4 directional channels and sub bass out if you know how to suss that bit out.

Also will he overhead common watered down 4 overhead be active for your money worth bluray Atmos? Or will they be only active at certain times? Same as Dolby 7.1 dts 7.1, where the rear back surround might only be active at certain times in the film mix.
    SUPER8 is boring Dolby 7.1, overrated and I do really in the videos Ben Burtt, claimed it the rear back surround produces an overhead sound on that train crash scene. And the rear surround on it is so boring. It comes ON and OFF and it sounds annoying.

Even some of the older Dolby 70mm mixes on DVD was like ON and OFF on the surrounds on some films. Over the years they become more active though the whole running time.

Some 7.1 mixes I have are active all the time on the rear back. Some. I can't be asked to play some now but SUPER8 sticks in my mind and I never watched the film all though I find myself skipping though it to the end credits and even found the end credits boring, then turned off and also the lens flare I wanted to kick the TV!

STAR TREK into darkness same mix issue rear back are ON and OFF never always active, they only cover (sound effects). I dread what the Atmos would be like? But need the 34 channel, but no height and below screen channel and no below surround channel with it. I'd spend cheaply on AVR on ebaY when someone likes, 3-d wants then next Supadupa model with 3dXYZ-PLUS. and couldn't care less about sound., sells his dogs bollocks model $999.99 on ebaY, for $150.00 that is the time to buy.

I'm gonna sit back and watch everyone else make the manufacturers rich for 2 years, unless they release them brand new for top line model for $100.00 and £100.00 pounds, I mean really 4 extra watered-down channels. CB radio has more channels for less money.

12. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Premium
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I personally do not see the new format getting widely accepted. Heck it is hard enough for many people to get there significant other to go with them having a 7.1 system. Can you see the average Joe being able to put up 2, 4 or 6 speakers on the ceiling in addition to the 3 on the front wall and the 4 surrounds wrapped around the back wall? Some wives do not say anything and they even enjoy the end results there husbands get out of the home theaters they put together. And there are some women who are into this as much as the guys are. But the fact remains that there are many women who go nuts over the thought of speakers being all over the room and it ends up being a soar point for the one that wants a ht. This is why you end up seeing many of them with Bose systems or surround bars and a small tv. I am all for new technology and getting better and better performance out of the HT. But trust me I used to do appliance install and so many people had ether cheap surround systems or more often than not they had no system and just a tv or an old stereo. While there are plenty of gear sold every year there are many others that are still using dvd with no HD or do not even own a surround set up. So I just do not see the walmart crowd rushing to adopt this or the significant other saying yes to more speakers in the living room or split use family room. Even if it Dolby Atmos in the home sounds great it will most likely end up as a nitch format. Let's hope I am wrong and that Dolby Atmos and DTS version of it does better than I think. And despite what propaganda the government tells us about the economy, the economy is still in the tank even though it has bearly improved. If people had money to spend like they used to then it might do better but many people do not have the disposable income they used to have. Many people are stuck in part time jobs with no benefits, others have gave up and stopped looking for work and the companies that hire are offering less money because they want to keep the money for themselves.

13. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Two pluses for me...Not married She has an upright bass and grand piano.

14. atfree

atfree Premium
    Supporter

Alex
    I think this will be a higher-end HT product. Maybe I'm wrong but the vast majority of the consuming public are probably like me.....no dedicated HT room, just an HD TV with modest HT set-up in my living room to enjoy movies and TV in the best way I can. I have neither the room or budget for a high-end set-up but enjoy what I have, 46" Panny Plasma with decent Panny HTIB, ...its certainly better than I ever imagined having and better than 90% of my friends/neighbors, most of whom have a larger HD TV but still listen through their TV's speakers.Not dissing any of this, as I'd love to spend $5k+ on a high end system w/ speakers in the ceiling but then one of my kids wouldn't get to go to college :)

15. DanH1972

Dan
    Well, that's why Dolby is promoting the option of Atmos type, all-in-one speaker models from a variety of manufacturers (many are debuting at CEDIA) for those with poor WAF or don't know how to install ceiling speakers. So far the indications are that it works quite well. The upward firing drivers are only part of the equation to help amplify the height effect with those reflective speakers. A little bit of added "post-processing magic" is added into the mix when you select Atmos enabled speakers as your primary source in the equipment setup menus. It's turned off if you have ceiling speakers.

As for whether or not the height speakers will be utilized... that's up to the individual sound engineers. Some utilize the heights to help pan objects around the room. Others only use them when something is going on above your head. In the new Transformers film, the mixers had sound effects fly up into the auditorium's ceiling during one of the big action sequences. In Dawn of the Planet of the Apes, the ape calls were pulled into all the surround speakers, and when something was happening above the characters' heads, the effects were placed in the top surrounds. Very effective.

More of the music in Atmos mixes is being pulled into the heights and surrounds for a more enveloping bubble of sound. One of the demo clips at these Dolby press events was from The Hobbit and Gollum reportedly sounded like he was circling you from all angles, not just from the speakers themselves.

I think they've added a bit of psychoacoustic panning trickery into their goodie bag beyond just traditional phase and amplitude panning to help create a more convincing 3D space.

Object surround mixing is going to have a learning curve... and at least the industry is embracing it more quickly than any other format in the past. Make one object based mix (whether it be Dolby Atmos or DTS MDA) and then down-convert it on the fly to any previous format... that makes it a godsend for post production houses.

Now, it's just a matter of the home video departments placing the object mix onto Blu-ray's as a standard feature.

16. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Premium
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    If I can upgrade later on I will definitely go the rout of dedicated speakers hanging from the ceiling.

17. DanH1972

Dan
    You can get Atmos-enabled speakers or add-on Atmos up-firing driver modules from various brands (as long as you don't have vaulted ceilings) and something like an Onkyo receiver that will do 5.1.4 Atmos decoding (starting around the $600 range). In the scheme of things, that won't even be close to breaking the $5,000 mark, even if you have to get an outboard amp for two of the Atmos channels.

It's not supposed to be just a rich man's format. Dolby was smart enough to see that they needed Atmos to downscale for mid-level products and also give it the ability to expand to 24.1.10 surround if you are rich. :D

18. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Premium
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I honestly don't like the practice to bouncing sound to create a sound field so I will be avoiding that. So right now I have 7.1 so how are the Atmos channels factored in? Is this the .? after the subwoofer that DanH lists in his posts above? Or for example would 24.1.10 be 24 channels in front with a subwoofer and 10 surround and rear hight? If I wanted to run a 7.2 system with two front height channels and 4 center over head would that be 9.2.4 or 7.2.6?

19. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    Native channels/sub/object

20. Tim Glover

Tim Glover Well-Known Member

Tim Glover
    My current HT doesn't really allow for 7.1 due to the sofa on the back wall. :( But I have heard 7.1 in the home and its pretty dang awesome. I'm still trying to figure out how to implement that in my room. Atmos is cool and extremely immersive but like some have stated; it could be for the High End-Large room market. Plus, even though I have an expensive front projector setup and pretty nice audio gear, there is still something about going to the theater. I kind of wish Atmos and stuff similar was commercial theater exclusive. I really do.

As much as I love my HT, nothing beats a crowded theater with fantastic audio & big screen. Makes going to the movies FUN.