What's new

Doing my HW on Subwoofers...help? (1 Viewer)

Dave Nelms

Stunt Coordinator
Johnal-

Glad to hear you are doing your homework. Sorry to hear that the VTF-3 was not connected and running. When I stopped by a few weeks ago, they had several subs set up. However due to a scheduling conflict I was only able to hear the VTF-3.;)

I am sure you can find several folks who could give you an in home demo of all the subs you are looking for.

I know that when you started this thread you mentioned size of the subs. The HSU subs and much smaller than the SVS boxes. However the fit and finish on the SVS subs that I had a chance to audition were second to none. Clearly furniture grade, like an Ethan Allen coffee table. In other words, big powerful beasts. (Which I admit is pretty cool).

Anyway- happy hunting.

Dave

Johnal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnal
Cam,
When I went in to check out the Hsu subs it was a very interesting experience. I walked into what appeared to be a very small office from the outside and no one was in the main entry way, nor in the office just to the right. I called out "hello!" and heard no response. I was about to head back out when I saw a photocopy of a VTF-2 brochure lying on the floor. Right as I turned around after picking up the peice of paper a small asian woman magicaly appeared behind me and welcomed me. She then asked me to wait as she dissapeared down one hallway and just like magic again, a gentleman spawned behind me.

He brought me into this somewhat dark room with a leather loveseat facing a television. I sat down and the gentleman asked me if I'd like to listen to some music. I said sure and he put in a disk that was playing some classical music with organs. (Unfortunately, a few weeks prior I had my CD's stolen) Initially the STF-3 was hooked up and omg... big big clean sound. A little while into the music playing he asked which subs I was interested in. I told him I was interested in the VTF-2 for price reasons and so we switched back and forth between the STF-2 and VTF-2.

He then proceeded to play a DVD Demo disk of scenes from movies that are well known to "show off" the capabilities of the subwoofer. They had one of the subs directly behind the couch, and the other just to the left of the couch. Granted, placement can make all the difference with these subs...but I was sold on the VTF-2. They were both incredibly clean and powerful and just mmm mmm good at what they do. But just like what others say about those TV-12 drivers vs the db-12... although they were both excellent...there was something that is hard to describe that separates the two.

After the DVD demo was over he stood up from the chair he was sitting on and so I stood up as well and he asked me how I liked them and I told him the truth... they were nothing less than amazing! The audition felt really short, but due to work, I was only able to make it their maybe an hour or so before they closed.

Just for the record, I haven't let go of the idea of going with Hsu yet. On the contrary, I beleive the VTF-3 would be an amazing sub if it's anything like the STF-3 and would meet/exceed my HT/music needs. But like I said in my first post...I'm trying to avoid making this thread into a comparitive thread between any companies. I'm trying to do my HW on SVS subs and everyone here has been very helpful. I also stated that I have this horrible problem where I feel the need to upgrade before I even have anything to upgrade! :b

-Johnal

Dave Nelms

Stunt Coordinator
Johnal-

Which ever sub you get,do not skinp on something you want to save a couple of extra bucks. My last, and current sub is a HSU that I bought over 7 years ago and it is still pumpin'. I just wish that when I bought it initially I would have spent the two hundred more bucks and bought the biggest and best they had. Now that I also am looking to up grade, I am looking at the moster SVS and top of the line HSUs when I make my purchase.

But as I was told in a thead I started last month-

Remember they are only subwoofers......

Johnal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnal
Jimmy,
No, I haven't contacted SVS yet, but on the other hand I'm not sure EXACTLY how big the room will be when my living situation changes, so due to my lack of information, they may not be able to help me in the decision of what size sub to get. That's why I am investigating the subs mentioned... they seem to have everything (and much more) that I would be looking for and needing in a subwoofer for HT/music needs.

THAT is what I'm looking for. :emoji_thumbsup:

Oh, and I'm sure you're right that if/when I go with any of the subs I've mentioned...I'm sure I won't be let down with the sound...From all the satisfied customers around here I'm sure it will be great!

-Johnal

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim

Even so, I would still recommend you contact SVS as they will still probably be able to give you some very useful information.

When I was researching a sub purchase, I had exchanged many e-mails with Tom V. at SVS. In one of the early e-mails, I expressed a concern about purchasing a sub without an audition first. Not only did he assure me with their 45 day return policy, but he also said if I'm still uncomfortable purchasing this way, he would help me pick out a good sub that I could purchase locally, or help me if I wanted to build my own. Try getting that kind of service anywhere else!

Sorry if I sound like an SVS cheerleader, but I can't say enough about the quality of product and service that SVS offers. And this is from a person who is very skeptical/suspicious about many company's claims, not to mention being a tightwad who likes to get the best value for my hard earned dollars.

Let us know what you decide.:)

JimmyK

Johnal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Johnal
Scott,

So in exchange for losing some SPL i can get a harder sounding, and deeper sounding bass with the PCU....if this is true, (not that i'm doubting you) then I may have just made up my mind! :emoji_thumbsup: :)

-Johnal

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
All this talk about the ULTRA lately has me in the mood to upgrade from three 25-31CS+'s to three ULTRA's:frowning: It will be very nice if SVS adopts the trade in/up program? I would think three 25-31CS+'s would give me the performance in the lower htz material that the 2-ULTRA would but still it would not be like having three ULTRA's. Or one more CS+ powered accordingly would bring it in a few db's over the B4+ and for much less than selling it all and trading up. What to do?

ScottCarr will you tell my wife what I am contemplating? :)

Be careful Johnal. You can loose yourself in all this after experiencing it. Get the best you can the first time around and you will save $$ in the future and you won't have to go through the thought process I just shared.:emoji_thumbsup:

ScottCarr

Second Unit
Steve

I think if you sold the three and went with 2 PCU you wouldn't be missing anything.

If you are the original owner of at least one of them they might work with you a litte.

Johnal
Steve is absolutely correct. If you are even considering the Ultra wait the month or two to save the extra money and go for the Ultra.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
>>>Steve

I think if you sold the three and went with 2 PCU you wouldn't be missing anything.

Joey_V

Second Unit
stop this ultra talk u guys.... i just got my + and now im thinking if i shouldve gone ultra.

stop!! stop it joey.... ur a college student with no extra cash!!! :angry:

ScottCarr

Second Unit
Steve,

What I meant was though you might physically loose a sub I do not think you would loose that muchin overall SPL. What you would definitiely gain is the ULTRA. The sound and its deliverance of the sound is simply awesome.

IMO if you are into music the ULTRA will definitiely warm your heart. The + series purrs like a kitten adn the ULTRA roars like a lion.

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
IMO if you are into music the ULTRA will definitely warm your heart. The + series purrs like a kitten adn the ULTRA roars like a lion.

I think when I add the fourth cylinder to my system I will give the Ultra a demo and proceed from there Scott. If I've said it once I have said it a hundred times (It's one thing to know and another thing to really know) I remember buying the DLS sub once on a lark just to be sure about the advice I was giving out. I most assuredly know the ULTRA driver will deliver more performance than the db driver but realistically in my mind I have always been under the impression that four db drivers would deliver the performance of three ULTRA drivers in the same tune basically?

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
the + purrs like a kitten.... great! thanks for ruining my day scott!

Didn't you know Joey that to be a true Basshead you need to be running dual +'s/ULTRA's or better?:laugh: I can definitely see you adding or upgrading in the future. Headroom is a very good thing.

ScottCarr

Second Unit
It may be hard to justify the extra for the Ultra. But after the the first listen and the perking of the ears asking where was that before the jsutification is a done deal.

Now some might be reading this saying great the PC+ is crap and blah blah blah blah. NO NO NO NO NO NO!!!!!

Lets compare the SvS to wood.

PCI would be OAK
+ would be Birds eye Maple
Ultra would be red wood
SS different class all together

Notice there is no mention of pine

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
Just catching up on this thread....

As an owner of a 20-39PC+, a PB2+, and a PB2-Ultra, I can tell you with confidence the TV-12 driver is without peer in the SVS line-up.

It cost almost $600 (compared to $300 for the dB-12 Plus driver), but it's worth every penny. On paper it might only be good for a 1.5 dB advantage in headroom over the dB-12, but in terms of sound quality and delivery, the TV-12 stands alone.

I'll agree with Scott - it was immediately evident there were different drivers in the PB2-Ultra when I fired it up. It continues to impress with its authoritative and linear style of delivery.

Is the dB-12 driver still awesome? Yes. Is the Plus line of SV subs an incredible performance value? Again, an unequivocable yes.

The Ultra represents a case of diminishing returns where you pay a LOT more for an incremental performance gain over the Plus line. Is the Ultra worth it? Only each customer can decide for himself. We are all at different points on the curve in terms of system refinement and disposable income.

The demographic looking to buy the PB2-Ultra will be as much interested in the furniture grade wood finish, the upgraded amp with PEQ, and the exclusivity and high technology of the TV-12 driver as in the fractionally better performance over the PB2+.

If you don't need the 140 dB capability of the B4-Plus, but want to know you have the very best SVS offers in terms of technology, craftsmanship, and sound quality, the PB2-Ultra is just the ticket.

The PB2-Ultra is the box equivalent of the SS cylinder, right at home in the most contemporary and upscale music and HT systems. I love mine - it is by far the most satisfying HT/music product I own on many different levels.

Ed

Joey_V

Second Unit
sniff... ed.. that was so nice.... now i want a pb2ultra. :frowning:

this forum makes me happy and sad... i cant decide.

for real now, i would like to hear an ultra - so much talk about how it sounds different has me on my ear! im going to email tom and ron - see what they think.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks