What's new

Doing anything new the might get you blocked? (1 Viewer)

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
My company has started blocking you for possible nefarious doings (my take, I forget what they said). Are you doing anything new or differently?

Bummer too, as not having access at work is going to put a serious crimp in my HTF participation.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Mine too. I only access it on my work ipad while on lunch, but for the last week its been on our unapproved site list and thusly blocked.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Same here. Apparently our companies subscribe to the same internet filtering software/list and HTF was added recently. I think the page that popped up just said "Entertainment" for the reason. Which is odd because many other similar "entertainment" sites are not blocked. Oh well, guess my smartphone will have to do if I want to peruse HTF.

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
We'll see if we can get re-classified. Do you guys use Websense or another specific content blocker? That helps me know who to contact.

Neil Middlemiss

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Middlemiss
We use Websense where I work and I can't access HTF from work either!

Mark Booth

Senior HTF Member
The most likely reason HTF got added to employer's block lists is due to 1x1 pop open ads that we've been seeing for a few weeks. Ron had me contact the techs and I heard back from Kevin. Kevin reports that the ads shouldn't happen anymore. And, so far, I haven't seen any today. So, it appears to be fixed.

Sadly, probably too late for those employers that put the site on their block lists. I'm not sure how quickly situations like that get reevaluated.

Edit: Oops... I spoke too soon! No sooner had I posted this message and I got another 1x1 pop open ad! Unbelievable!

I guess I'm going to have to install an ad blocker. Not something I wanted to do, but these ads are REALLY annoying!

Mark

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Reviewer
Real Name
Dave Upton
Neil Middlemiss said:
We use Websense where I work and I can't access HTF from work either!

We are categorized as a forum/message board on WebSense, which is accurate. This probably means that the IT department is blocking that category of site due to productivity loss.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Dave Upton said:
We are categorized as a forum/message board on WebSense, which is accurate. This probably means that the IT department is blocking that category of site due to productivity loss.
Nuh, uh...

Only supposed to be working...at work?

That's just crazy talk...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks