What's new

Does your BD player experience layer change pause? (1 Viewer)

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I'm trying to figure out if that's what I'm seeing w/ my month-old Panny BD60.

I never had a layer change pause w/ my 2-yo PS3 (before it stopped reading discs) nor noticed any for DVDs on my old Denon 2910, but I'm seeing what looks like a 1-to-2-sec layer change pause on quite a few BDs *and* DVDs w/ my Panny BD60.

I don't recall seeing anyone mention layer change pauses (for BD players) on HTF in the last 2 years, so I'm wondering if it's just me (and a substandard BD60 and/or some substandard BDs) or if people have merely accepted it all along -- well, those not using the PS3 (or probably the Oppo BD83) anyway.

I did a quick google and did find a little bit of mention elsewhere about layer change pauses on Panny players (and probably most others), including over in AVS. But there's not a whole lot said about it to confirm for me that's really the case. So figured I should ask here and see...

Thanks in advance...

_Man_

mylan

Screenwriter
I have never noticed layer changes on either DVD or BD on my 1yr. old Sony S350 but I sometimes did on regular DVD on my Denon 2910 and I had quite frankly forgotten about them until you mentioned them. Either that or they are so slight now that I don't notice.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Hmmm... I wonder if my player just needs a firmware update.

_Man_

PS: I'm testing out another browser (Bolt) on my Blackberry for this, so sorry if something looks odd w/ this post.

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
Wow, it's been years since I've seen a layer change interruption. I haven't thought about it for so long I find it oddly nostalgic.

Maybe you should list the titles you're having problems with, and where/when the problem occurs.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I've never experienced any layer change delays when playing a BD on my Sony S350. I cannot speak regarding SD-DVD playback, since I use a separate Oppo 980H for those discs.

EricW

Senior HTF Member
maybe you could post the specific times during playback that the pauses happened.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
[SIZE= larger]This is a known problem with the Panasonic BD-60/80 series players.[/SIZE]

The latest firmware update, Ver 2.2. totally fixes this issue.

Here's the link to download it and burn it to a CD-R:

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/bd/download/bd60/index2_na.html

NOTE: If you're running Windows Vista or Windows 7, you will need to burn the firmware update with the free CDburnerXP utility; otherwise the player won't be able to complete the firmware update. Also, BE SURE to use a CD-R disc. It won't accept a DVD-R (or any other flavor of recordable DVD media.)

Good Luck! I had this same issue with my new BD-601 player which I purchased over the holidays, and this firmware update not only fixed this issue but also greatly increased Blu-ray loading times!

JeremyR

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeremy
My DMP-BD60 has done it in teh past, but I haven't updated to 2.2 I don't believe. I'll let you know what I find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks