What's new

Does the Vertigo DVD represent the restoration accurately? (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart

The film materials damaged/lost in last weeks fire were 35mm prints meant for theatrical distribution. Besides some original dye-transfer prints probably among them, it's not an irreplacable loss. On the other hand, the Universal Music materials supposedly had a lot of losses.

Early reports were getting a lot of ridiculous bad information out before actually verifying anything.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
What about the original soundtrack, Robert? Could it be restored to 1958 condition today? The anamorphic DVD hasd the mono track, which was from an optical print, is that correct? I listen to the mono when I watch the DVD, but it is pretty ropey in places, which is understandable, but its deficiencies are less bothersome that the foley tinkering that goes on in the 5.1 remix

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The track cannot be adequately restored.

The original elements were destroyed well before Universal became involved with the films.

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
Wow! The HD presentations look amazing. Any chance of seeing the introductory close up of Grace Kelly in Rear Window?

Sergio A

Stunt Coordinator

Those screen grabs really look exquisite - one can only hope that these can and will be replicated on disc soon...

In the mean time, please, please more captures!

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
Those are breathtaking. Thanks!

Why the hell hasn't Universal announced a Blu-ray release? This is the 50th anniversary!!!!

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
First: please pardon my lack of knowledge. I've been spending all of my time in the HD forum for the past couple of years. After a quick search here, and a couple of online retailers, I'm slightly confused about editions of 'Vertigo'.

Mine has a copyright date of 1998, and has an orange cover; it has the 'Obsessed with Vertigo' documentary, and also the commentary track featuring RAH. I didn't find this edition available at online retailers.

However, I see that a new 2-disc SE will be released on 10/7/08, but there are few details about the set. Anybody know what the basic differences are, so far as the transfer, or details about extras?

I'm probably better off aiming at this disc, than holding off for a Blu-ray.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
The version with the orange cover is basically this edition with a different cover.
Amazon.com: Vertigo (Collector's Edition): James Stewart, Kim Novak, Barbara Bel Geddes, Tom Helmore, Henry Jones, Raymond Bailey, Ellen Corby, Konstantin Shayne, Lee Patrick, Alfred Hitchcock: Movies & TV

It was re-released with the new cover to better match Universal's other Hitchcock releases. It's nonanamorphic.

The new 2-disc "Legacy Edition" will sport a new anamorphic transfer and some new extras as well as the old ones. It hasn't been released yet so details are a bit scant.

BillyFeldman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Billy Feldman

Because it is confusing, let's be clear that there has already been an anamorphic transfer of Vertigo in the big Hitchcock box.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
And that the upcoming release more than likely features that same transfer.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks