What's new

Does my DVD Player Need to be Cleaned? (1 Viewer)

Doug MacGregor

Stunt Coordinator
I have recently noticed that some of the DVD's I rented are not playing properly on my JVC DVD Player (XV-S500).
It is about 20 months old.
The strange thing is that those same DVD's play perfectly in my PC-based LG DVD player (it is only 6 months old).
Does this indicate a dirty DVD player or does the LG DVD drive just do a better job of reading those slightly scratched DVD's?
In all cases the DVD's were not recently released movies but slightly older ones (released 2 or 3 years ago).
Thanks.

Doug MacGregor

Stunt Coordinator
I have recently noticed that some of the DVD's I rented are not playing properly on my JVC DVD Player (XV-S500).
It is about 20 months old.
The strange thing is that those same DVD's play perfectly in my PC-based LG DVD player (it is only 6 months old).
Does this indicate a dirty DVD player or does the LG DVD drive just do a better job of reading those slightly scratched DVD's?
In all cases the DVD's were not recently released movies but slightly older ones (released 2 or 3 years ago).
Thanks.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
It's necessary to clean them occaisionally. That may be the problem, but since they're rental discs, I'd say it's more likely that the discs need cleaning (fingerprints, etc.) Newer players do a better job of reading scratched discs too. Some better than others...........

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
It's necessary to clean them occaisionally. That may be the problem, but since they're rental discs, I'd say it's more likely that the discs need cleaning (fingerprints, etc.) Newer players do a better job of reading scratched discs too. Some better than others...........

John Gido

Second Unit
OK, if this hasn't been covered somewhere else, what is the proper way to clean a DVD player? Do you use the same type of media (CD w/brush on the playing surface) as a standard CD player?

John Gido

Second Unit
OK, if this hasn't been covered somewhere else, what is the proper way to clean a DVD player? Do you use the same type of media (CD w/brush on the playing surface) as a standard CD player?

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
Yes, unless you are a pro, and can open it and use a solution to clean with.
The brush just knocks off any dust that may be lingering on the laser's lens. Believe it or not, it CAN make a big difference, if your lens is dirty.

Doug MacGregor

Stunt Coordinator
Before I buy one there are a variety of choices.
I checked out RS and they have a number of cleaning discs from Maxell and Premiere and NexxTech.
Futureshop has one from Allsop.
Are they all good or is one better than the other?
And can any of them damage my DVD player?
Thanks.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
They have some that are just for cds and some for dvds and some for both. I got a Maxell that is good for them all.....dvd, cd, cd rom, dvd rom, car cd player, etc........

I haven't heard of one damaging the player before.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
We typically use compressed air and just blow it out. May not work the best, but it does, generally, work. (However, these are typically the Pioneer DVD-V7400 industrial players.)

Leo Kerr

StephenHa

Second Unit
I asked my service tech about those cleaner brushes and he cringed, what they do is knock all the debris from the lens down onto the plastic and nylon gears, he said use compressed air if your affraid to remove the top after using the disc. the best method is a cotton swab with alcohol but the top has to come off for that

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
How much debris can there be? Enough to jam gears?
As long as we're talking possibilities here, couldn't it be dangerous blowing all that debris around in there, and it settling on something that gets hot, and starting a fire?
Also, what bothers me about compressed air, is the moisture that is associated with it. Moisture.....not good. :)

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
How much debris can there be? Enough to jam gears?
As long as we're talking possibilities here, couldn't it be dangerous blowing all that debris around in there, and it settling on something that gets hot, and starting a fire?
Also, what bothers me about compressed air, is the moisture that is associated with it. Moisture.....not good. :)

StephenHa

Second Unit
what happens is it builds up, plus you'll get pieces of the brushes, when you blow it out it get's away from moving parts, you shouldn't get that much moisture when blowing out something, a couple drops won't hurt especially since when you do it the machine should be unplugged

StephenHa

Second Unit
what happens is it builds up, plus you'll get pieces of the brushes, when you blow it out it get's away from moving parts, you shouldn't get that much moisture when blowing out something, a couple drops won't hurt especially since when you do it the machine should be unplugged

Doug MacGregor

Stunt Coordinator
The plot thickens...
I purchased a Maxell Thunderon DVD Lens cleaner disc.
I put it into my JCV DVD Player.
The front display indicated "READING" for about 10 seconds.
Nothing came up on the TV screen and then the disc popped out.
So I put it into my PC DVD player and it ran no problem, showing all the menus including the cleaning option.
My JVC DVD player is working OK because I watched a brand new 2001 Space Odyssey DVD immediately after.
What gives?

Doug MacGregor

Stunt Coordinator
The plot thickens...
I purchased a Maxell Thunderon DVD Lens cleaner disc.
I put it into my JCV DVD Player.
The front display indicated "READING" for about 10 seconds.
Nothing came up on the TV screen and then the disc popped out.
So I put it into my PC DVD player and it ran no problem, showing all the menus including the cleaning option.
My JVC DVD player is working OK because I watched a brand new 2001 Space Odyssey DVD immediately after.
What gives?

Doug MacGregor

Stunt Coordinator
OK.
I just got my answer from Maxell Support.
Apparently it IS working but they said the BIOS in the JVC player is either too old or just doesn't support the on-screen display, whereas the one in the LG PC DVD Player does.
Based on the amount of time the player spends reading the disc (about 15 seconds), they said that it was cleaning the player.
Now I'll have to do some tests with the faulty discs.
Thanks all.

Doug MacGregor

Stunt Coordinator
OK.
I just got my answer from Maxell Support.
Apparently it IS working but they said the BIOS in the JVC player is either too old or just doesn't support the on-screen display, whereas the one in the LG PC DVD Player does.
Based on the amount of time the player spends reading the disc (about 15 seconds), they said that it was cleaning the player.
Now I'll have to do some tests with the faulty discs.
Thanks all.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks