What's new

Does everyone know what WD-40 stands for? (1 Viewer)

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
In 1955 NASA was having condensation problems with their Atlas rockets, a nameless company started batch after batch but stopped after the 40th batch. Water Drier 40th batch is what WD-40 stands for, great on your cars ignition wires and electronics, Roller Skate precision bearings, and pieces to stop the squeaking. They thought why try when the 40th batch did the trick, they are now a named company aptly named WD-40 Inc.

Did you know that if not you 'do' now!:)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
WD-40 is indispensable once you've tried it.

I'm in the auto repair business and can't imagine doing my job without the stuff. It's a great lubricant/cleaner--frees up balky door lock cylinders, easily id's squeaky drive belts, spray some on a rag and it will clean smudges off plastic surfaces and dry without leaving a shiny coating like the so-called protectants. All kinds of sticky body mechanisms like window regulators, HVAC control linkages and cables, cupholders gummed up with soda, shifters jammed likewise with dried soda, all work like new after a few shots of WD.

If you have to deal with a lot of car interior issues the 2 basic necessities are WD-40 and superglue.

Cary_H

Second Unit
It's good if you want just one product to meet your all-purpose needs. It does a lot of things, but not many of 'em all that well.
It's difficult to apply without leaving a mess. Graphite powder is superior on locks. There are better things out there for use as penetrating fluids, paint removers, and lubes. It's a pretty fair hand-cleaner, but I wouldn't think it's all that good for you. It is unsafe for O-ring chains, isn't heavy enough for the task, and is easily washed/flung off.
It is called water displacement for a reason. It is great on auto electric connections. Repels water intrusion and inhibits corrosion.
When you have access to the right tools for the job, WD-40 rarely sees the light of day.

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
Whatever you want to call it Displacement or Drier, it's a 'boon' to use and feel you've accomplished something using the right product for the right job.:)

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Anyone here use WD-40 on their knees? I interviewed a former Packer, present Eagle, Nate Wayne who swears by it. I've found 2 other people since who put WD-40 on their knees and say it's a godsend.

Anyone?

John*C

Stunt Coordinator
Too bad I can't use on my non unions(plural) and joints in my crushed ankle that's crippling me, I really would like to go back to work. Meet that special someone with 10 good fingers and toes that I don't have much of at this time.
I do use it on all things moving except plastic.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I think there's a sorta urban legend that WD-40 can soak thru skin and help ease joint pain. I know that at 54 I have no joint pain whatever in my hands but plenty elsewhere from time to time and get my hands covered with WD on a frequent basis so there may be some truth to the legend.

I've also found superglue to be very effective for sealing up the kinds of cuts one gets from razor sharp metal dashboard re-inforcements. Spray carburetor cleaner on the cut first to disinfect then run a bead of superglue down the cut. Stings like hell but very quick and effective.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
another wives tale is that it works well on fishing lures.
dunno if it helped, sure didn't hurt

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks