What's new

Does anyone own a Sampo 611 DVD player? (1 Viewer)

John P Grosskopf

Second Unit
I recently bought a DAEWOO DVG5000N DVD player for $100 so the I could play multi-region discs.

I'm happy with its reliability in playing discs of all regions, but am not at all happy with the picture quality.

I notice a lot of mosquito noise and artifacting with this player than with a KLH-221 (which has a remarkably good picture BTW for being a chepo player).

I'm thinking of taking back the DAEWOO and ordering a SAMPO 611 from online, however I do not know anyone who actually has one.

If anyone out there does own one, what can you tell me about its picture quality, reliability, etc?

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I recently bought a Sampo 611. The picture quality is pretty good. I have had some minor problems with a couple of movies, though.

When watching Ghostbusters, the player froze during the "EPA Man" scene (where Walter Peck introduces himself to Venkman). This happened to me twice. But I watched it again another time and it played just fine.

It also messed up while playing Total Recall . When it showed the logo of the company that made the DVD, the video was "skipping" (like when you watch video over a slow internet connection). After that, the movie played correctly. I played the disc another time and everything worked properly.

I've heard good things about Malata multiregion players. (I only heard about the Malata after buying the Sampo.) There was one with all of the features of the Sampo 611 and it also has progressive scan. I think the price was about the same, too. But you should talk to some people who actually own a Malata. (I think there is a review in this forum.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation199
Recent bookmarks