What's new

Does anyone offer just internet? (1 Viewer)

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Dennis Nicholls said:
I found this helpful site that searches for available ISP options for your zip code.

http://broadbandnow.com/
Thjat's an interesting idea but the one that comes up for comcast is no where to be found on their site or anywhere else for that matter.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Also I've received an email from them twice in June with this offer...

You'll notice the expiration date on this email from June.

69999999.jpg

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Dennis Nicholls said:
I found this helpful site that searches for available ISP options for your zip code.

http://broadbandnow.com/
That website is about as helpful as a greased watermelon in a pond...

I went looking, again, for a home based internet for the 2nd house. Zipcode means squat for me(on a county line shared with 3 zip codes).

All the options...none actually exist...at my address. Even though 4 of the 6 had yard signs in the neighborhood.

Funniest one was NITCO. Look at their map. My neighbors on both sides get it...but I don't. They actually came out and were like..."well, this is weird...".

It was for "cell-based" home internet(like Surfairwireless, also...not at my address) priced $80 for 250g at 12mbps.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Somehow my Comcast cable/internet monthly bill has reached $160+ (with no special channels in the mix), something has to give!!!

At this point, just internet might be the way to go.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Patrick Sun said:
Somehow my Comcast cable/internet monthly bill has reached $160+ (with no special channels in the mix), something has to give!!!

At this point, just internet might be the way to go.

D'ya suppose that cable prices are going up because more and more people are going internet-only (and they're trying to make up for lost revenue)?

The big companies (T-W, Comcast, etc.) maybe are pricing themselves right out of business--especially considering the proliferation of alternatives.

I'm sure I'm not breaking any new ground with that thought...

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Comcast has only done one good thing for me. They dropped by my house and tried to get me to switch from Dish (TV) and CenturyLink (internet & phone). I was actually considering it, so called Dish and CenturyLink.

Dish dropped $10 a month off my bill. CenturyLink went from $80 to $40 a month. The more competition there is, the lower the bill for consumers. Thanks to Comcast, I'm saving $50 a month.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Got a letter from them today telling me that My Internet Bam! or whatever they call it is no longer 50 kbps but now it's 75.

WOOOO!!!.

Still 92 bucks.

Calling tomorrow to see If i can get anyone to speak with me for longer then 3 minutes.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Time-Warner has set up local stores throughout my area.

I go there and chat up one of their customer service reps and ask if there's any way they can lower my bill. They seek out all their promotions, etc. on their computers and I almost always walk out with a lower bill (and retaining all my services). Of course, I need to do this every year as the promotions expire then. But I get a notice in my bill telling me it will soon be going up to $xx.xx, so it's easy to know that it's time to go.

I really recommend this to any T-W customer.

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
TonyD said:
Got a letter from them today telling me that My Internet Bam! or whatever they call it is no longer 50 kbps but now it's 75.

WOOOO!!!.

Still 92 bucks.

Calling tomorrow to see If i can get anyone to speak with me for longer then 3 minutes.
kbps? :unsure:

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
TonyD said:
Gbs, banknotes, nanobytes, whatever the internet speed is measured with.
Hi TonyD!

Mbps is the standard these days, with the exception of any few isp's that still offer the Dial-up option, in which case, kbps would be an apropos measure of download speed, or rather lack of!

CHEERS! :)

Tony

Stan

Senior HTF Member
TonyD said:

WOOOO!!!.

Still 92 bucks.

Just mention you've got a better offer from another company. Almost guaranteed they'll drop the price.

I think everybody's fighting for their piece of the pie and for once, consumers seem to be the winners.

As I stated above, my Dish/CenturyLink bill dropped $50 a month just because I was considering going with a new provider.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
Time-Warner has set up local stores throughout my area.

I go there and chat up one of their customer service reps and ask if there's any way they can lower my bill. They seek out all their promotions, etc. on their computers and I almost always walk out with a lower bill (and retaining all my services). Of course, I need to do this every year as the promotions expire then. But I get a notice in my bill telling me it will soon be going up to $xx.xx, so it's easy to know that it's time to go.

I really recommend this to any T-W customer.

I did this a few months ago when my last credits expired (again) plus I had the land-line carrot to dangle.

I went from Cable/Internet of $100 to 140 when the credit expired ( + $50 to ATT) so I dropped ATT for TWC VOIP/cable/internet bumped to 30 and $105 total. Not quite 50% of my monthly charge at least for a year.

The last 2-3 years I just kept calling when everything expired and negotiated them back down to close to their "New Customer" price -- usually I get them back down to within $10 of their New Offer.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
D'ya suppose that cable prices are going up because more and more people are going internet-only (and they're trying to make up for lost revenue)?

The big companies (T-W, Comcast, etc.) maybe are pricing themselves right out of business--especially considering the proliferation of alternatives.

I'm sure I'm not breaking any new ground with that thought...

This is a number I'd really like to see someone prove to me.

I keep hearing about a mass exodus cord cutting, but everytime I've seen numbers they don't seem to be dropping much if at all if you add up DirecTV/Dish/Cable. It almost like people think it cool to have other people think their cordless, but "I'm thinking about cutting /I'm gonna cut the cord" seems to be equivalent to "already cut the cord" when taking a survey.

Maybe all the jobless college kids graduating college and moving back home are technically cutters (in their mind), but Mom/Dad still have the cord so might as well watch their cord.

I really don't know, but from all the people who seem to claim to be off the grid, it seems like TWC would be down 30-40+% subscribers instead of 1%

The latest in a similar series of articles including one that show the number of PayTV is greater than 2008 rather than lower once you add Uverse and Fios back to the pile.

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2015/05/04/cord-cutting-truths/%C2 -- the problem is can you trust the numbers

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I wasn't really talking about just cord-cutters, David.

But, instead, just a huge number of options which weren't necessarily available a few years ago.

For example, here in my area, Time-Warner for the last several years was the only game in town (outside of OTA). But now Verizon FIOS has moved into a number of communities...and, of course, Dish Network (which I actually switched to for two years) and DirectTV are around.

And then there's the millenials. My son has T-W because he is BIG into sports. But my daughter would never pay such an exorbitant monthly fee for cable. She's got Hulu, Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc and streams all of her TV whenever it becomes available to her (often, just over the internet on her laptop).

So, with all of these alternatives cutting into their territory, I would think cable companies would be lowering their prices as an attempt to remain competitive. But, instead, the prices seem to be constantly on the rise. But, not--at least--for those of us who know better and approach our TV providers to keep things reasonable.

But if customers just think "the price is the price" and there's no negotiating, they might just walk and the cable/dish companies are S-O-L.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
The adventure continues.

Since I have no luck calling in we went to the one and only Comcast location in Orlando.

I got another one of those emails with an offer and a proper expiration date.

When I got to the counter the woman looked up my account.
i showed her the email and she essentially snorted at it.

I told her I wanted to lower my bill and asked how we could do that.
She asked me if I called, I told her that I have been hung up on each time I called so that's why I'm here.

"OH" well there reallly isn't anything I can do, she told me.

There are no deals to be had until one is 6 months out of the previous deal and at this time I was only 2 months past my deal.

That was confusing because I have been paying a higher rate for well more than 2 months.

What I hadn't realized is that we must have been on 2 pricing tier deals.

One was 6 months at $40(total $62), then another at 4 months for $60(T $91).

The last 2 months have been $70(T $101)

I'm not sure what offers are like that and end after 10 months.

The woman told us to call and ask for retention and that was it, out the door.

So now we are at $101 for 75 bps and a tv service we don't want.

Oh I did ask to remove services to a lower mbps and she said do you have your modem?
No I have to bring in my modem to lower the service tier? Yep.

So we couldn't even simply get rid of blast and lower the bits to 25 from 75 and all that would have done is save us $10 a month.

How this business model continues boggles my brain.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks