What's new

Does anyone make flat RG6? (1 Viewer)

Stephen P

Auditioning
...RCA has a short-run, flat co-ax which it says is "perfect" for connecting inside and outside cables for satellites. BUT, it doesn't mention if its RG6 or not. A google search turned up some combination wire (coax, phone, networking,etc.), but I think that's a little much for me.
Anyone have any ideas?

R Benson

Auditioning
The Short run flat wire is intended to run under your window sill so you don't have to drill any holes. To my knowledge, noone makes a flat RG6 cable for long runs.
------------------

Stephen P

Auditioning
But doesn't that create a sort of bottleneck that would negate the benefit of the RG6?
Also, I seem to remember hearing something a few years back about a device that you attached to each side of the glass and passed the signal through. Is that still around, or was it a bad application that has since died?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm using the flat coax from RCA to connect my Dish500 to my Dishplayer and HD6000. It runs underneath the door going to the apartment patio. I have no loss of signal quality.
-Robert

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Does anybody have a website link to where I can purchase the flat rg6 couplers?

David_Rivshin

Second Unit
Disclaimer: I'm no EE, so don't take my word as gospel, but here you go anyways...
RG6 is a specification for coaxial cable, specified in part by the diameter of the center conductor, and the distance between the center conductor and the outer shield. RG6 is by definition not flat, so it's impossible to find "flat RG6."
If you want to get the performance of RG6 cable in a flat package, then what you'd probably be interested in is something with an 18 gauge center conductor, surrounded by lots of shielding. Flat shielding will not work nearly as well as round (the primary reason that coax cable is used so often in the first place), but for very short distances it probably won't be too bad.
For any kind of digital signal (satellite, ATSC, digital audio), or signals that aren't too sensitive by some extra noise (subwoofer signal that'll go through another low-pass filter, FM radio, cable TV) you'll probably be fine.
I would definitely use a short bit of flat cable if I had the choice instead of an optical transducer through a window pane, if for no other reason than it's a heck of alot cheaper. It will also probably produce a clearer signal.
Oops, I just noticed that this is an old thread that's been resurrected. Oh well, since I finished typing all this I might as well leave it now :)
Allan: Partsexpress has one (part number 180-206), and I'm sure RadioShack has one too. You might also try HomeDepot, they carry some home A/V products.

Users who are viewing this thread