1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Does anyone know...?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Kevin G., Jan 21, 2004.

1. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

Just curious,
    If satellite networks broadcast in stereo? There was a brief moment last night where my new Philips just spit out a stereo signal and it registered on the screen, then it reverted to mono all on it's own, the difference in sound was impressive(for just watching regular tv).
    This has bugged me since it was hooked up(I show a fake spatial in mono but no stereo reproduction.)

2. GregBe

GregBe Second Unit

It should. Mine certainly does. I use Dolby ProLogic II all the time for Directv

Greg

3. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

hmmm,
    I wonder if his is a hookup error, I have my sat receiver routed to the stereo first and then to the tv, could this the the problem?

4. John S

John S Producer

Well then how in the world would your TV know what was stereo and what isn't???

The message on your screen almost had to come from the sat box itself.

5. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

I'm sure it did, but it was just outta the blue while watching mtv and it just flashed stero accross the screen and the sound changed and then switched back to mono.
    also, when I go into the sound setup and select the stereo mode it will not select anything but mono.
    even when I change channels the status always says mono

6. John S

John S Producer

Stereo can drop out with signal. Maybe your dish is not 100% in correct alignment perhaps??

Grasping at straws here, MTV should be in stereo nomatter what from my experiences.

7. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

That's kinda what I thought, even broadcast TV local channels(in stereo surround) show up in mono

8. Andrew O'Brien

Andrew O'Brien Stunt Coordinator

My TV does not indicate the audio format on screen but almost all channels on the Dish or Direct TV satellites are in Stereo and some in Dolby Digital (HBO for example). If you are getting a decent picture then the audio signal will be strong enough to produce a stereo signal to the TV.

9. Kevin G.

Kevin G. Second Unit

Well, I did figure it out, I went old school when I setup the new TV. I was going through the 75 ohm coax for input from the satellite and sending the sat signal to the receiver, now I have the sat signal going direct to the tv via one of the AV jacks, I still have a couple of hookup tweeks and questions.... so if you're out there John S??!!