What's new

Does anyone know what happened to Crimson Tide SE and BlackHawk Down SE? (1 Viewer)

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Yes, perhaps their are differences. I too have noticed differences in quality in the video area, but only slight improvement, and only in certain scenes and only in certain movies. If I'm going to get a BETTER release that boasts higher quality all around, I would much rather see BIGGER improvements throughout the entire movie rather than just a few scenes that I have to really take a good look at. In the audio area, it normally exists when a DTS track has been added. In some cases(The Mask of Zorro) a Superbit was not needed, since the previous 2-Disc set had a DTS track and great picture quality. The DTS tracks probably had no difference at all, and the only improvements would be in the video areas. In some cases with Superbits, unless you have a widescreen TV or some other expensive high end set, it is very difficult to notice differences unless you have both copies on hand and can do a comparison. In some scenes, yess differences are noticeable, usually in detailed scenes. But in others, with faster moving sequences, it may be more difficult. In the case of BHD, where grain is intentional, a Superbit would proabaly not solve this. Yes, the bit rate would be higher, but since the film was shot this way, it would be very hard to notice improvements.

In certain scenes in this movie (BHD), that are moving very fast and have intentional grain, I thought the transfer was handled well. The only reason to have a Superbit of BHD would be for the audio, and thats all. Many felt this way about the previous release. If a Superbit is to be released, it should be a title that would show off both the audio and video areas. With a film like BHD, the transfer makes it difficult to notice improvements in detail and any other scenes. I'll bet that if a Superbit could be made of some of Spielberg's films(A.I., Saving Private Ryan, and Minority Report) you would notice little if any difference in video quality, due to the intentional grain. So far, none of the current Superbits have been shot in this manner. Their for, a Superbit of a film that has intentional grain would be a waste, because the grain(and high contrast in some cases) is still their and can't be taken away or improved. Thats the way it was shot.

I know this all can be argued, since Superbits have a higher audio and video bit rate, but if you are going to use it, make it worth while. I don't see the need to use it in a film that will only improve certain areas. Unless you remaster or improve the negative and use a different(or better one) it is still the same transfer, just lack of features and higher bit rate. It should be a film that will show off the A/V qulaity and be noticeable, even to those with smaller televison who buy the Superbit for this case.

Also, Superbits have caused some harm because they put too many of the same title on the markets. With some of these titles, their are already 2 and soon 3 of the same release. Unless you can afford both, you are stuck with one. People should be able to make a choice more easily. They see 2 of the same movies, but they are different. One has extras but isnt a Superbit, and the other is. All Superbit is really a fancy package with a logo slapped on it that boasts higher quality. It is still the same film, same transer, lack of extras and a louder soundtrack.
ANY improvement in picture quality to even a small degree is worth it to me
Yes thats fine, but everyones eyes and ears are different. Improvements to some are no improvements to all. A small improvement in quality to a small degree is not worth it to me, because unless you can make that video quality great the first time, you can release as many improvements as you want time after time, and you will keep getting SMALL improvements. You could do this for a long time, but you will never get it right. Also, small improvements to a small degree will only work in the cases where it will be noticeable. This may only apply to certain movies in certain scenes. I don't plan to waste my time during the entire movie waiting for certain scenes just to say, "now thats a LITTLE better than the last DVD I saw, but just by a LITTLE bit. Now that is not why i watch movies in the first place, to just see small improvements in certain scenes. IF you care for quality fine, more power to you. But I would want to see something more than SMALL improvemtns to a SMALL degree.

Unless more people can appreciate the quality and see the bigger differences, then the Superbits are wasted. Those who can afford to buy more than one of the same title will notice a difference if one exists, but others will accept the fact that this is what you get, and unless BIGGER improvements can be made, I'll be fine with this. I think I owuld look for more than SMALL improvements. Afterall, I'm not spending a SMALL mount of money in the first place to replace a title I already own just to get small improvements. Its not night and day, more like dusk and dawn.

When HD-DVD comes out, Superbits will be one big joke, and I will be glad I didn't buy into the hype, if their is any at all. In any case, when HD-DVD comes out, we'll all find ourselves buying newer versions of some titles, but this time, EVERYONE can notice the differences in a big way reather than a SMALL way. I can call that money well spent.

MarcinL

Stunt Coordinator
WHY THE SUBERBIT DID MORE HARM THAN GOOD??????

Why they just forget the suberbit bs and just release the superbit quality in the begining like NEW LINE IS DOING, Oh wait but i forgot ITS COLUMBIA so they will release 10 different version to get your money, I Swear they release the first versions purposely with ok quality just so later they can give you better!!! GIVE US BETTER NOW forget later!

HOW MANY VERSION OF MASK OF ZORRO ARE THERE!!!

First one regular widescreen!!!
Second Special Edition!!!
Third Superbit Edition!!!

COME ON I BET YOU SOME PEOPLE BOUGHT ALL 3 maybe the sold the other ones but columboa got their money 3 times!!!!

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I have to agree with JoshB about DTS soundtracks. Sure, you have a handful of DVD junkies on this forum who would rather die than buy less than a DTS disc but that is NOT the majority of DVD buyers. The studios have to look at the overall scheme of things. I for one fall into that category as DTS has no meaning to me other than taking up space for extras I rather have. I watch my DVD's on a standard 27" TV through a 20-year old 100amp stereo system.

I do not consider myself the often bashed J6P because I DO advocate Widescreen but if my buying a movie for the Movie and I want to spend my $$$ for the extras then I guess I fall into that class.

If the Superbits (thinking down the road) does offer an optional 2-disc set with all the options, I would buy that but until that time, I will stick to the above.

BTW... I learn a LOT from these forums but I also learn that there are some who are absolutely "obsessed" and are acting like spoiled brats. It gets my dander up and that is why I have weaned myself away from them. Point in case... when all we had was VHS, did you worry about such things? Just be thankful that DVD's even exist. There is more in life to worry about right now than a DTS track!

With that said, I too am waiting on the BHD 3-disc set.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
Let me decide for myself if it is worthwhile. said:
How can you compare 480 lines of resolution to 1080 and what does Superbit have to do with this? All standard DVDs will be one big joke when HD-DVD arrives. But, that is years away anyway and I am certainly not going to worry about not buying DVDs right now. When that day comes, I will sell every DVD on Ebay and get back most of what I paid for them and in some cases, exactly what I paid for them.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
From the first post in this thread I kinda thought BHD and CRIMSON TIDE were the same studio. I see that apparently they are not, just the thread made it seem that way. Anyways, I still hope they release a new version of CRIMSON TIDE. This is one of my all-time favorite movies, but I will not buy the current release. I rented it once and the picture was not very good, and I hate non-anamorphic OAR. I'll just have to live with my copy of it on VHS until they do re-release this one, and HUNT FOR RED OCTOBER.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
It sure seems like this has turned into yet another Superbit complaint thread ;)
...any new news about the two DVDs in question, esp BHD?

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Damn...June. I'm happy to have an (un-official) date, but man...June, jeez.

MarcinL

Stunt Coordinator
FORGET SUBERBIT TOO EXPENSIVE

I was a Best Buy and was looking for BIG HIT, and hmm let me see.

BIG HIT - $9.99
BIG HIT SUPERBIT - $22.99

FORGET THE SUPERBIT, picture on big hit is great, no complaints there

WHATEVER HAPPENED TO D-VHS KINDA SLOW DOWN NOW

June seems like a long way to wait but I'm sure it will be worth it whether BHD has a DTS track or not. I'm buying it either way. I've waited long enough for this special edition and if another version is produced sometime down the road, well then, too bad. I'll already have the movie and I doubt I'll fork out more $ for a new version.

BTW

JoshB,
How did you get confirmation on the June release? Just curious.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks