What's new

Does anyone know anything about VMPS subs? (1 Viewer)

Arnold_R

Stunt Coordinator
Martice,

The sub doesn't include a crossover. You can purchase one from VMPS. I use the crossover in my AVR. It's been a whime since I assembled the kit, I don't remember if I had to solder the wires or used wire connectors to connect the internal wiring to the necssary speaker terminals on the back of the cabinet. Everything was pre-drilled, so assembly was pretty straight forward. The only hard part was the optional "Sound Coating" used inside the cabinet. I poured it inside the cabinet and actually turned/rotated the 100+ lbs cabinet to get the coating all over the inside. I've been so impressed with the Larger sub, that I'm actually thinking of getting 2 - New Larger Sub with the optional drivers! And of course, using QSC amps! Let me know if you any other info.

Arnold

Martice

Screenwriter
Don, grab a svs and you won't have to worry about it anymore...that's what I did,
Hi Tommy. It seems that one person in this thread (and a few others on other forums) have grabbed an SVS and have since sold it once they heard the VMPS. This being known, I guess we'd have to get a little more indepth information as to why the others chose the VMPS over the SVS (which model)and how they use their sub and what material they listen too.

Hey the SVS may be for him or it may not be. It's obvious that Don isn't a "grabber" which is why he's asking the questions that he is.

On the other hand. Glad you like your SVS.

Arnold_R

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I guess I could have used a paint brush, but the "Sound Coat" is pretty darn THICK! It has the consistency of oatmeal! I just kept turning the cabinet around until it literally stop moving inside the cabinet. Hopefully some has an easier method, but I believe this is what the owner(Brian/VMPS) told me to do. I actually demo'd this sub at his house and then went to the fcatory to pick-up my sub after I decided this was for me.

Arnold

Don

Second Unit
I'm not a Grabber but like to research what i Buy First. right now for Speakers i have KLH because paradigm quit making the speakers i wanted and can't find any decent LCR speakers that are 8 ohms

Don

Second Unit
Tommyl i'm not sure which SVS to get and i wish the vmps sub had a powered one. i only have one outlet in the room i'm using. Don,

John A. Casler

Second Unit
Hey Don,

Now you have me slightly confused. If you get a "powered" sub it still takes an "outlet". If you get a non-powered and use an "outboard amp" it too takes an outlet.

If you get a "non-powered" with a line level x-over built in, "THEN" you could use it via your exisiting amp and not need an additional electrical outlet.

The only difference between "onboard" and "outboard" subs is that you get to select the amp with the outboard.

If you have only "one outlet" in the room then that is the one the "powered SUB" will have to be plugged into as well. As I mentioned earlier, this might limit placement options (unless you don't mind using an extension cord)

Going with an "outboard" is probably more similar to going "seperates", allowing for upgrades and such, but the electrical outlet requirement is the same.

All the best,

John

Don

Second Unit
i'm using a surge protector to plug evreythiung in i'm not fully understanding what your saying.

keir

Stunt Coordinator
(most plate amps are the cheapest high distortion amps available), you can upgrade your amp if you have to start with an old receiver or cheap amp, and the only "extra" investment is in one extra speaker cable.
class D (plate amps) are high distortion at full bandwith, but i was under the impression that they are fine for subwoofers because they produce low frequency with low distortion.

i have heard svs plate amp and a parts express 250 watt plate amp (with a tempest driver in a sonotube) and neither have audible distortion.

TommyL

Supporting Actor
FYI...I bought the 20-39 pci sub from SVS...the powered one...now, I use mine for HT 80/20...but it sounds damn good for music also...calibration etc takes time, and a little "fiddling" can really help. Even with that seeming measly 325 watt bash amp(small compared to svs's other newer models) it took stuff right off my walls...downstairs and on the other side...and I never pushed it hard at all..funny thing was...its a bass that doesn't seem to daze you...just slams you and counts a 3...if you need anymore than that (depending upon room size) ya best have paddles right beside ya:)

John A. Casler

Second Unit
i'm using a surge protector to plug evreythiung in i'm not fully understanding what your saying.
You said that "i wish the vmps sub had a powered one. i only have one outlet in the room i'm using."

This gave me the impression that you didn't realize that powered or unpowered you will still need to plug the "amp" powering the SUB into an electrical outlet.

Regards,

John

Martice

Screenwriter
Passive subs have no power plugs so it alone won't take up any outlets and connects to the separate power amp via speaker cables. The separate power amp does need an outlet in order to work.

On the other hand, a powered sub does require the same power outlet but doesn't need speaker cable to connect the sub to the amp because it's built in already.

Either way, you'll need the same power outlet for either of the two.

Tyson

Stunt Coordinator
SVS-Ron,
I actually don't own a VMPS sub, I got a custom sub built for my by Kyle at Acoustic Visions, based around a BluePrint 1503 driver and dual 18 inch passive radiators. I wanted a single box sub that I'd never have to worry about bottoming out, even if I got a bigger HT space in the future. I do have 2 friends that own VMPS subs though - one has a single Larger sub in his HT, and the other has a pair of 'original' subs in a stereo setup.

I'd love to give a listen to one of your new subs. I was actually happy with the overall performance of my "original issue" 16-46, but just wanted a bit more output :) But since I don't own either VMPS or SVS subs, I'd probably be pretty impartial.

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
The only thing I will have to respectfully state about most of the posts (actually I can't even remember one that points out the plus or Ultra series) that I read where someone upgrades from a SVS to a VMPS (or for that matter the HSU subs as well) is that they usually are comparing the CS or PC entry level subs to usually a VMPS with full mods/options. Personally I don't think it's fair to compare these as the price differential is such that for the most part we are talking about two different targetted markets (not including the form factor) but I can see going to the VMPS just because the sound is preferred and the appearance as well. I respect VMPS because like them I personally believe it takes great drivers, decent size cabinet, and use of bracing to make certain the cabinet doesn't affect the sound that so many cheap and horrible subs don't take into account.

Personally I think both companies are excellent to deal with and if one has never heard either they should be impressed with both. I also hate the fact that these products are compared meaning that most believe that these are the only products at this price point to consider (why oh why do people not compare with what's availible at Adire, HSU, Kyle, Brian, and Stryke; in other words why limit your choice down to two!) as you should compare products that are about equal price as it's very unfair to compare a powered sub to a passive (because with passive you must buy an amp therefore you should up the model of the powered to bring up a more fair comparison) of equal price points. I would recommend to most buy a sub from any of the dealers that most consider a diy model gone to market as these subs will beat anything at your local dealers at an equivolent price point and you will most likely be happy even with the worst sub of the bunch.

Martice

Screenwriter
I would recommend to most buy a sub from any of the dealers that most consider a diy model gone to market as these subs will beat anything at your local dealers at an equivalent price point and you will most likely be happy even with the worst sub of the bunch.
What I was saying above but much more efficiently and effectively.

EdNichols

Second Unit
I think Martice and Robert have hit the nail on the head.

When I first posted the question, I had know idea of the "history" there was between SVS and VMPS sub owners. I would compare it to the Ford and Chevy owners that have "debated" as to who was best over the years.

Over the past few days I have read many, many, threads on this subject in HTF and other forums and have come to the conclusion that based on opinions that the VMPS is a little better for music and the SVS a little better for HT. However, these were just peoples opinions on how they compared to what they were listening to at the time.

There was no mention in these opinions whether the SVS had the newer drivers or if the VMPS had the magawoofer, sound coat etc. Sometimes the comparison was with a powered SVS and an unpowered VMPS using a different brand amp with different output. I don't recall any SPL measurements or room placement experiments or month long listening sessions or anything that would be required to really compare the two.

So IMHO these were probably apples and oranges comparisons.
I would dare say that if you brought 100 audiophiles into a room and did a blind, side-by-side comparison of the two you would probably have 50 say the VMPS is better and 50 say SVS is better, based on their personal preference of the way a sub should sound. I think the bottom line is that both subs probably sound better than most anything that is not many times their cost.

I have come to the conclusion is what we have is three very intelligent, hard working men, Brian at VMPS, and Ron and Tom at SVS, who are all passionate about designing and building (American made I might add)speakers that the average person like us who have mortgages and kids to feed can afford to purchase and still enjoy great sound.

In either case we are the winners because we don't have to take out a 2nd mortgage to get a sub that will rattle the windows.

God Bless America.

Joe Wilmore

Stunt Coordinator
I can comment directly on this, because I just replaced a 20-39 pci with a VMPS larger. I would start by saying for $549.00, I can think of nothing wrong with the SVS. It does everything right, and most people would never want or need anything more.
That being said, the VMPS is in another class altogether. I am listening to music with the sub 5 db's higher than the SVS, and hearing greater detail in the songs. I know that the SVS is one of their lower models, but I have come to the conclusion that subwoofers have a tone quality to them. I know that the ultra or the PC Plus are much better than the PCI, but I don't think that changes the tone of the sub. I am probably one of the few people on this site that does not think you can just take a great 12" driver drop it in a whatever liter box, and it will blow everything away. There is a tone quality in bass.
And no, the SVS, at least the PCI, is not better for movies, not even close. And yes, I know the PC plus or the Ultra would be better than the PCI. I was very happy with the PCI, but after hearing the VMPS for just a couple of days, I know that I will not ever be buying another sub.

Joe Wilmore

Stunt Coordinator
I am using both channels of an Adcom 555. One channel to each woofer. 200 watts per channel into 8 ohms.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks