1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Does a small, good sub exist?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Brad Newton, May 8, 2003.

1. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

I am looking for something small in size, but still gets the job done. I don't want anything of any size that knocks the pictures off the walls or cracks the drywall, but I would like something that lets you hear and feel explosions, etc. I will join this with Klipsch rf3II, rc3II, sb2, ss1 & Pioneer 45tx. Am I looking for something that doesn't exist?

2. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Brad,

You never responded on your other thread whether the sound or size of the sub was overwhelming but I take it from this thread that it is the size of the sub, not the sound, that is overwhelming in your room.

I still recommend the Hsu VTF-2 as a reasonably sized good sounding, affordable sub. If cost isn't a big issue, check out the Velodyne HGS-10. Its quite small, less than 1 cubic foot, very fast and tight, and will get you down to 20 Hz.

Alex

3. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

It's possible if your budget is high enough, what's the budget?

4. Danny Tse

Danny Tse Producer

How about the Pinnacle Subsonic??

[​IMG]

9 7/8" x 9 7/8" x 9 7/8"....375 watts....dual 8" drivers....rated down to 25 Hz (-3 db)

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

In addition to the aforementioned VTF-2, you might consider the Rava sub, made by Adire audio. It comes in at about $400 and is an 18” cube (sealed with a 12” driver).

A little more expensive, a little bit smaller, and perhaps a bit better looking is the Rocket UFW-10 due to be available this month from AV123 at ~$600. (sealed, with a 10” driver).

6. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

7. Alan M

Alan M Second Unit

I'd also recommend the athena P-2 sub.Clean bass sound without any boominess.It goes down to 25hz,and has a very small footprint.S&V gave the p-2,s-2 combo rave reveiws,and I'm very pleased with its performance. Cost is $375,my wife was overjoyed to see me bring home a small sub that we both could live with.

8. Alex Prosak

Alex Prosak Supporting Actor

Brad,

The "better" subs won't bring your house down or cause structural damage. If you're looking in the SVS price range the HGS-10 isn't it, I believe it goes for $1800-1900. I should have mentioned the forthcoming UFW-10 as well. I've heard very good things about the alpha of this model and the final version is supposed to be better. It is relatively small though larger than the Velo and the finish is drop dead gorgeous (IMHO). Here's a link to a pic: http://forum.av123.com/showthread.ph...ighlight=UFW10

9. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Brad,

If they are in your price range, check REL. Excellent subs, all of them, certainly not too big (not all of their models) and really excellent musical as wel as theatrical sound.

Cees

10. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

Here's a nice ONE RIGHT HERE and it is well documented for it's all aound performance.

11. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

12. Tekara

Tekara Supporting Actor

judging by the fact that you could afford the monnster SVS sub but you find it to be too big then why don't you look into the sunfire subs, this one in particular is quite stunning for it's size:

http://www.sunfire.com/products/index.html

13. Kevin*Harley

Kevin*Harley Stunt Coordinator

Size and aesthetics were both concerns of my wife and variables in my purchase.
    I will put another vote for the Velodyne HGS series ( I went with the HGS15)[​IMG] Great performance and their size and the piano finish will make the wife happy.

14. Frank Carter

Frank Carter Screenwriter

If the Velodyne HGS subs are pricier than you want, the Velodyne SPL series are very potent and compact subs as well.

15. Shawn_MM

Shawn_MM Extra

How about the Def Tech SupercubeI. Measures 14x14x14 with two 10 inchers and a 1500 amp and all the way down to 13 Hz. I heard Def Tech makes some wonderful subs. (Allmost as good as Subway)[​IMG]

16. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

How about the Adire Audio Dharman? You'll have HGS15 type output for only $600.

17. Martice

Martice Screenwriter

18. Nick V

Nick V Second Unit

Some more subs to look into may be the Sunfire jr. and the Carver Knightshadow. They are a bit on the pricey side as well, but I'm sure you could find them for reasonable prices slightly used, if you're comfortable on the used market. These things are very fast and accurate, and go pretty low for their tiny size.

Here's a link to the sunfire super jr. and I'll try to find some info on the knightshadow for you.

Here's a link to someone on audiogon selling b-stock juniors for a great price.

19. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Martice is right, the Rava would be perfect. Right price, excellent quality. It'll stomp those 1 note wonder "micro" subs.

20. Joe Wilmore

Joe Wilmore Stunt Coordinator

I will throw the new Von Schweikert VR S1 into the mix.