What's new

Does a DD to DTS converter exist? (1 Viewer)

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
I've got a Yammy 2092, their first DD receiver. It only converts DD, not DTS and doesn't have 6 channel inputs. I love the sound of the receiver so I'm not looking to swap it out for a new one.

Is there a black box that does this conversion? I'm betting lack of demand and/or technical difficulties in doing it would make such a box cost-prohibitive but it can't hurt to ask.

I remember a while ago, someone had plans on how to mod it to add 6 channel inputs. Does anyone remember how to do that? IIRC, it had to do with using the pre-out jacks that the receiver has. If so, how is volume controlled since it sounds like the pre-amp section is bypassed.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Jeff: Add-on stand-alone DD/DTS decoders are rapidly becoming a thing of the past. The only add-ons that are now widely available are already on DVD players (that have 5.1 outputs.)

I do see that you can have MSB modify your unit to process DTS. I didn't check the price but it's almost certainly less than a new receiver of your 2092's quality.

Here's the link... http://www.msbtech.com/Catalog/FAQ/adddts.htm

Good Luck!

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
If you've got a pre-out / Post-in loop on that receiver you can add a Millenium 2.4.6 decoder and use its manual volume control for DTS. The 2.4.6 has no bass management but is a very nice DTS decoder with excellent sound and build quality. I used one for quite some time before upgrading to a preamp with DTS built-in.

If I were you I would be happy with DD.

Albert Damico

Stunt Coordinator
I still don't understand what the picture on your Television set has to do with your audio receiver's ability to produce Dolby Digital or Digital Theater Sound, which are audio formats and have nothing to do with video at all.

Albert Damico

Stunt Coordinator
Ahh! It was the DVD player and not the receiver. Yes I do understand and there was no need to be insulting. My questions were serious. I apologize for my ignorance, how kind of you to point it out.

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
My posts were intended to show my indifference regarding DD vs DTS, as DTS seems to be a "me too" format that should have died with LD.
I disagree strongly with that particular broad brushstroke. While DD and DTS are about the same for movies, IMO, DTS kills DD in music presentations. The DVD-A discs that I've compared the DD, DTS, and PCM tracks on have shown this again and again. Also, DTS CDs sound fantastic to me. You can do without DTS but there's no need to villify the format. I mean if you were really indifferent you wouldn't have posted at all, right?

MarkO

Second Unit
I agree with Philip,,Im glad the DVD format with its DD standard did not shut out DTS.

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
If you've got a pre-out / Post-in loop on that receiver you can add a Millenium 2.4.6 decoder and use its manual volume control for DTS.
No, it doesn't have 6 channel inputs, that's the issue with it. I know I asked about a DD to DTS converter but would LOVE to find the mod talked about a few years back to add the 6 channel inputs to it. Then I can get a DVD-A or SACD player.

Chuck Kent

Supporting Actor
Even though MSB does not mention adding a 5.1 input to the 2092 (only the DTS upgrade), you could call them and see if they can do it. There are a couple of other Yamaha products they do modify that way...

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
No, it doesn't have 6 channel inputs, that's the issue with it.
I'm not talking about 6 channel inputs. Some older high end receivers (like the Onkyo 838 for example) have pre/out - post/in loops on the back. This would allow for the use fo an equalizer or an external amplifier. The Millenium is designed to work in this situation (among many others).

jeff peterson

Supporting Actor
Philip, it has pre/out - post/in but only for the 2 mains. I'm assuming it would need 6 for the Millenium to work, right?

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it would need all six. I remember my Onkyo 828 and 919 both had that feature. I never needed it since they were "DD-Ready" and had a 5.1 input.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks