What's new

Doctor Who (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
David Weicker said:
It looks like Season 8 will premiere on August 23rd.
Awesome news! And the BBC is describing the season premiere as "feature length", which sort of makes up for this series being an episode shorter than previous seven.

Teaser trailer:
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIzgoB8pXuc&feature=player_detailpage[/media]

Promotional photo:
doctorwho-series8.jpg

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Looking forward to this. Didn't become a fan until the David Tennant/Matt Smith years so not familiar with the "classics". This guy seems a bit old for the part and I still miss Karen Gillan, but I'm quite sure it will be very well done.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
Stan said:
Looking forward to this. Didn't become a fan until the David Tennant/Matt Smith years so not familiar with the "classics". This guy seems a bit old for the part and I still miss Karen Gillan, but I'm quite sure it will be very well done.
Then you are certainly just a "New Generation" Doctor Who fan, as you mentioned. Otherwise, you would know that MOST of the other actors were in fact older than what we have seen with Tennant and especially Smith. In fact, I am very much still partial to the Classic Who compared to the new stuff that's been done. The effects are much better now, but I love the pacing and stories of Classic Who as a whole better. Most of the Classic Who was around 2 of the New shows in terms of time/pacing and some were even 3-4 taking up 4-6 parts per story. Also, it seemed a bet more grounded and less cartoon like in nature, especially compared to the Matt Smith shows.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
A warning to people who want to go into the upcoming series of "Doctor Who" fresh: Someone from BBC Latin America leaked the scripts to five of the new episodes, and they're spreading around the internet like wild fire.

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Adam Lenhardt said:
A warning to people who want to go into the upcoming series of "Doctor Who" fresh: Someone from BBC Latin America leaked the scripts to five of the new episodes, and they're spreading around the internet like wild fire.
Thanks for the info. I'm pretty good at avoiding "spoiler" stories, but I'll be extra careful with Doctor Who news for the next few months.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Commercial with some new footage:
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvkJ_Os4cD0[/media]

The season premiere will be 76 minutes long, and get its own stand alone Blu-Ray release in early September.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
There will be a 50th Anniversary collection released on both DVD and Blu-Ray (I've attached the Amazon UK Blu-Ray link).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00M40FCY8

It will contain, among other things:The Name Of The Doctor
The Night Of The Doctor & The Last Day
The Day Of The Doctor (with cinema introductions)
The Time Of The Doctor

An Adventure In Space And Time
The Five(ish) Doctors Reboot
2013 Prom

(dvd link here - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00M40F018) I imagine this R2 PAL, so if ordering, be prepared.

This is a limited release - 6000 Blu-Ray and 4000 DVD.I've pre-ordered the Blu-Ray at 34 pounds, so after removing VAT, but adding in shipping, it comes to about $54. I do not know yet if it is Region Free. I do not know if it is the same transfer of DOTD as the initial release (at theatrical 24fps).

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Looks like a pretty good set. It's probably too much to hope that the episodes will run at the correct speed, but maybe they'll at least fix the sound on Day.

Since it's limited, is a US release unlikely?

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
For those that haven't seen it yet or don't know, this week's EW magazine features Capaldi on the front cover with a great feature story. A must have for any true DW fan I think.

In EW, they discuss how his Doctor is different, saying all the NEW Doctors so far have been like a "good boyfriend" type that may step out of line at times but never any real issues. Capaldi's Doctor will be much different and he will NOT be the "good boyfriend" any more. A darker, harder, more extreme Doctor that borders on the edge, sort like Batman.

As has been revealed, we will see the return of the Daleks, Cybermen and The Master. Details were left out of course, but there is a lot to look forward to the article said.

It sounds must better to me than Smith (never a fan of his) and I'm really looking forward to this.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
Jeffery_H said:
For those that haven't seen it yet or don't know, this week's EW magazine features Capaldi on the front cover with a great feature story. A must have for any true DW fan I think.

In EW, they discuss how his Doctor is different, saying all the NEW Doctors so far have been like a "good boyfriend" type that may step out of line at times but never any real issues. Capaldi's Doctor will be much different and he will NOT be the "good boyfriend" any more. A darker, harder, more extreme Doctor that borders on the edge, sort like Batman.

As has been revealed, we will see the return of the Daleks, Cybermen and The Master. Details were left out of course, but there is a lot to look forward to the article said.

It sounds must better to me than Smith (never a fan of his) and I'm really looking forward to this.
Forgive me for being skeptical, but unless they've hired a complete slate of new writers (and I missed Adam's post), it sounds like the EW article was about getting noticed than actual change. 'Hey! The Doctor's different now - he's edgy; like Batman!' Brief aside - does that 'it's dark like Batman' even work anymore? With everything trying to be dark and brooding and 'anti-boy scout', to me it's actually making boy scouts like Captain America all the more cool.......

Anyways, the idea that all the new Doctors have been the 'good boyfriend' type is wrong and I think they're talking more about appearance of the last two Doctors. Eccleston's Doctor was hardly the 'boyfriend' type. He was bitter and angry (which given being right after the Time War ended makes a whole lotta sense). If he was the 'boyfriend' type then I'd contend that ALL of the Doctor's incantations have been the boyfriend type. Even Hartnell's.

I'm looking forward to Capaldi's run as the Doctor, just as I looked forward to Smith's run, and all before - because they were the Doctor! Capaldi's Doctor will be different from Smith's (Smith, I believe, suffered a no-win situation and is taking the brunt of objections that were based moreso on the storytelling than just his portrayal) but he's still the Doctor, not Batman. The Doctor's modis operandi is one of hope, not despair.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor
KevinGress said:
Anyways, the idea that all the new Doctors have been the 'good boyfriend' type is wrong and I think they're talking more about appearance of the last two Doctors. Eccleston's Doctor was hardly the 'boyfriend' type. He was bitter and angry (which given being right after the Time War ended makes a whole lotta sense). If he was the 'boyfriend' type then I'd contend that ALL of the Doctor's incantations have been the boyfriend type. Even Hartnell's.
No, you are wrong about that, did you read the EW article at all? That "good boyfriend" quote came from Moffat himself describing the difference between the other 3 new Who actors and Capaldi's. "Not as sweet and lovable as the others", "Very unapologetic"

Stan

Senior HTF Member
joshEH said:
Well, BBC's promo clips are doing the job.

"This is Clara. She's my..."
"...Carer."
"Yes. My carer. She cares, so I don't have to."

I'm sold.
Avoided all the clips and previews, just want to go into it with a fresh start.
The quotes you provided are wonderful. So "me". I think I'm really going to enjoy the new Doctor.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
Jeffery_H said:
No, you are wrong about that, did you read the EW article at all? That "good boyfriend" quote came from Moffat himself describing the difference between the other 3 new Who actors and Capaldi's. "Not as sweet and lovable as the others", "Very unapologetic"
I'm going off of Moffat's quote - he's the one who's wrong. Either he said that just to be provocative (my guess) or he plans on creating a character that isn't Dr. Who. Dr. Who can be arrogant; Dr. Who can be headstrong; but what Dr. Who must be is likeable. If he tries to channel Capaldi's character in Torchwood: Children of Earth, you'll see a revolt 100 times more massive than those who complained about Smith's characterization.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
New 30-second promo:
[media]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjQ2x2-kxNQ[/media]
I put it in spoiler tags because even the preview still image is a spoiler.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks