What's new

Doctor Who: Series 1-7 Limited Edition Blu-ray Giftset Available for Preorder (1 Viewer)

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
jcroy said:
Wonder if it's better and less expensive to just buy the UK dvd (series 1-4 + 2008-2010 specials) and bluray (series 5+) versions, than the American versions of the same titles. (Assuming one can play and watch region 2 dvds and region B blurays).
I have Series 1-4 as R2 PAL DVDs and from The Specials forward, the UK blu-rays. I would think that either the UK or US blu-ray boxset of The Specials would be preferable to the DVD boxset, since all but The Next Doctor were shot in high-def. Also, both the UK and US Specials boxsets are the exact-same identical 1080i/60 encode (UK special features might be PAL rather than NTSC, though).

It should be noted that all blu-ray releases of The Next Doctor (including the brand-new boxsets) have the errors I noted in post #12 above. The only way to have the as-broadcast version is to buy the individual DVD release of that one.

Since I have an Oppo BDP-83 player, I'm skeptical that the blu-ray upscales will be any better looking than the upscale that the Oppo is capable of. The big upgrade most reviews I've read mentioned was in the audio department, since the audio track would be lossless/uncompressed, unlike the DVD, despite the fact it plays at a slower speed than we're all used to.

Is it cheaper to import the UK 1-4 DVD set, The Specials and the individual boxes for Series 5-7? Most definitely. It's also a lot cheaper than buying the equivalent in US releases (not just that blu-ray gift set). Always has been.

One thing you'd better make sure of (if you haven't already) is not just the region thing, but that your blu-ray player and/or your TV can handle a 50hz high def signal.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Well, so much for that sale, BBC. I was thinking about getting this set soon, but not now. I do have the Series 7 Part 2 Blu-ray and the episodes look fine. I'd much rather have them at the correct speed.

I really hope this slowing-down process is just an experiment and doesn't become the norm for future releases.

smithbrad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
When you play region 2 DVD's is it output in PAL or is it converted to NTSC for play back? Some DVD players can convert while some don't. Some displays support PAL while others made for the US market do not. I'm just curious in what your setup supports.

All I can say is that I didn't notice any distractions with the US Blu-ray releases of series 5 through 7 with the 1080i releases. I think the switch to 1080p and 24 fps started with the new complete series 7 release and now the Day of the Doctor release.

One of the difficulties when comparing region 2 vs. region 1 DVD releases has to do with what source is used. In some cases, the same source is used for both so any differences could be attributed to the conversion process. But other times completely different source prints are used (I believe this has happened with some A&E releases), so any differences could easily be related to a lesser quality print and not a conversion.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
smithbrad said:
When you play region 2 DVD's is it output in PAL or is it converted to NTSC for play back? Some DVD players can convert while some don't. Some displays support PAL while others made for the US market do not. I'm just curious in what your setup supports.
Good question.

I don't use my standalone dvd players anymore. I just watch my dvds on the computer connected to my large screen tv, using "media player classic" or videolan. On the computer, it completely bypasses all kinds of issues associated with standalone dvd players.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
AndyMcKinney said:
I have Series 1-4 as R2 PAL DVDs and from The Specials forward, the UK blu-rays. I would think that either the UK or US blu-ray boxset of The Specials would be preferable to the DVD boxset, since all but The Next Doctor were shot in high-def. Also, both the UK and US Specials boxsets are the exact-same identical 1080i/60 encode (UK special features might be PAL rather than NTSC, though).

It should be noted that all blu-ray releases of The Next Doctor (including the brand-new boxsets) have the errors I noted in post #12 above. The only way to have the as-broadcast version is to buy the individual DVD release of that one.
Are these errors present on the UK region 2 dvd version of the 2008-2010 specials?

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
AndyMcKinney said:
One thing you'd better make sure of (if you haven't already) is not just the region thing, but that your blu-ray player and/or your TV can handle a 50hz high def signal.
I haven't had any major problems with 1080i-50 yet.

With that being said, if a UK bluray disc doesn't play properly on my standalone bluray player, I'll just watch it on the computer connected to my large screen tv.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
jcroy said:
Are these errors present on the UK region 2 dvd version of the 2008-2010 specials?
I don't know. I suspect they used the same master for both the stand-alone and The Specials, but don't know for sure. I think the errors only pertain to any (and all) blu-ray upscales of "The Next Doctor".

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
Amazon has this listed as "unavailable". Usually when they are out of stock they'll list a delay. This sounds more like a cancellation.

Christian T Lee

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Christian Taylor Lee

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
AndyMcKinney said:
I would think that either the UK or US blu-ray boxset of The Specials would be preferable to the DVD boxset, since all but The Next Doctor were shot in high-def.
Going on a tangent.

Recently recorded both the hd and non-hd cable broadcasts of "The Next Doctor" and "The End of Time", largely to see the differences.

For "The Next Doctor", both hd and non-hd broadcasts looked equally bad. (Both looked like a 4:3 frame with black bars at the sides, top and bottom of the screen. But the commercials in the hd broadcast were in hd resolution).

For "The End of Time", the hd broadcasts looked barely better than the non-hd broadcasts. The hd broadcasts had all kinds of annoying artifacts like the "staircase effect" on diagonal (or curved) contrasting sharp edges. If this episode was indeed originally filmed in hd resolution, it looked like it was largely treated as an "afterthought".

Comparing these to Matt Smith era episodes in hd resolution, it was like seeing the difference between night and day.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
jcroy said:
Going on a tangent.Recently recorded both the hd and non-hd cable broadcasts of "The Next Doctor" and "The End of Time", largely to see the differences.For "The Next Doctor", both hd and non-hd broadcasts looked equally bad. (Both looked like a 4:3 frame with black bars at the sides, top and bottom of the screen. But the commercials in the hd broadcast were in hd resolution).For "The End of Time", the hd broadcasts looked barely better than the non-hd broadcasts. The hd broadcasts had all kinds of annoying artifacts like the "staircase effect" on diagonal (or curved) contrasting sharp edges. If this episode was indeed originally filmed in hd resolution, it looked like it was largely treated as an "afterthought".Comparing these to Matt Smith era episodes in hd resolution, it was like seeing the difference between night and day.
I'm curious how/where you recorded these?I have the Blu Rays, and these look terrific. If you recorded broadcast versions, it may be the fault of the station - they might not have used the HD masters.

jcroy

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
jr
David Weicker said:
I'm curious how/where you recorded these?I have the Blu Rays, and these look terrific. If you recorded broadcast versions, it may be the fault of the station - they might not have used the HD masters.
Recorded from the "Space" cable channel during the Doctor Who marathon on Dec 24 and 25, using a DVR.

Dec 24 -> early Dec 25 were mostly reruns of previous xmas specials.

The remainder of the Dec 25 marathon were reruns from the second part of season 7, 50th anniversary special, and "The Time of The Doctor". These Matt Smith era episodes were definitely in hd quality.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Garysb said:
I noticed that the BBC has released individual series sets of the first 4 series on blu ray in the UK. These were released 8/31/15. Is there any word if these are region free ?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Doctor-Who-The-Complete-First-Series-Blu-ray/dp/B013WN2MC0?SubscriptionId=AKIAIY4YSQJMFDJATNBA&tag=bluraycom-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B013WN2MC0&m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE
Here's what I can find. The new individual UK Season sets are pitch corrected 1080/24p conversions and region free.

I have read confusing reports of whether the extras on these sets are PAL encoded {EDIT -- read below but almost 100% these are PAL) . I think they are NTSC and these discs are pretty much the same as the discs that were released in the US Complete 1-7 Giftset.

If you are interested bbcshop.com (UK site) has the sets for £11.90 ea and a promo code 10off30 will take another 10% off. It will cost £13.5+ shipping but
that still is a little over $85 for all 4 sets depending on if you have a For. Currency Free CC.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I'd really like to upgrade my US DVDs of 1-4, but I'm undecided on which way to go. The Blu-rays are just upscales, so they're not true HD, and if they play at 24p, that means they've likely been slowed down from the original 25fps, so that's not necessarily ideal. I now have the ability to play native PAL content. So I'm wondering if the regular UK DVDs upscaled via an Oppo and playing at their native frame rate will look equal to or better than the upconverted Blu-rays that potentially play at the wrong speed.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
David Norman said:
Here's what I can find. The new individual UK Season sets are 1080/24p and region free. I have read confusing reports of whether the extras on these sets
are PAL or NTSC encoded. I think they are NTSC and these discs are pretty much the same as the discs that were released in the US Complete 1-7 Giftset.

If you are interested bbcshop.com (UK site) has the sets for £11.90 ea and a promo code 10off30 will take another 10% off. It will cost £13.5+ shipping but
that still is a little over $85 for all 4 sets depending on if you have a For. Currency Free CC.
Thanks for the information. I knew about the BBC Shop price but did not know about the coupon so thank you very much for that. The coupon has to be typed all in caps ie 10OFF30 to be recognized, in case anyone else orders something from BBC Shop. Shipping is expensive but the coupon took £ 4.76 off the price so that helps. Price came to £56.38 shipped to the US. If ordered from Amazon UK it currently would be

£ 71.05 shipped to US Thanks again.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
OK, I went back and reread all the threads I can find especially from someone in the US who just got all 4 new S1-4 individual sets.

Region Free is definite
Extras which are SD are PAL and you'll need a converting player to watch those.

First impressions comparing to the old US DVD season sets show definite improvement in Video and Audio across the board.
Pitch corrected for the 4% slowdown in video conversion to 24Hz from the original 50Hz material. Apparently better detail, contrast,color saturation,
less compression artifacts, and even most of the SD PAL./NTSC conversion errors are mostly eliminated. Basically all the things that make BD better than
DVD are on display and even overall detail has improved upscaling from 576/50 to 1080/24 rather than downscaling to 480p/60.
Years of technical improvements in upscaling.

I still haven't read any direct comparison of the 1080p BD to the UK PAL DVD, but I suspect most of the improvemenst other than absolute speed will
still be noted.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
David Norman said:
I still haven't read any direct comparison of the 1080p BD to the UK PAL DVD, but I suspect most of the improvemenst other than absolute speed will
still be noted.

I wish I could just borrow copies from someone - there are times when I miss old fashioned video stores (not that one would necessarily have a US Blu-ray and a UK DVD available for comparison, but let me daydream). I don't really want to buy both versions to do an A-B comparison myself, especially because these are my least favorite of the reboot series (I'm much more of a Moffet/Smith guy than a Davies/Tennant guy).

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member
Josh Steinberg said:
I'd really like to upgrade my US DVDs of 1-4, but I'm undecided on which way to go. The Blu-rays are just upscales, so they're not true HD, and if they play at 24p, that means they've likely been slowed down from the original 25fps, so that's not necessarily ideal. I now have the ability to play native PAL content. So I'm wondering if the regular UK DVDs upscaled via an Oppo and playing at their native frame rate will look equal to or better than the upconverted Blu-rays that potentially play at the wrong speed.

I hang out on some UK message boards, and the consensus over there is that if you can get past the 24p slowdown (the audio is pitch-corrected, but those who notice such things--like me--will still know the music sounds like it's in a different key), not only does the video look better (particularly on-screen captions, which were re-done), but the really big improvement was in the sound.

I, personally, think the PAL DVDs look just fine with an Oppo outputting native PAL signal and a compatible TV, but that's just me. As these aren't true HD and I don't have a 5.1 sound system, I don't know that it would be that worthwhile for me to upgrade.

For those on a budget, these were also released in Italy, and I think the Italian version of Series 1 is going quite cheap at the moment.

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Very good price on Series 1 from Italy 11.90EUR, but I don't think 2/3/4 have been released in Italy yet.
It'd be about $24shipped for just the single however. Italy is great to order from if you have multiple sets since
ea added item is only $1 extra and express shipping is a flat $2-3 extra, but the first item is $11-12 to ship

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks