What's new

Doctor Who on Sci-Fi - ongoing thread (merged) (1 Viewer)

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
I think of these things alot when it comes to Time Travel episodes/stories. I don't mind them, (I know some folks do). But especially when they have some kinda control on the time travel, I always think they should think of going back when probs develop. Like in Time After Time, when Wells sees the mistakes he made which lead Jack to him and Amy, he coulda just gone back and do things different, so he doesn't find them.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
That's a weak excuse. If you can't either come up with a good in-story reason why the characters can't, or come up with a clever way to make that sort of thing work, you shouldn't be writing a time-travel story.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
They do deal with it in an upcoming episode and the Doctor explains reasons several times to Rose. If you havent seen series one, you will see this as the series progresses.
If you could undo every mistake in a movie or TV show that has time travel as a plot like it would be 15 minutes. There I undid it. End of story.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Jason, also the fact they don't use what I mention makes character's seem unrealistically stupid. Wells is brilliant and builds a time machine, but realizes talking to Amy, getting the info on Jack from her at the bank put her in danger. He should be smart enough to think he could go back a couple days, he already knows where to find Jack, so he doesn't have to get Amy involved this time around.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, yeah. That's why writing a good time travel story is hard, and why you need to have well-defined limits on what you can do. So far, Doctor Who hasn't really exhibited those, and it is something that should be explained within the story.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member

I loved them. For those who don't know much about Wales (most of you I guess) for years Cardiff has been the butt of English jokes about being this boring place where it permanently rains and everyone is obsessed with rugby and close harmony singing. This is so wide of the mark it's ridiculous. Cardiff is a modern city and the renovation programme really has lifted the place up. We have the Millennium Stadium, a magnificent new opera house, the biggest arts prize on the planet, etc, etc. Plus, it's still a cheaper place to live than London by a huge margin.

So the jokes about Cardiff and modernisation are very funny if you live in the area and also poke fun at English conceptions of the place.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Ahhhh. Thanks for explaining. I didn't get those while watching them.
I think it looks like a Beautiful city.

BridgetJZ

Second Unit
seanOhara - Wow. I had no idea. Awesome. I'm definately looking forward to the rest of the season now (as if i wasn't before).

Friday's episode was good. Lots of action, very intriguing.

The time travel concept is interesting, and you guys have definately made some interesting arguements, but it seems as though the writers have made it a little bit more difficult than "let's just go back in time and fix it"

Its kind of like the Butterfly Effect concept, everytime you go back in time and fix something, you're affecting a lot of lives.

Am i wrong?

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
This week's episode was actually pretty good if you take the WTF? element out of the equation. They took what could be a somewhat legitimately interesting concept and blew it out over the top... yes, I'm talking about the farting aliens. I've got a pretty good handle on the cheese factor of the show, but the farting aliens put a bit of a damper on my enjoyment of this ep. It was fantastic that they got Penelope Wilton to play the low-level MP. She immediately elevates anything she's in.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
You know, Doctor Who started life in the BBC's children's programming department.

Besides, farting's funny and we shouldn't pretend otherwise. :)

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I just got on board with this show. I'm hooked now. I really like this Doctor for some reason. I thought the way the ended the show friday night was in classic Who style.

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
I liked Fridays episode minus the farting. I don't remember the original Dr Who series trying to be so obviously juvenille.

An interesting story with a classic Dr Who cliff hanger.

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
I liked this episode a lot more than the previous one. I didn't even mind the farting that much. Sure, a little juvenile, but not terribly distracting.

I liked the topics - Mickey being accused of murder, the faked 'crash landing', etc.

And while I understand this is an English show, I hope Dr. Who actually leaves Earth a few times for adventure.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks