What's new

Doctor Who on Sci-Fi - ongoing thread (merged) (1 Viewer)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
He seems a bit defensive anyway Andrew. If it hadn't been you, it would have been someone else.
While Star Trek TNG was a good show that could be started over (to an extent) since the Original was only on three years; Doctor Who has been on for almost 40. Not the same.
I think Russel is doing a fine job, except for Farting Aliens

which I loathed.

Jeffery_H

Supporting Actor

Not a problem Andrew. I simply wanted to point out the facts of the entire statement. One can twist or take anything out of context and make an inferrence when exact wording is very important. No ploblems though, just that some are taking this WAY to seriously like they have some sort of personal stake in it. Not yourself, just some posts that I have seen on this site. Personally I really don't care for it or the style and pacing. Others may, especially in the UK. I just share a lot of the same opinions that other reviews of the show have had, no big deal if others don't agree.

Besides, I can't get over the fact that Piper has nice teeth and smile. I thought all you Brits never had much use for a Dentist. :D Just kidding of course, from your fellow chum accross the waters. :)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

Aha! I had no idea that Billie Piper was a singer. The use of the song was funny on its own, but this definitely adds a new angle. :D

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

I have just two words for you: Episode Six.

Come back and revisit that statment in three more weeks and see if your opinion has changed.

Andrew Beacom

Supporting Actor
This was enjoyable and the guy playing Dickens stole the show. I'm enjoying Rose's character more than the Dr so far but that seems to be a deliberate move from the writers.

It's refreshing to have a Dr with a dark edge after stopping watching in my youth when Sylvester McCoy showed up. I think I prefer the previous episode End of the World, but both were better than the first.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
I've never been anywhere near Cardiff, but I thought they were pretty funny. :D

The guy who played Dickens was in the Al Pacino version of The Merchant Of Venice and a few other movies. His name escapes me, though. (I guess I could look it up in the review I wrote!)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
http://www.locusmag.com/2006/News/03...minations.html has the full list of Hugo and Campbell Awards Nominations. Among them are several Doctor Who episodes from Series One.

DRAMATIC PRESENTATION: SHORT FORM:

Battlestar Galactica: "Pegasus" (NBC Universal/British Sky Broadcasting; Directed by Michael Rymer; Written by Anne Cofell Saunders)

Doctor Who: "The Empty Child" & "The Doctor Dances" (BBC Wales/BBC1; Directed by James Hawes; Written by Steven Moffat)

Doctor Who: "Dalek" (BBC Wales/BBC1; Directed by Joe Ahearne; Written by Robert Shearman)

Doctor Who: "Father's Day" (BBC Wales/BBC1; Directed by Joe Ahearne; Written by Paul Cornell)

Jack-Jack Attack (Walt Disney Pictures/Pixar Animation; Written & Directed by Brad Bird)

Lucas Back in Anger (Reductio Ad Absurdum Productions; Directed by Phil Raines; Written by Phil Raines and Ian Sorensen)

Prix Victor Hugo Awards Ceremony (Opening Speech and Framing Device; Written and performed by Paul McAuley and Kim Newman; Directed by Mike & Debby Moir)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
"Doctor Who" Second Series Begins
Posted: Thursday March 30th, 2006 11:34pm
Source: The BBC

The new series of Doctor Who was officially launched at a press gathering in Cardiff on Tuesday, where it was announced the eagerly-awaited second series will bow over the Easter weekend on Saturday 15th April in the UK reports The BBC.

A three-minute reel of clips showcased the rest of the series - "The highlights included squid-like aliens The Ood, shiny, unison-marching Cybermen, huge airships hovering above London, an astonishing CGI werewolf and Rose and returning classic series companion Sarah-Jane Smith engaged in an amusingly bitchy stand-off".

Actor David Tennant confirmed that "We did go to a quarry which is a Doctor Who cliché but it's doubling for a cave actually so it's not strictly speaking, the usual Doctor Who quarry". He also confirmed the finale "Doomsday" will be a cliffhanger, whilst 'The Satan Pit' two-parter finally takes the pair to a different planet - "Basically they find a 'darkness' which doesn't seem to have an explanation and even The Doctor is stumped by what is under the planet".

Its also confirmed that Rose's boyfriend Mickey joins the TARDIS crew this year. Billie Piper says "At first I think Rose isn't that keen on the idea as she likes to keep her life separate. She wants The Doctor to herself because she's selfish like that. But Mickey this year really kind of comes into his own... He saves the day". Tennant added "He does but it's the Doctor who decides to let him on board as Rose is far from keen".

Finally, Camille Coduri AKA Rose's Mum Jackie, revealed she takes her first trip in the TARDIS in a forthcoming episode.

Hopefully the ratings will be good enough for Sci Fi to pick up series two as well.

Qui-Gon John

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Co
Last weeks episode, when they realized helping the others through the rift was a mistake, they coulda just gone back to the back, went back a few hours, and this time not helped the others thru the rift.

Speaking of that, I wonder at what rate Rose will age when she is travelling with the Dr. Because aside from her possibly aging, she could have all these adventures, for years, then return to the same point and just a moment later than when she left, and pick up her regular life from there. Whenever she got tired of the time travelling adventures.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I always wonder about that with Doctor Who. In the old show, it always seemed like the Doctor wasn't good enough at controlling the TARDIS to make those kind of micro-jumps - remember, he intended to go to 1860 Naples and ended up in 1869 Cardiff; pretty accurate in terms of the size of time and space, but not good for undoing one's mistakes. There might also be some sort of exclusion principle at work - that a person simply can't leave the TARDIS if it would put them within a certain distance of "themselves" - but I don't remember where I heard that. Of the three times the Doctor has met himself, I think at least were extraordinary circumstances, but the ability to regenerate may be why the Gallifreyans were able to become "Time Lords" - they could meet different selves in ways other species couldn't.

It also raises the question of how a species that has developed time travel can be wiped out to the point where the Doctor is the last of his kind, but I assume that will be part of the whole developing Time War story (the Daleks had time travel in the past, and they're just vicious, diabolical, and efficient enough to figure out a way).

As to companions aging, I seem to recall a lot of them not winding up where they left, or they would just skip the missing years. However, I think I read that Rose occasionally makes visits the "present" to keep in touch with her loved ones, so this problem won't be an issue whenever she finally leaves.

AlexF

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alex
In terms of meeting yourself or changing events that you took place in is dealt with numerous times over the course of the Doctor Who series.

in fact, that is dealt with in an upcoming episode in the new season 1... that episode was one of the ones nominated for a hugo...

BridgetJZ

Second Unit

This is an interesting thought. I guess we'll see as we approach the end of the season. I'd assume that maybe she'd come back at the same point in time that she left in (yeah! TARDIS)

I really liked last week's episode and for some reason, really enjoyed the very awkward dialogue between Roses character and the woman (forget her name, Margaret, maybe??)

Looking forward to a new episode tonight.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks