What's new

DOCTOR WHO: Genesis of the Daleks (1 Viewer)

tom_tagliente

Stunt Coordinator
I recommend to all fans of not only DOCTOR WHO, but science fiction alike, to purchase this awesome classic story of the Tom Baker years. Story #78 is loaded with a TARDIS-load of special features and commentaries. Interviews with Tom Baker, Elizabeth Sladen, Peter Miles, Dennis Chinnery, James Garbutt, Guy Siner, Michael Wisher, John Scott Martin, and many writers and crew members.

The only cast member not seen in the documentary is Ian Marter, who died in 1986 of a heart attack due to complications from Diabetes. He was 40 years old. He also died on his birthday, October 28, 1986. he is the only deceased cast member from this episode.

There is a 61 minute documentary called GENESIS OF A CLASSIC and this DVD is a 2-disc set. The six part story on the first, and the commentaries and documentaries, including BLUE PETER, a short, on the second.

$29.99 at Best Buy. Great Price...AWESOME story finally on DVD from the BBC for DOCTOR WHO. Chalk this winner up to great transfers, a solid story, and superb acting.

This episode is the first in which the viewer meets DAVROS, the leader of the KALED Scientific Elite, and the man responsible for creating the DALEKS. According to the documentary, DAVROS (as well as the other actors playing DALEKS were in bicycle seats under the costumes and pedaled around to move from one place to another. DAVROS is only seen as human from the waist up. From there down he is part DALEK.

BEST LINE:

Doctor Who: Let's go.
Harry: Where to now?
Doctor Who: (pointing) Forward!

A must own for ALL true DOCTOR WHO fans, and those who are not.

NOTE: The TARDIS is not seen in this episode at all because the Time Lords interrupted its transmat beam and put the Doctor, Harry, and Sarah on Skaro. Once they complete the instruction of the Time Lord, impede or destroy the DALEKS creation altogether, they can use the Time Ring given them by the Time Lord, and return to the TARDIS, but not before.

* * * * * out of * * * * *

Chucky P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Charles Paulsen
I will probably pick this episode up soon as I am just getting back into Doctor Who. I got "City Of Death" for my birthday last month so I have decided to only buy the Tom Baker episodes (my favorite Doctor from watching PBS so many years ago) and I thought this would be a good place to start.

Lenny Rakes

Stunt Coordinator

If you have not yet seen Inferno, give it a try when it comes out on DVD. I know it is not Baker, but it is one of Pertwee's best . After Inferno, it was all downhill for the rest of the Jon Pertwee years.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I have'nt seen too many of the Pertwee year's but I've seen a few I'm not sure why you's say it was downhill, his series seemed it was fairly good. Is it because alot of his adventures were Earthbound?

Jonathan Kaye

Second Unit
Real Name
Jonathan Kaye

Sadly, this last sentence is not true; Michael Wisher, the original and best Davros, died from a heart attack in 1995.

Lenny Rakes

Stunt Coordinator

No! Mainly due to censorship of the time, they were forced to tone down the violence on the show which rob the Pertwee years of its earlier first season cutting edge. If you do not believe me, watch the first season episodes, then watch episodes from the following seasons you will notice a drop in quality. Also, when they started making U.N.I.T more of a family and less of a crack military squad it really made the show more kid friendly.

[edit]-I mean the first seasons with Jon Pertwee as the Doctor.[/edit]

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Got Genesis during the last DDD sale, was under $20, great buy for a great episode. Extras are excellent.

Fantastic story.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

No, you're wrong. It was not censorship, it was the fact that Barry Letts was in charge. Although he was the named producer for all but the first story in season 7, that whole season had been commissioned and planned-out by outgoing producer Derrick Sherwin before Letts was hired. Letts has even said so in interviews: season 7 was pretty much Derrick Sherwin's baby. Letts was just overseeing it.

Season 8 is where Letts made his mark and set his own style. Out went the quasi-Quartermass style, out went Caroline John (as he felt the Doctor needed a more dim-witted companion so he'd have someone to explain everything to).

If you want to blame someone for the "cosyness" of the remainder of Pertwee's run, don't blame the BBC. Blame Barry Letts.

Chucky P

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Charles Paulsen
I picked up Pyramids of Mars last week and watched it today and I thought it was excellent. I look forward to picking up the other recommended titles.

Howard Glenn

Stunt Coordinator

Michael Wisher's talents were a wonderful addition to Doctor Who, not only in Genesis of the Daleks, but in some of the other stories he appeared in as well...I've always enjoyed his performance as Kalik in Carnival of Monsters.

It should be noted that although he is no longer with us, he does appear in the documnetary, thanks to the inclusion of a pervious interview.

Howard Glenn

Stunt Coordinator

I'm afraid I have to strongly disagree with you. Inferno is a wonderful episode, and I'm truly looking forward to seeing it out on dvd in a couple weeks. However, Inferno was the final story of Season 7, concluding only the first of five seasons with Jon Pertwee as the Doctor. Mr. Pertwee's performances as the Doctor were first rate, even in situations where the show reached new heights of siliness.

Currently there are only five out of the twenty-four episodes Jon Pertwee appeared in on dvd, with Inferno soon to be the sixth. Seasons Eight through welve introduced us to some of my favorite characters, including the Draconians, the Ogrons, Omega, The Sontarans, K'Anpo and of course Sarah Jane Smith. Thankfully, the release rate is about to pick-up, as it's painful waiting for so many great stories to come out on dvd.

Mark Lx

Second Unit
Never seen a bad Pertwee. I've seen them all (possibly not Monster of Peladon, can't remember). A lot of very well written stories after season 7, including Carnival Monsters, Green Death and Invasion of the Dinosaurs. Planet of the Daleks is quite good, the sequel to "The Daleks" in my opinion.

For the record, there are many terrible stories in Tom Baker's time, not his fault, he is the most entertaining actor to play the role.

Never been a big fan of Genesis or Davros stories. I understand the appeal though. I don't like post-60s Dalek stories in general. The original Nation and Whittaker stories were so good.

JeremyErwin

Senior HTF Member
but invasion of the dinosaurs was overshadowed by particularly nasty special effects. I found the Master to be overused during the Pertwee era, but Frontier in Space was decent.

Howard Glenn

Stunt Coordinator

Believe it or not...that was the word "eleven" I was trying to type...guess I get a little too excited when talking about the Doctor!

Howard Glenn

Stunt Coordinator

The Master certainly was overused...and in a sense also underused, as it would have been nice to have less stories using his character, and stronger stories in the episodes he did appear in. However, Roger Delgado was great in the role, and I'll be the last person to complain about any of his stories coming out on DVD.

Invasion of the Dinosaurs is one of the prime examples of how nice it would have been to have the use of more realistic special effects during much of the classic series run.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks