What's new

Doctor Who: "Genesis of the Daleks" and "Inferno" on their way (1 Viewer)

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
I Felt in a Doctor Who Mood today when I went to Best Buy So I picked Up Pertwee's Claws of Axos and Baker's Leisure Hive. It was an Impulse they were priced way too much. I figure I might start picking up some eps here and there. But i'll do it online for a better Deal. Any chance we'd ever get a season Set? I probably doubt it given the cost of restoration. Anyone else collecting these as their released?

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

Not me. I bought a few of them upon release because of wanting to see the extras. Many of them, though, I put off to either put on my Christmas list or to order in the annual DDD 20% off sale.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Andy I'll probably pick up a few on DDD next 20% off sale as they have the Best price on them. There's no was I could swing the Mega Set but we can all dream. I'll grab the ones I like best first.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Sweet mother of god! You couldnt come up with two more ugly covers if you TRIED!

Cick for the horror

And I like Steve Roberts observation:
Is it just me, or has the 'Genesis' cover designer completely missed the point?

"Do I have the right? Just touch these two wires together and... OH BUGGER!"

MattSav

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Matt
The North American DVD covers (esp. the two most recent) are horrid. I started my Who on DVD collection a few years back by buying what was available in region 1. I then went multi-region and picked up a number of region 4 and then region 2 releases. So all of my spines didn't match.

Rob White's Chameleon Circuit website has excellent alternative artwork that you can print out (just do a google search for the website). And now all my varying region spines all line up!

Howard Glenn

Stunt Coordinator

I don't despise the covers that much, bit it does make you wonder who's in charge of these unimaginative, and more importantly poor resolution images.

At this point I can only say; exterminate! exterminate!

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member

Actually I prefer The Velvet Jacket - if I had to use other DVD covers. (I've been mostly happy with the R2 covers thusfar). But then color me weird, I kind of like the Roundels.

DonHearth

Grip
Anyone want to suggest a good first tile (currently on DVD) for a newbie to watch to get into Dr Who? The only Dr Who that I have ever seen was the Fox Movie made 4-5 years ago, and I liked it.

Thanks!
Don

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Well, I would probably shoot for a sampling of episodes from accross the whole run. The 7th Doctor is as far removed from the 1th as you can get, so if you don't like one, you might like the other.

I'd probably start somewhere with the 4th Doctor - the one with the scarf that most folks in the US know. Pyramids of Mars is considered a real classic by many fans. After that perhaps City of Death, written by Douglas Adams (yes, THAT Douglas Adams), which shows off Baker at the pinnical of his powers.

If you like older televsion, you might try The Beginning boxed set coming out in a couple of months - covering the first 13 (or so) episodes of the series. Shows from the 60's tend to move a bit slower, but the story telling is usualy top notch. Other than that, I might go with The Aztecs - a fine historical setting story, with some great acting from the supporting cast.

From the end of the shows run, I'd suggest Caves of Androzoni, another fan favorite from the pen of one of THE best writers of the show. That or I'd go with Daleks and get Rememberance of the Daleks - a little bit continuity heavy, but a fun adventure nontheless.

Oh - and do yourself a favor and grab the 2005 series when the box set comes out next week (or July). A touch expensive, but top flight stuff.

AndyMcKinney

Senior HTF Member

If you're thinking Daleks, I think Resurrection of the Daleks would probably make a much better choice for someone who isn't a fan and doesn't know all the continuity. Also, although a great story, Androzani might not be the best place to start, mainly because of the ending and how it ties into series continuity.

Earthshock might make a good first-time title, too.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
The problem with watching Pyramids first is that every other Who will probably be a disappointment after it.

The best of the rest, IMHO, are:

The Robots of Death
The Caves of Androzani
The Talons of Weng-Chiang
Revelation of the Daleks
Resurrection of the Daleks
City of Death

You really can't go wrong with any of those. Of course, I think that the TV Movie is unmitigated shite, so what do I know? :)

seanOhara

Supporting Actor

Although the ending might give an unrealistic impression of the tone of the series.

Of the episodes on DVD, I'd go with The Ark in Space, Genesis of the Daleks, or The Curse of Fenric (though I know I'm probably alone on Fenric).

Lenny Rakes

Stunt Coordinator

I do not know if all of these episodes are on DVD, but these are my top 10 favorites.

William Hartnell
"The Daleks"
"The Dalek Invasion of Earth"

Patrick Troughton
"Tomb of The Cybermen"
"War Games"

Jon Pertwee
"Spearhead From Space"
"Inferno"

Tom Baker
"Pyramids of Mars"
"The Talons of Weng-Chang"

Peter Davison
"The Black Orchid"
"The Caves of Androzani"

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Most of the one syou mention are on DVD. The Daleks is out, or will be out soon, as part of The Beginning box set, obviously Inferno will be out soon since that is what this thread is about. Other than that, the only stories you list not on DVD are The War Games and Black Orchid.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Hah! got you all beat - my first (television) exposure was The Invisible Enemy (shudder).

(But my first was the US novel edition of Day of the Daleks, so I didnt jump into the shallow end head first like it appears)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks