What's new

Doctor Who '05 - perhaps October? (1 Viewer)

Actually the first time the Doctor worked with UNIT was the episode The Invasion, a second Doctor story.

The reason this series is called the first series is because BBC Wales is doing the production, so for their documentation purposes there was no season 1-26, of course the originals were done by the BBC in London.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
OK, I just saw a bit about the new Dr (special that was run before the first episode) and it shows a clip where he is looking in the mirror and commenting about his "new" looks, so he must have just regenerated, so I now go with he is supposed to be the 9th...

Now I just wish they move away from Earth and get some episodes elsewhere in the Universe....

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Hola folks -

I thought you might like to get a peek at the 3rd volume of the new Doctor Who. Still no word on a US release (or broadcast for that matter), but right on the heels of the end of the first, the BBC did just renew the show for a 3rd season. Here's hoping.

Michael Sliger

Second Unit
Actually, there is news about a Region 1 DVD release of the new series. BBC Worldwide Americas currently is leaving their November schedule slot open for a possible boxset release of all 13 episodes here, but they will only do that if a network quickly grabs the broadcast rights. There is a chance that the DVDs will be released by February 2006 regardless of the broadcasting situation, but that decision will not be rushed.

http://home.comcast.net/~smanfred/Latest.html

Michael Sliger

Second Unit
It isn't Warner's call on the Canada situation or on virtually anything else here. BBC Worldwide Americas makes all of the decisions in regards to how the BBC Video titles are handled. WHV just does the distribution work.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Trust me i thought of a Canada release. Even went to Amazon. CA to see if i could find it on DVD. Damn them for outsmarting me!

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I live in the U.S. Was lucky to see these but, I wish others could see just how good this new show is. I am not trying to rub it in but boy is this show good!

Andre Bijelic

Stunt Coordinator
The show is co-produced by the CBC in addition to the BBC, so it's possible that there will be an exclusive Canadian release.

Michael Sliger

Second Unit
No, this season was not a co-production with any other network. The BBC looked around for a few years to see if they could find a foreign network to share the costs, but never found one. BBC Wales is the only group given any production credit on the episodes themselves. CBC, ABC (Austraila), PrimeTV (New Zealand), and KBS (South Korea) simply purchased the broadcast rights for their countries from BBC Worldwide. In any case, BBC Worldwide Americas has stated that they hold the exclusive rights to a Region 1 DVD release of the series and that there will not be a Canadian-only release.

Howard Glenn

Stunt Coordinator
Okay...this Doctor Who talk is killing me...just killing me!

I've long since given up on seeing the new episodes broadcast here in the U.S. anytime between now and the sun exploding...but please please please...GIVE US THE DVD'S IN A TIMELY FASHION!

For anyone that's interetsed, the official BBC website has the new Doctor's regeneration sequence available to view from the season finale...what a terrible tease!

Howie

Howard Glenn

Stunt Coordinator

Hi Misha,

The BBC download is relatively brief and shows what everyone knows is inevitable without providing any plot points for the episode. The moment it was announced David Tennant would replace Christopher Eccleston it was inevitable that the Doctor would be regenerating.

It's very frustrating for the huge fan base here in the U.S. to have to wait so long to see these episodes...some things never change. :frowning:

Howie

Britton

Screenwriter

More like... Fantastic! ;)

I just hope that David Tennant works as well with Billie Piper as Christopher Eccleston did.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
Reported by Radio Times yesterday:

All thirteen episodes of Series One on the forthcoming Doctor Who Series One Boxed Set DVD release in the UK in November will feature commentaries. The commentary for "The Unquiet Dead" will be by Mark Gatiss, Simon Callow and Euros Lynn; other commentaries as noted in the latest issue of Doctor Who Magazine will include Russell T. Davies, Julie Gardner and Phil Collinson, although more specific details are not yet available.

DVD extras will include "Russell T. Davies' video diary of the first week of filming" and "Billie Piper's own camcorder footage". "Episode-specific featurettes" will include "Deconstructing Big Ben", "Destroying the Lair", "Blitzing London", "Designing Doctor Who" and "Building the Emperor Dalek". The DVD-exclusive episode of Doctor Who Confidential will appear on the fifth disc and will include a "sneak preview" of Series Two alongside highlights of the first series of Confidential.

Tony J Case

Senior HTF Member
From Doctor Who Monthly, the commentaries have been recorded for the forthcoming Doctor Who Series One Box Set due out in November. DWM notes the following commentaries have been recorded for each of the 13 episodes (noting that one, "The Long Game" had not yet been recorded at press time):

* Rose - Exec producers Russell T Davies and Julie Gardner, producer Phil Collinson
* The End of the World - Collinson, Will Cohen (visual effects)
* The Unquiet Dead - Mark Gatiss (writer), Euros Lyn (director), Simon Callow (Charles Dickens)
* Aliens of London - Gardner, Cohen, David Verrey (Joseph Green)
* World War Three - Collinson, Helen Raynor (script editor), Annette Badland (Margaret Blaine)
* Dalek - Rob Shearman (writer), Dave Houghton (VFX producer), Nicholas Briggs (Dalek voices), Bruno Langley (Adam)
* The Long Game - Langley, Brian Grant (director), Christine Adams (Cathica)
* Father's Day - Paul Cornell (writer), Billie Piper (Rose), Shaun Dingwall (Pete), Collinson
* The Empty Child and The Doctor Dances - Steven Moffat (writer), John Barrowman (Jack), Houghton
* Boom Town - Collinson, Barrowman, Badland
* Bad Wolf - Davies, Gardner, Collinson
* The Parting of the Ways - Barrowman, Gardner, Piper

Pity - no Chris for the set. Terrably disappointing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks