What's new

Do you re-use your 3D glasses? (1 Viewer)

cortlimi

Auditioning
Real Name
Lisa Cortes
All of this sucks for my family. Our daughter is blind in one eye. She has no benefit from 3D... she requires the glasses because the way it is projected requires it, even if you only look with one eye. We also refuse the glasses at the counter because re-use is the best plan for the planet (if I take the same glasses to every 3d movie I see at the theater I always go to, I make less waste in landfill or less work to clean/repackage... My daughter (in order to be with her family at the movie) must pay for the extra 3d cost. Granted, we pay for the ticket...we want her with us. Regardless, the system is flawed. Even if it is only the marketing.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Jason Charlton said:
From what I understand, converting an existing theater to 3D is cheaper if you go with Dolby 3D as it does not require the expense of replacing the screen.  The potential drawback is a greater likelihood of the image brightness and colors being off a slight bit, but I have no firsthand experience with this format - I've only seen RealD.
I, too, am curious to see if the 3D at home trend results in some sort of format war.  For any LCD, Plasma, or other direct-view 3D option it seems as though active shutter glasses are the only likely solution in the near term.  So it remains to be seen if glasses made for a Samsung TV will work with a Panasonic set and vice versa.
I am also curious to see if there is any likelihood of a RealD or Dolby 3D solution for the home front projector market.  $150 for a pair of active shutter glasses is really pushing it... $600 for a family of 4 to watch a 3D movie... ouch!  No more Superbowl parties at my place!  Now, incorporate the passive systems for front projection, and get $5 glasses, now you're talking!
The Real
The RealD glasses will work with passive 3D tv sets (mostly LG, Vizio, and entry level Panasonic LED 3D sets).
Passive 3D sets have a more consistently good 3D effect with less flicker, ghosting, etc. than active sets, but at a reduction from 1080 to 540 resolution, and are generally brighter. Keeping the RealD glasses from a trip to the theater is a cheap way of obtaining enough glasses for a family or for groups if you have a passive 3D set. Active glasses cost $20 a pair for those made by Samsung, which will also work with Panasonic and Sharp active sets (2012 models only), but not Sony 3D sets. Sharp, Panasonic, and Sony make active glasses cost around $60 a pair.
Sharp's active glasses are unique in that they have a switch that turns off the 3D effect for people who are disturbed by the effect, while others can watch in 3D simultaneously.
I sell tvs and out here in the real world passive sets are a very viable solution for those who value the quality of the 3D effect and are willing to accept the lower resolution, and those with large families who balk at the price of active glasses.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks