What's new

Do you re-arrange Widescreen/Fullscreen DVD's on the shelf? (1 Viewer)

C

Chris*Liberti

I even go a step further. If they have room under the shelves (where a lot of stores store extra copies of movies that do not fit on the shelf) I actually put the fullscreen discs down here if I can without getting spotted

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
I got more than my share of arranging stuff like that when I worked at Circuit City. If I were to go in there and assume that role again I just might flash back into thinking Divx is a good idea or something :b

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
If I ever caught you doing that in a store I ran, I'd call the cops on you. That's called public mischief.

No, I can't do it. I just can't say what I really think about that. I'd get kicked off HTF for sure.

Rearranging a display is "public mischief"?? Oh, God, please stop! Oh, this hurts!

I guess that those people who pick up an item, decide that they don't want it, are too lazy to put it back in its place, and just leave it in another isle deserve the death penalty then.

{ wiping tears away, holding sides now painful from laughing }

Okay, I'll stop now...

{ giggle }

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
If I ever caught you doing that in a store I ran, I'd call the cops on you. That's called public mischief. Live your own lives, and stop trying to foist your own holier-than-thou opinions on other people. Of course widescreen is better, but that doesn't make you better. Get over yourselves!
If this was true, then everytime someone picked up a DVD that wasn't in the front of the rack, looked at it, and put it back, then they would be guilty too. Speaking of holier-than-thou and getting over yourself:

"Kettle, it's for you. Guy by the name of Pot, says you're black."

:D

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
What you zelouts need to do (and I'm one of you) is print out those little WS tutorial papers from the WS.org website in my signature and leave copies on the store shelves or by the counter (many store managers are cool with this if you ask).

Might as well help educate the masses!

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Let's say I'm the manager of BestMartCo. I'm strolling around my store and I glance at the DVD rack. I see that all the copies of Major New Release are widescreen. "Uh oh," I think to myself, "I'd better order more fullscreen!" I order more fullscreen, and the store manager (not to mention the studio) gets the impression that fullscreen is selling like hotcakes.

Would it happen like this? I dunno, but maybe you guys are working against yourselves.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
If your a manager, and you order more DVD's based on what you see on the shelf at first glance, without really investigating what's really there, then you don't have any business being a store manager.

JM2C.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
Joshua's got it. If you're selling DVDs and don't have an inventory list, let alone software that tracks your inventory, you shouldn't be running the store.

JoeyNelson

Grip
as someone who once worked at a video store for very little pay, this strikes me as really obnoxious. all you guys are doing is making more work for the person who's going to be stuck cleaning up after you. and that person aleady has stuff to do (and is earning close to minimum wage).

but i guess that's a fair price to pay to make sure the store sells a few more widescreen copies of malibu's most wanted!

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
all you guys are doing is making more work for the person who's going to be stuck cleaning up after you.
What does that mean? Explain "cleaning up"? It's not like the pan-and-scan versions are just being strewn over the floor. Otherwise, you've basically admitting that the company has a pro-pan-and-scan policy that needs to be corrected.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Otherwise, you've basically admitting that the company has a pro-pan-and-scan policy that needs to be corrected
I ran into a related example of strange but true corporate policies regarding how DVDs are arranged on the shelf. At my local Media Play the associates will not move the DVD of the film "Gandhi" from the documentary section to the drama section. When I asked I was told that they are required to place the DVD in the section marked on the DVD by their corporate bosses. Apparently some uninformed corporate person thinks that the DVD of the film "Gandhi" is a documentary not a movie. (The DVD does include a documentary as an extra) So the poor underpaid associate mentioned above is just following his marching orders, good, bad , or indifferent. ;)

DeeAnn

Grip
Not to take this too far OT but something similar happened a few years ago at a local rental chain (no longer in business). Pink Flamingos was misrated on the VHS spine store sticker as "G" and it kept getting filed in the "Family Comedy" section. Each time my husband and I saw it we'd walk it up to the counter and explain it's unrated and should be in the adult section or at least as an "R". This happened a few times, and we'd always find it filed back under "Family Comedy". One day we told the manager to take it home and watch it (I don't think he believed us). The next time we went in there it was filed correctly.

JoeyNelson

Grip
What does that mean? Explain "cleaning up"?
well as soon as the manager sees that someone has hid the p&s dvds behind the widescreen ones, an employee will have to go back and spend a significant amount of time rearranging them.

besides, i don't think tricking ignorant customers is really the best way to push widescreen.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
If your a manager, and you order more DVD's based on what you see on the shelf at first glance, without really investigating what's really there, then you don't have any business being a store manager.
Yes, and wouldn't it be nice everyone in the world did their job competently? There are definitely store managers out there who have no business being managers.

I'm just saying, it could happen.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
i don't think tricking ignorant customers is really the best way to push widescreen.
Tricking ignorant customers into thinking that there is no way to see a movie other than with a full TV screen is just as wrong, if not more so, yet apathetic (or perhaps just "pathetic") store managers do this all of the time.

You tell me which is worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rekhasharmatdiu
Recent bookmarks