What's new

Do you leave your satellite receiver on at all time? (1 Viewer)

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
All of my receivers are on all the time. Most of the time, I'm set on timer for recording so I have to leave it on but should I turn them off when I'm don't use it?

I leave my satellite receiver on all the time, except for when it rains. I have to turn it off in order to get my antenna signal.

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
David, that's interesting info on the turning off when it rain to get antenna signals. I'm trying to figure out as to why that would work. Can you share with us?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Even if you receiver is turned off, the timer will automatically turn it on. I've never heard of a model that didn't do that.
The only advantages to turning your receiver off is for software upgrades. There is some speculation that the Dishplayer defrags its hard drive right after turning it off but there hasn't been any proof that I have found.
I think David was stating two different facts. He turns his receiver off when it rains. I do the same thing during storms. And he turns it off to switch to OTA antenna. It sounds like he has a Dishplayer since it doesn't have a way to switch between satellite and antennae.

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
Robert, thanks for the clarification, but wouldn't turning the receiver off extend its life? And thanks for telling me that the receiver need not be on for the timer to work.

Bob Dycus

Grip
Even when you receiver is powered off, it is still on inside. Otherwise the remote control would not turn it back on. The only way to really power it off is to unplug it from the wall.
The advantage to turning it off at night is that software upgrades can download when they are available.

Luc

Stunt Coordinator
When we are talking about upgrades, are we talking about new channels being added,ect? I noticed that sometimes a new channel popped up or disappeared on my menu, a menu that I pick out all the channels that I watch. Also, occasionally, one of my receiver turns itself off. Any explanation?

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It is an actual software upgrade not just an updated guide. A new feature may be added to the receiver or it may just be a bug fix.

todbnla

Screenwriter
Real Name
Todd
Thats strange though, I don't ever recall that my unit has ever had a download in the year that I have had my Dish 4722, except for the increased monthly payment size :)
------------------
Regards,
Todd
Link Removed / E-Quip / DVD's

Don S

Stunt Coordinator
My 4 are on all the time.
------------------
Don
sopranos13.gif

David_LM

Stunt Coordinator
I turn both of my satellite receivers off every night, just like I do my computer and A/V receiver. Never had a problem with any of my electronic equipment.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks