What's new

Do you keep the DVD that came with your Blu-Ray? (1 Viewer)

Do you keep the DVD that came with your Blu-Ray?

• Yes

Votes: 54 74.0%
  • No, I give it to my friends

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • No, I give it to my family

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • No, I burn it so no one else has to suffer SD-quality!

Votes: 2 2.7%

• Total voters

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I often give them away to family members who have not gone Blu. It may not be hi-def, but it at least reflects my impeccable taste.

Gipsy

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
I don't see the need to keep the DVD,so i either sell them or give them to a friend.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yes, it stays in the case, not doing any harm. I don't think I could sell it for very much, no case or cover, it's not worth the effort, & I don't know anyone who want's DVD's. I don't know why they do it, if I'd wanted a DVD I'd have bought one. I think it's a passing fad.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
i'm frankly shocked at the # of people keeping DVDs! lolz

to me... high-def quality should be what we should striving for (especially on forums like this). you can get BD players for home in any room, portable in cars, small laptops, pretty much anywhere. you can even remove the 'need it for the minivan' because they make BD players for the cars now... replacing the old SD DVDs. guess people just dont want to put that much $ into EVERYTHING.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I've got quite a few DVDs that came in combo packs lying around, mostly collecting dust on various countertops. Why don't I keep them in the original case, you might ask. Well, many of those combo packs were eco cases, which I hate with a passion. I've converted many BD/DVD combo packs into singles using normal cases, so that leaves me with a bit of a storage problem for the extra discs. I don't trust binders so they're not an option. I'm considering giving them away for free to any member here within the vicinity of my location (New York City) who would like them and are able to pick them up in person in Manhattan. Many of them are Shout Factory titles.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
Konstantinos said:
Noone cares about movies, DVDs, Blurays from my family/friends.
Also, even if I don't want the DVD, I don't throw it away, because I want to have the release as I bought it, without anything taken out, or making a custom cover etc..

The thing I do is trying to find a release that doesn't have a DVD if that's possible.
Exactly....if I HAVE to buy the BD/DVD set, I keep the DVD so the set is complete but I always try to find a BD only version.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
I'll never get rid of my 2500 + DVDs. I have bookcases of movies covering two large walls. (grabs a DVD kisses it gently)

But alas it's my (nearly 1000) Blu-rays that get viewed most often.

atfree

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alex
JediFonger said:

to me... high-def quality should be what we should striving for (especially on forums like this). you can get BD players for home in any room, portable in cars, small laptops, pretty much anywhere. you can even remove the 'need it for the minivan' because they make BD players for the cars now... replacing the old SD DVDs. guess people just dont want to put that much $ into EVERYTHING.
I have 4 kids, 3 with Xbox 360's which they use for watching DVD's, my daughter has a dvd player. Plus we have a dual-monitor DVD for the car that mounts each screen to the headrest. 3 laptops which kids take on vacations, etc (only 1 has a BD drive). Our only BD player is in our living room with main TV/home theater system. So, we'd have to buy 4 new BD players, 3 new laptops (or replace DVD drives with BD drives), plus a new portable BD (with dual monitors) for the car to make ourselves "whole" in terms of converting from DVD to BD. My guesstimate is it would be over $1000 in costs.

Unfortunately, my kids could care less whether it's DVD, BD, or streaming as long as they can watch it wherever they want (yes, I have failed as a role-model).

DVD was (and still is) pervasive.....another reason BD has struggled in some ways.

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
Josh Steinberg said:
I don't think I could do it!

I can't even bring myself to take the Skyfall Blu-ray disc from the standalone release and put it in the slot in the Bond 50 set that says "place reserved for Skyfall" - because then I'd have an empty "Skyfall" Blu-ray case. And the disc art from the standalone Skyfall release doesn't match the Bond 50 disc art.

Yeah, I'm definitely too OCD to break up existing packages.
+1! I have this exact same issue! I've contemplated buying a second Skyfall BD to fill that gap but I figure that would just be crazy.

JediFonger said:

I've got BD players with all my TVs in the house however I still watch DVDs for various reasons (such as different transfers, sound options, titles not released on BD or titles released on BD that I have decided not to buy for some reason or another). I also like to "save" the best presentation for the home theatre screen. Plus my main television is a Pioneer Kuro and it makes standard definition look amazing.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I generally hang onto my DVDs, but I have a 19 year-old daughter who likes to pilfer certain titles. Since she's in college and a "starving student", I usually let it slip, but in some cases (where the DVD includes the Digital Copy), I won't let her have it until I've successfully uploaded the DC to my cloud drive.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I usually hang on to the DVDs, but if it a title that my young niece would like I give it to her.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Dale MA said:
+1! I have this exact same issue! I've contemplated buying a second Skyfall BD to fill that gap but I figure that would just be crazy.
Me too, and same conclusion!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks