What's new

Do you invariably associate a studio logo/theme with a particular movie? (1 Viewer)

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
At the beginning of Mr and Mrs Smith the other day, when the Regency Picture logo and theme showed up, I half expected (and actually hoped :D) it would be followed by the opening credits of The Negotiator, a movie I watched countless times in the late 90s (I lost the disc since), and one of my favorite actions flicks. More than the Negotiator, that simple studio theme brought back a flurry of memories of that time of my life (college).

I don't think I can ever see the Dimension Pictures name on screen without thinking of the Scream movies, and I don't even own any of them - nor did I love the movies, all of which I only screened once. Weird eh?

I wonder how common this phenomenon is. Do you associate studio logos/themes with specific films, or even experiences?

I am guessing that quite a few Star Wars fans secretly hope that one of their favorite movies will start after the fox logo :).

--
H

Justin W

Stunt Coordinator
yeah, star wars and the fox logo are married in my mind.

another one is the old miramax logo and pulp fiction.

and the orion logo and a number of great woody allen flicks.

James@R

Second Unit

Yep, first one I thought of as well. :)

What about the old "Cannon Group" logo? You see that thing slide across the screen, you pretty much know you're in for a winner. :D

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Universal = Jaws, The Birds
WB = 1970s Clint Eastwood flicks
UA = James Bond
Ladd Company = Blade Runner, Outland
Paramount = Indiana Jones
Fox (Cinemascope version) = Star Wars
Compass International = Halloween

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Ah yes, for me, it's Jurassic Park, possibly the most memorable theatrical experience I've had.

--
H

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
The STAR WARS one is certainly a given.

For Paramount, I always assume it's gonna be a STAR TREK film.

For Dreamworks, I assume it's gonna be a Steven Spielberg film.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
NewLine = Dark City. This was the first movie I saw from them and I thought the corporate sonic logo was part of the Dark City soundtrack. It perfectly fits the feel of Dark City. I still expect Dark City when I hear it.

Warner Bros = The Matrix. This was when I first saw modification of a corporate logo to fit the movie style. I always think of this when I see WB or other logos tweaked to fit a movie intro.

Fox = Star Wars, of course

Matthew Clayton

Stunt Coordinator
Universal - Serenity (new logo) or Jurassic Park (old logo)
WB - Harry Potter or Batman Begins (new logo), the previous four Batman films (old logo)
Fox - Star Wars
New Line Cinema - The Lord of the Rings
Disney - Any of Disney's animated films from the '90s
Pixar - Toy Story or The Incredibles
Dreamworks - Mousehunt or The Ring

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
My parents tell me that when I was little, every time I heard the Fox fanfare I would say or want to watch "Star Wars". Still when I hear the opening theme from Star Wars I half-expect to hear the Fox fanfare first.

Universal = The Mummy (remake)
DreamWorks = Shrek

Chris Minogue

Stunt Coordinator
Fox - Moulin Rouge.

Everytime I hear the logo theme and then Sound of Music does NOT follow, I get a little sad inside.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Paramount=Grease
MGM=The Wizard of Oz
Fox=Star Wars and The Sound of Music
Orion=Dances With Wolves
Walt Disney Pictures=Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs (re-release)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I associate the current Warner Brothers logo (with the "As Time Goes By" fanfare) with "Caddyshack 2". Ludicrous as that sounds, it was on HBO Comedy 2 years ago and I was expecting the logo Warner was using in 1988. Instead I see this logo and it's an indescribable feeling of definition (and definitely the only good part of the movie).

The current Warner Brothers Television logo (with the final 4 notes of "As Time Goes By") is associated in my mind with many Warner titles I've seen on TV in the past several years.

Here's a list of some of the Warner titles I've seen with that logo at the end:

-The aforementioned "Caddyshack 2"
-"Innerspace"
-"Moving"
-"The Witches Of Eastwick"
-"Empire Of The Sun"
-"Crossing Delancey"
-"Ace Ventura: Pet Detective"
-"The Last Starfighter" (A Universal release that Warner has the TV rights to)
-"Action Jackson"
-"Burglar"
-"Scooby-Doo And The Cyber Chase"
-"The Man Without A Face"
-"Sharky's Machine"
-"Batman"
-"Singles"
-"Singin' In The Rain" (The TCM Print)
-"Fallen"
-"Batman Returns"
-"The Fugitive"

The Warner logos just have this feel to them that says "This is who we are, for better or for worse".

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Another great thing about Warner Brothers.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
Anyone know why the Fox logo is silent sometimes, and why the fanfare stops early other times?

I miss the old TriStar fanfare with the leaping horse.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
There were 2 versions of the Fox fanfare: a standard version and an extended CinemaScope fanfare, to cover the "20th Century Fox Presents a CinemaScope Production" card that would fade in after the logo. In the 1970s and 1980s one could apparently choose which one they wanted to use. The short version wasn't rerecorded until the 1980s. Today's CGI version uses the extended version.

Mark Edward Heuck

Screenwriter

The original Fox fanfare as written by Alfred Newman was originally shorter than it is known to be today. What we generally associate with Fox is what is known as the "CinemaScope Extention," a longer version of the theme created for movies that Fox produced in their anamorphic CinemaScope process, with the "da-da-da-DAAA..." postscript playing underneath a title card that read "TWENTIETH CENTURY-FOX PRESENTS A CINEMASCOPE PICTURE."

By the early '70's, Fox had scrapped their logo music entirely for all practical purposes, except on special occasions like THE ROCKY HORROR PICTURE SHOW, and even then, they used the original short version of the theme. I could be wrong, but it may have been George Lucas who first brought back the "CinemaScope Extention" with STAR WARS, putting his "A Lucasfilm Presentation" card following the Fox logo.

And until the creation of the modern "News Corporation" CGI logo, Fox continued to have no pattern to muting or using the long or short version of the theme. After the new logo was created, every Fox movie regardless of format plays the full "CinemaScope Extension" theme.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation380
Recent bookmarks