What's new

do you *have* to get the closest parking spot? (1 Viewer)

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
I always park far away. Mainly for not getting dents, and secondly for fresh air and exercise. I'm stuck in front of this computer 8 hours a day, why should I be in a rush to get indoors again?
"I am better than you, thats why I park so far away (or so close."
Yeah... that's it.:rolleyes:

Mike D.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
That's ridiculous. I don't think either of them are trying to "say" anything, it's just a personal preference.
It's saying everything about the type of owner that person is. They are trying to be ultra protective of an object that when they leave the object is out of their control. My opinion is find a space and take it. Someone who purposely drives way out to the farthest reaches of the lot just to take that spot is just as bad as someone doing laps in the lot to find a spot as close as they can. If some of you are going to be annoyed with people doing laps you should be equally annoyed (or admit it is just as much as annoyance) with people who purposely park way out there. Each extreme has a goal in mind and they are equally annoying to the majority of people who just want to get there, park, and shop.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i disagree completely mike. it's all about percentages.

since most people want to park close, then the chances increase that they'll park next to you, then possibly ding the door.

if you park farther away, the chances increase that your car won't be damaged.
It's saying everything about the type of owner that person is.
all it's saying is that i care about my stuff and would like to take as good care of it as possible. it has *nothing* to do with me feeling like i'm superior.

tbh, i think your actions (parking close to me just to irritate me) says more about .... wait for it ... YOU! :D

no offense meant.... :)

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
It's saying everything about the type of owner that person is. They are trying to be ultra protective of an object that when they leave the object is out of their control. My opinion is find a space and take it. Someone who purposely drives way out to the farthest reaches of the lot just to take that spot is just as bad as someone doing laps in the lot to find a spot as close as they can. If some of you are going to be annoyed with people doing laps you should be equally annoyed (or admit it is just as much as annoyance) with people who purposely park way out there. Each extreme has a goal in mind and they are equally annoying to the majority of people who just want to get there, park, and shop.
Wow. Where does one begin? So what type of people do you think we are then? Do tell. Is it so wrong we want to keep something we paid for looking new? I don't think so. And it's not entirely out of our control... If there's a curb or medians in the lot, I'll park very close to the curb. This way, for anyone to dent me, they'd have to have 2 wheels completely over the line and in my spot. So there, I got control.

Also, how is taking the FAR spot out of the way? Did I park across the highway in some empty lot? Did I park across town? No, I parked in the lot designated for the place I'm visiting, I just choose to use the empty part of the lot. It's there for anyone to park in, so why should it annoy you? Why is it annoying to you when one takes pride in their car, and their health? Tell me. And have you checked with the majority of the people out there if they are annoyed as well?

Mike D.

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Your reasoning for parking far away may be to avoid dings but that is not how people see it. People see a car parked way out there as someone with a huge ego. They grab the farthest spot to say "Hey, this is my car. It is a work of art. Don't park near me because I'm not parking near you because I don't want to be near your car because I'm better than you and don't trust that you'll park normally. I fear you will purposely damage my car because my car is better than yours."

I just choose to use the empty part of the lot
And so did I, it just happened to be right next to you. Why do you think that you are so special that no one can park next to your car and why do you get annoyed when people do that? THAT is what I'm getting at.

Not meaning to ruffle feathers here, just hoping some of you see both sides. The close-ins and the far parkers. They have different goals in mind but both have pretty much the same personalities.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

Why is either of those things "bad"? It's just personal preference. I don't get why people are upset about either situation. What you're doing is just as silly as someone taking extra long to get out of a spot just because someone is waiting to pull in there, or pretending to pull out of or walk up to a close parking spot. You're causing unnecessary aggravation for your own childish amusement. Grow up and let people do what they want, as long as it doesn't hurt you. How a car parked far away or close to the store bothers you I don't know.

I pointed out that I don't understand WHY people necessarily want a close spot. I'm not about to tell them that's "wrong". Let people do what they want, and stop messing with them just because they do something else than what you're doing. Geez, I can't believe the mentality of some people here, who seem to do everything they can to piss off people that don't do exactly what they do.

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
Why do you think that you are so special that no one can park next to your car and why do you get annoyed when people do that? THAT is what I'm getting at.
Did I say I was special? Did I say I get annoyed when people park near me? I gave reasons why I park the way I do, you just fail to see them and have your own, demented vision. So be it.

Mike D.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Grow up and let people do what they want, as long as it doesn't hurt you.
It doesn't 'bother' me where people park or how long they decide to wait for a space. But I do find it amusing. I just like messing with people's minds sometimes. ;)

The only thing that does bother me are people who park in handicap spots who don't need to be there. Yeah, I understand some handicaps aren't outwardly noticeable. But if you are really handicapped, then get the darned sticker.

People who park in handicapped spaces when they aren't supposed to are the real people who 'think they are better than everyone else', not the far parkers or close-ins.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Well, it sort of does in that it implies that those who park in the closer spots are all a bunch of careless, insensitive, disrespectful Neanderthals who you don't trust to be able to park and enter/exit their vehicles without in some way damaging yours.

While there may be varying degrees of truth in that perception, it does imply a sense of superiority that you perceive a danger in commingling with the commoners and your car is valuable enough that it has to be separated from the riff-raff.

Not to fan the fire or anything. :D

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member
Geez, I can't believe the mentality of some people here, who seem to do everything they can to piss off people that don't do exactly what they do.
Man, its just a freakin' parking lot and car. The reason people do things like this is because they know it annoys other people. I find it hilarious when people get all bent out of shape for no good reason. Its like watching people at airports yell at people because their plane is delayed or they get the wrong kind of peanuts. It's a comic goldmine.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hmm...point well taken malcolm. i guess i can see how it could be perceived that way.

but, it's not what i'm (at least not consciously) thinking. i consider myself to be pretty non-judgemental.

i'm just playing the percentage game. the farther i am from other cars, the less likely i'll get hit. i would say that's pretty much a hard-fact.

finally, i'm still gonna do it my way...regardless of what others think. if people like mike want to think i'm being superior - so be it.

of course, it's hard to act superior in a 94 accord...can you imagine me if i ever get my porsche? :rolleyes

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, god knows there's just not enough tension and aggravation out there as it is, let's all do our best to piss other people off.

It's one thing to laugh at situations out of your control, or say you're annoyed with something. It's a whole different thing to do what you do, namely intentionally try and CAUSE those situations.

/Mike

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
i was so mad i did something i probably shouldn't have done, but we'll leave that topic alone
Oh, come on. Tell us! I would have kicked a nice big dent in the side of that door. I know, you're afraid to admit it because the PC vultures here will tell you what a horrible person you are, but let's face it: What goes around comes around. If someone so blatently damages my property like that, I'm going to return the favor tenfold.

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

See, I just can not grasp this mentality... how in the world does the fact that another person is waiting for your spot possibly in any way shape or form make your experience any worse? I'm not saying you should hurry because someone is waiting, but to take EXTRA time just seems really, really arrogant. And if you're saying that they're wrong because they hold up the traffic - well you're the reason they're holding it up longer than necessary, if you purposely delay your departure! If you were really concerned about traffic, you would of course speed up.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
ryan - well, you actually kind of nailed it. i did give it a pretty brutal kick...plus a little "gravy" on top. i'm not real proud of it anymore, but i was just so furious.
Now, if I've JUST climbed into my car, and someone else happens to be on their way by and stops to wait for my spot, that's fine.
so what is the time-difference between a hover and a "legit" wait? either way, wouldn't you just want to get going? just because the person is waiting for you, that only proves how stupid they are....but it doesn't mean you have to sink to their level. it only causes grief all the way around.

Users who are viewing this thread