What's new

Do you feel like the situation might be hopeless for your fave TV shows? (1 Viewer)

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I have no idea why Paramount hasn't released THE ODD COUPLE in season sets yet. It's my most wanted title.

Angela_K

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Angela
It might happen, but I'm afraid Wings will never be released on DVD :frowning:

DavidofLondon

Stunt Coordinator
The two shows I'd most like to see are

Man from U.N.C.L.E. (I wouldn't mind Ms. Powers in Girl from U.N.C.L.E. as well)

and

Batman (Adam West)

But from what I hear both are tied up in rights hell. Oh, well :frowning:

I wouldn't mind seeing

Gemini Man (Ben Murphy)
Invisible Man (David McCallum)

and

Friday the 13th (Robey)

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
I think Third Watch has too much irreplaceable and expensive music to ever make it to DVD. :frowning:

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Get Smart is mentioned a few times in this thread.

Just to be clear on something: I asked Paramount about this a while back, and they researched it and told me that they DO NOT own the rights to Get Smart, either personally or through one of the other Viacom holdings.

On the other hand, they offered no information about who does own those rights, and I haven't been able to find out on my own.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Well, yeah, I've grown pretty despondent over the dvd prospects and their avoidance of my favorites. I had pretty high hopes about a year ago. Initially it looked as though I might have one to two sets of interest per month looking at me. But, it just hasn't happened. It just doesn't look promising for someone like me who's primary interest is 50s/60s fare beyond the common iconic series that are already served up endlessly on TV-Land.

My biggest disappointment is that "The Fugitive" hasn't appeared. That's one I thought was at least possible. Others seem more of a long shot... "Route 66," "The Invaders," "Highway Patrol," "Ben Casey," "Run for Your Life," "Topper," "M Squad," "Laramie," "Mission: Impossible," "I Married Joan," "Tarzan," "Untouchables," and so many, many others. I'd thought at least maybe some smaller companies might try to jump on the bandwagon with a few lesser-known shows whose rights aren't tied up with the majors. But I really just haven't seen anything in the last six months or so to give me much optimism about any of this. I should never have gotten my hopes up.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
WKRP in Cincinnati (and for me, there's only 1 category of music - music that damned well better be original, complete and unedited or don't even bother).

CPO Sharkey

The Mary Tyler Moore Show (including redoing season 1 to replace the cut Christmas music that led me not to buy this).

Wiseguy - with the music restored that caused me not to buy this.

Who's Line is it Anyway?

The Beatles animated cartoon series

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate

I always thought it was Republic Pictures that owned the rights to Get Smart. I believe Paramount owns or is about to come into the rights of Republic Pictures. Certainly there is someone over at TV Land who would know who owns the rights to this show.

Paul Sandhu

Supporting Actor
I too am waiting for SeaQuest DSV, Amazing Stories and Young Indiana Jones.

LizH? What movie? I don't remember the series being released on DVD.

I also wouldn't mind seeing "Are you Afraid of the Dark?" on DVD. I think it ran for 7 or 8 seasons.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
I am all for the Spielberg Cartoons, but I'm also on the hopless bandwagon for "Ducktales" and "Darkwing Duck". I'd put "Gummi Bears" on my list too.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I'm of two minds on this topic. Part of me certainly feels good about some of my favorites (and almost all of them are 50's or 60's shows, just like Bert Greene mentioned). In spite of what I consider a very disproportionate ratio of newer shows over older classics, I still want to believe series like "The Fugitive", "Father Knows Best", and "Perry Mason" will eventually find their way onto store shelves. Then again, I think it's also conceivable the market will top out and these shows might stay in the vaults forever.

Nevertheless, there are many others I'm not at all hopeful of, regardless of the market. Bert mentioned many of them. The Ron Ely "Tarzan" series is one I'm not hopeful of. "Route 66" is another. I would also add the "Daniel Boone" series from the 60's to the list. And I have no hope for an intact "Wonder Years" set (music rights just seem insurmountable on this one).

Gary "I could add many older cartoons, like the HB 'Abbott & Costello' series, to the list of unhopefuls as well" O.

Mark Seyb

Agent
Freakazoid! Especially since my wife recently used my poorly marked Freakazoid tape that I had from before we married to tape her soap opera. Oh the humanity! :angry:

elizaVeta

Grip
I know what you mean. But I have hope! I think alot of it will just take time though. I would of never thought they'd release Road to Avonlea on dvd and they did. Along with Freaks and Geeks, Wonderfalls, Firefly, etc.

I wish they'd speed up with Bewitched and I Dream of Jeannie though. And I really hope they do something about The Wonder Years... I think they will eventually.

God, I feel so spoiled with all these tv shows though! So, I'm still a bit thankful. I never imagined they put out some of the shows they've put out. I only figured mainstream shows like Buffy the Vampire Slayer and other popular shows like would get out on dvd, which is good, but still.

There's still plenty of time. Though I'm not one for patience.

And omg, this sounded really sappy? :b

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
I think bewitched fans will be happy, as I'm sure that original series will be available around the time that the Nichole Kidman film hits theaters...Do they have to make a feature leangth "I Dream of Jeannie" to get the series there?

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member

Not technically, no. But it seems like that's what they are doing.

Good thing, then, that a big-screen Jeannie film is coming to theaters in 2006. The DVDs are already being planned! :D

Lohan is signed to be in the film, but it's not for-sure that she's playing Jeannie. Personally, I hope not. Lohan's all right, but she's no Barbara Eden.

Speaking of Eden, the original film "Harper Valley P.T.A." will come to DVD from HBO/Warner on 5/31. HBO also announced The Late Shift, Heaven Help Us, and a bunch of other titles for the same date.

Anthony Wolfe

Stunt Coordinator
I mean, there is an outrageous number of titles that I would like to see get a release, mostly titles from my childhood and just special shows. 'Martin' is one show that I am really rallying for on DVD. One of the funniest shows in recent memory and WB is at the helm, so maybe we'll see a release for this soon, WB has been taking care of business lately.

As far as the topic goes, I did used to feel that way, and it general upsets me that quite a few titles that I want aren't on DVD. Although, I think of Fresh Prince, Jamie Foxx, Night Court, you guys know the drill, getting a release in one week, and I realize that they will get around to most sets eventually, we are still seeing the rise of TV on DVD, so I am pretty optimistic about it. Plus Clarissa was just announced so I feel like the best is yet to come. All the 'Friends' sets and 'Will & Grace' sets and all that other rubbish' have been release, get them outta here, it's time for some real TV on DVD. NICE!

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i've heard several times that a remake of the Night Stalker should be on the 05/06 season schedule of, i'm guessing, the sci-fi channel (not sure if its another series, or just a pilot/one shot) so a Kolchak set may not be that far off.
maybe even as close as this fall.
Universal is funny.
they menitoned Rockford over 2 yrs ago, and Bionic Woman last year, and it seemed like both were just around the corner, and yet you have things that seem to have a significantly more limited popularity (like Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew) just fly out of the blue and on the shelf within a couple of months.

CaseyL

Supporting Actor
Ohh...How about "Bill and Ted's Most Excellent Adventures" the animated series. That is a hope and dream of mine! It was only like one maybe two seasons. You could cram the whole thing into one set!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks