What's new

Do you ever buy BDs simply because you see a really great price? (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
As the Black Friday deals have started coming fast and furious, I've REALLY had to restrain myself from buying movies at phenomenal prices that I would never buy under normal circumstances. It's tough, says I.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
I played that game on DVD, but have done a better job of restraining myself on Blu-Ray and tend to be more selective. Early in the life cycle of High Definition media I purchased a lot of titles during the price wars spurred by HD-DVD vs. BD but once my collection became a little larger I curtailed a lot of my impulse purchases.

- Walter.

Paul D G

Screenwriter
um....yes...? Just today while preparing a large Amazon order and checking for any other deals I found the Harry Potter 1-6 Blu's for under $40. Debated it for about 10 mins then added it to the cart. I have 1-5 on DVD and have debated numerous times on upgrading them on seeing one at the used shop.

I also picked up The Mist for under $8.

sharkus

Auditioning
Real Name
Marcus Kellerman
I swore I wasn't going to buy up Blu-Ray's like I did during the first years of my DVD addiction. Unfortunately, with these weekly $10 off Disney coupons and Amazon deals I'm back to my old ways. Only now I'm much more focused on kid movies, since those will actually get watched more than 0 times (I have countless DVDs that are still in shrink).

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
I do not buy stuff I wouldn't like, and I do not blind buy at all anymore, cept Toy Story 3.

Having said that, i just bought a buttload of Blu-rays, that i already own on DVD, just cause the Blu was so cheap. Example, The Batman Anthology.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Same as above, trying not to repeat my DVD mistakes.

But when Showgirls is only $8 it is hard to resist. So far, resisting.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I'm getting a lot choosier than I used to be. At the same time, I seem to be buying more! Too much, lately, in fact. But I also know that my interests in film have broadened, in a good way, and that's a credit to HTF.

Anyway, my answer to this is no. A few of my earliest BD purchases might have been because they were right there in front of me at a ridiculous price. (Same thing happened with early DVDs, I remember quite well.) But while I'm pretty fanatical about finding the best possible price on the BDs I know are right for me, I'm quite good now about passing over the stuff that isn't. I pay no mind to $4.99 BDs when they're of no interest or they've received negative reviews from people I trust.

As a side note to this, I'm still perfectly happy researching reviews and tracking down DVD releases, even when not so easy to find, in cases where the BD just isn't up to snuff.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Honestly. I have been resolute in my desire to upgrade/purchase only those titles that would get repeated plays at my house.

I have failed. I see these good deals (a hazard of mine) and can't help myself. I have been less-than-resolute in my ability to restrain myself.

On the one hand, I know I am getting these titles at a fraction of what many people pay...yet I need to make better choices.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I only buy stuff I'm SURE I'm going to watch now. I didnt go nearly as nuts as some HTFers did with DVD but even still I have a hundred I'll never get around to,

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
I used to, but I am now realizing that I don't have time to watch what I already have. Then again why do I have a bunch of $5.99 BD titles sitting in my cart....

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I already went back and forth on In the Shadow of the Moon and ended up ordering it, but Noe this discussion and Man's post has me questioning it again. Already own When We Left Earth and haven't watched it either. I probably should just pick up kids movies for the next 10-18 years.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
There is plenty of junk to regret purchasing on Blu-Ray, but I (personally) would not put In the Shadow of the Moon in that category. It is a wonderful film and is a steal at the current Amazon price.

Of course, you still have to find time to view it.

- Walter.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
David,

If it makes you feel any better, yeah, I ended up ordering In the Shadow of the Moon too. I just couldn't resist

_Man_

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Great little support group we've got going here. :) Now how to find the time.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I recently bought a copy of Exorcist II at an FYE because they were selling it for $1.99. And that was not a previously owned copy. Brand new.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks