What's new

Do you buy DVDs with hard subtitles? (1 Viewer)

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Just a quick survey - I am wondering what your opinion is of foreign language DVDs being released with only hard (burned in) subtitles. Would this affect your decision to buy at all?

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Depends on the film. :)

As long as the film is in English, and there's no other way to get it, I'll snag it.

R-T-C Tim

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Tim Young
EDIT: You are talking about English subtitles on foreign movies, not the other way around...

I have no problem with this at all. Not ideal since you can't turn them off for getting screenshots etc., but not a deal breaker for me.

Edited by R-T-C Tim - 7/19/2009 at 01:12 pm GMT

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Okay, just to be clear on what the question is:
The film's original language is something other than English. The subtitles are hard encoded. Would this deter you from purchasing the DVD?

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
It wouldn't deter me from buying. In many ways, it might be preferable. You wouldn't be at the mercy of how your player handles subtitles.

James 'Tiger' Lee

Second Unit
Real Name
James Lee
Originally Posted by Brian McHale

It wouldn't deter me from buying. In many ways, it might be preferable. You wouldn't be at the mercy of how your player handles subtitles.
Yeah, my Sony occasionally will break up subtitles for some reason

I don't mind fixed if they're not too obtrusive and are good english. I hate the forced subtitles on old Hong Kong film prints - the English there would shame a caveman

WadeM

Supporting Actor
I'd rather not buy ones with hard subtitles, but I was told by one of the DVD companies that sometimes they have to use hard subtitles as part of the licensing agreement.

Edit: And to answer the original question, it wouldn't stop me from buying the movie, I just wouldn't like it.

Edited by WadeM - 7/21/2009 at 02:47 pm GMT

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks