1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

Do watts matter if using preouts?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Yepyepsure, Dec 31, 2013.

1. Yepyepsure

Yepyepsure New User

yepyep
    Hey guys. I am in the market for a new stereo receiver and was wondering if I should be concerned with watts since I will be using the preout with an external amp? Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated!

2. Peter Apruzzese

Peter Apruzzese Well-Known Member

Peter Apruzzese
    No. The preouts do not use any amplifier power.

3. Yepyepsure

Yepyepsure New User

yepyep
    Ok, thats what I though. Thanks!

4. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Well-Known Member

Al
    While "no" is the correct answer, it feels like there's missing information. First, if you aren't going to use any of the amplification capabilities of the receiver, why not go with a pre-amp? On the flip side, many amps are dual channel, and many people use them to power the front right/left, using the receiver to power the other channels. If you need to power multiple channel you should consider this approach, which means you may want to consider the output of the receiver. (On the flip, flip side, almost all of them are a few watts short of 120 anyway.)

5. schan1269

schan1269 HTF Expert
    HW Reviewer

Sam
    The OP did say "stereo receiver". Implying there is no multiple channel.The HK 3490(if I got number correct) costs less than every single new stereo preamp.

6. Al.Anderson

Al.Anderson Well-Known Member

Al
    Once again proving why I always got those low reading comp scores ...

But while I love the 3490 in general, it's limited as a preamp - one digital input, one optical, and no HDMI.

Also, if anyone wants a 3490 they better move quickly. I posted a few weeks ago that they were showing up discounted on Amazon Prime; now they are no longer available. And they show up as "sold out" on H/K's site.

(Regardless of the 3490, I see your point.)