What's new

Do some older DVD movies display bars on all four sides? (1 Viewer)

DaleI

Stunt Coordinator
Just hooked up my new Sony blu-ray player to my HDTV (1080i) set.Is it common for older DVDs to show black bars on all four sides of the picture when playing. I put in the 1.85:1 "Somewhere in Time" DVD that was produced in 2000 and it gives the postage stamp effect. This DVD lists it at 1:85.1 widescreen.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Yes, if the disc/transfer is an older one that is not an "enhanced for widescreen" (aka "anamorphic") transfer, it will show bars on all 4 sides.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
The DVD is non-anamorphic. You have to use "zoom" (not 16:9/wide - since it's stretching the picture) from your TV set if you want the 1.85:1 ratio to "fill the tv screen".

Brian McHale

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Brian McHale
DVDs are supposed to have flags that tell a player if they are 4:3, anamorphic widescreen or non-anamorphic widescreen. Some players (my 5-year old Panasonic Blu-ray player, for instance) will automatically zoom non-anamorphic DVDs so that there are no black bars on the sides. However, if a disc is not flagged correctly, it might leave me with the all sides ("window boxed") display. I then have to zoom in using my TV, since my player doesn't allow a manual zoom.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Also, keep in mind that some HD displays disable zooming for HDMI inputs that feed an HD signal (720 or 1080).

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Yep. I've been culling these (non-anamorphic) discs from my collection. Between my tv, receiver, and Blu-Ray player I can't get a uniform expand to work. So out they go. :)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
If the tv set shows 4:3 image correctly (black bars on the sides), it'll show the non-anamorphic dvd with "postage stamp effect". You can then use "zoom" option from your tv set. If you use 16:9/wide (from your tv), it'll stretch the image. Both options are far from ideal, but at least zooming is better than stretching.Not sure what the problem is (other than the fact that the non-anamorphic dvds suck), but here you go.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks