What's new

Do I really need an Ultra? What about Plus or ISD? (1 Viewer)

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Well I did a little bit of thinking and I talked with me wife. First of all again I appologize for me blowing up like that again. I guess I just didnt see it from the other side and took it the wrong way. But you have to admit some people could have been a bit nicer about this. I am still not sure what I want. I proably wont be sure until I buy it. Thats just the way I am. :b As has been said before... Imagine living with me. God bless my wife.

Well I guess I just wanted some opinions. I always just want opinions. I know what I "need" to do. Just buy the PC-Ultra. But anyways... I may be "annoying".. but Im not a bad person.

Also I am 21, 22 in april. I have a wonderful wife who puts up with all my BS. I also have 2 children.. a 3yr old and a 2month old. I work in retail. It gets slow so I have alot of time to think about things. Those things being what I want to buy. LOL. Well I hope you guys can forgive me .... again.

I just now am not too sure wether I want to build my own sub... which I know nothing about.. or buy an SVS. But I did make a choice and buy a new center channel. I put up a post but not many people replied. :D

Well thanks again. Im gonna go through and read all these replies.

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
JohnSmith: Hopefully I can prove you wrong. Now that you say that. I think about customers I have that do that. And I hate it. So I appologize. I just need money now! :D

ScottCarr: Whats that suppossed to mean? I dont get it.

Brian Bunge: The problem I have with DIY subs is this... I dont know anything about it. So I am trying to learn.

Dennis: Just so you know. The ritalin thing was below the belt. But you proably understand that now. I was being serious too... I dont remember all but maybe 4 memories before I was 12 becuase of that crap. Do me a favor, dont put your kids on it.

Erik.Ha: Thank you very much. Thats just how I am.

Stephen M: I will buy something eventually. I just drive everyone crazy in the process. Plus I dont think ron hates me... I hope. :D

Shane Martin: Thank you also.

Dennis Gardner

Stunt Coordinator
Jesse,

Never meant any harm with the Ritalin comment, as you know from our past PMs, I have only tried to be of help with you and your quest. The internet has been a curse to those of us that are habitual window shoppers. There is way to much content to help make us change our minds.

I hope that you are finding your Yamaha to be all that you wanted and when you do settle on a sub, I hope it really rocks da' house! Sorry, I was the one that gave you up for a 19 year old, cause I knew that you were around the same age as 1 of my sons, I just forgot which one.:b I have them 23,22, 18 and 13. You remind me so much of them, I don't know how many times in the past ten years I had to help them build or rebuild, wire or rewire their systems in their cars & trucks.

Enjoy the quest,

DG

ScottCarr

Second Unit
Jesse
Now we know who you are and what your situation is.

Perhaps my comment should have truly stayed in the locker room. It simply means not thinking with the right head.

In regards to the sub. It appears to be more of a financial decision than not know what you want decision.
$300 out of the families budgetis a lot. But upgradatitus could cost you more in the end. If my little brother was in the same situation I would recommend waiting and buying what he wanted. If he couldn't wait I would see what kind of a deal Ron could extend on the PB2isd. And keep it under your hat.

If you have electronics background there is a large semiconductor company hiring right now, they bought the Rockwell plant in the Garden of the Gods campus. From what Ron tells me he can practically see it from his back yard. This company has a 4x3x12 shift. One week you work 4 days, the next week you work 3 days, 12 hour shifts. It is a great schedule. Unfortunately I am on the 5x5x12 schedule until I save up enough for the 50" plasma.

John Wes

Stunt Coordinator
Wow......the header is about subs...the rest of the thread is about people who don't understand this is a "forum".

So what if the questions have been ask a zillion times?

You know what? If they weren't this would be a pretty empty place by now.

If someone makes you that angry by posting so many questions, threads, I would suggest to not read them. Just like the channels on your tv that bother you.

Kudos to Ron for keeping his business sense.

Jesse, if you can't afford what you want, you already have your answer..you'll have to wait till Christmas.

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
I agree...this is why alot of people have jumped over to the "Spot." So the guy is fishing around...if it bothers you don't take the time to respond.

"Brian Bunge: The problem I have with DIY subs is this... I dont know anything about it. So I am trying to learn."

If you don't understand something...asking the same questions in different ways can be enlightening! The last thing you want to hear is...don't ask me any more stupid questions when you are knee deep into a DIY project....that was a bad "marketing" slip that speaks volumes...that you will neeeeever hear from SVS!

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Thank you guys for being understanding. I hope I didnt piss ron off. Thanks again. Do you guys want me to bump my boston center channel post?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Mike,

Actually, my wording was incorrect. It usually isn't that the person asks questions in different ways, but rather the exact same question over and over again. Any info. I give out on the forums on building subs is absolutely free and if I feel that I'm wasting my time I quit answering questions and leave it to others. Anyone that knows me can tell you that I usually am about the last person to give up on someone. Many other people bail out of the thread before I do.

Now if I'm building something for someone, I answer any and all questions (through emails, pm's, etc.) until that person is completely comfortable and we've settled on a design. Sometimes this has ended up into 100 or more emails.

Jesse,

I completely understand your asking questions about DIY subs because you don't know anything about it. My post was not directed at you but rather pointing out how annoying it can be to have at least 10 different experienced people giving out free advice on what to build and what drivers/amps etc. to use only to have that person asking the exact same questions 2 months later and basically never building anything whatsoever.

BTW, I don't remember where in Colorado you said you were, but ThomasW from the DIY forum is in the Denver area. He's been building subs and speakers for longer than many people here have been alive. He's been known to have guys considering DIY subs over to see and hear what can be built and to even help some of them build a sub once they've decided what they want. You might try contacting him to see if he'd be willing to let you invite yourself over sometime. Just don't expect him to spoon feed you information. He will expect you to do some leg work yourself as well.

ScottCarr

Second Unit
Jesse,

If you pissd ron off let me know and I will buy another sub from him:D maybe the SS this time around.....

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

But, with that in mind, there are a zillion threads in this forum *packed* full of good information. Instead of just shooting of a question, I'll use the search button to go through some of the history here. In most cases, a good thread that had a good dialog going and has received input from many sources, is much more resourceful to me than asking a question and getting only a few responses.

And, while we're on the topic of asking questions, I don't really mind the sub and speaker questions. However, the following question that gets posted about 5 times a week in the receiver/amps section gets *under* my skin: "I have $459.23 to spend, what is the best receiver for me?" :D :D :D

Kinson_Y

Auditioning
Jesse: I'm a new to posting here as well, though I've been online participating in forums for years and years now. The one bit of constructive advice I can give you is that "researching" doesn't always have to mean asking the same (or nearly the same) question over and over and over until some people get annoyed. (Rightfully or not).

What you can do to reduce this is do searches and review postings about things you're considering. For example, I would have never even considered a cylinder sub had I not surfed around and read about them - both here and in other places.

The other thing that may have annoyed others (though I'm NOT speaking for anyone other than myself, of course) is that you've actually had a chance to go listen to several models of SVS subs at Ron's house. This means you've had direct experience with them while the vast majority of SVS customers buy either sight unseen or (if they're lucky) after having heard maybe one or two owned by someone else locally.

This ultimately means you have are the best judge of whether you "need" an Ultra, a Plus or ISD driver since you know what your home theater's layout is, which you like the sound of the best, blah-blah-blah.

Mind you, I'm not saying you should or have to buy a SVS sub at all - just that you've already had a chance to listen for yourself and this should be what you go by, regardless of whatever advice anyone here (me included, of course) gives you.

In any case, I wish you luck on your hunt to filling your ".1" channel!

Jesse Sharrow

Supporting Actor
Well I have done alot of thinking. I also emailed ron about building my own sub and I have decided on I need to stick with the ultra. But I dont think its going to be for a while. So I put up a new post about speakers. I have a chance to buy some powered towers for a good deal. So if you want.. hop on over there and give me an idea, or you can ignore it all together. But I dont think I have posted anything like it before. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.