What's new

Do I Need to Worry About Pixel Burn-In on an LED 4K TV? (1 Viewer)

Mark Abrams

Stunt Coordinator
Just came away from having a DLP TV for 10 years, and have replaced it now with an LED 4K set (Samsung UN55JU6500). When watching non-HD broadcast TV, the TV automatically puts gray bars on the left and right, as well as (smaller) black bars on the top and bottom of the image, unless

I manually stretch the image top to bottom and side to side to fill the whole screen, but it definitely degrades the picture sharpness of the already less clear non-HD programming. Am just wondering how much I need to worry about bars on either side, top & bottom, gray and black, causing a lasting image? Also, more importantly because it can't be altered, many 16:9 movies from DVD and streaming have black bars top and bottom - how long exactly can you safely leave those bars up on the screen without risking a problem? Most movies are anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5 hours.

There isn't much in the way of guidelines in the e-manual for the TV, except to mention the problem of pixel burn in and that it's not covered by warranty... I know this was more of an issue with CRT and plasma TVs, but since I just got this TV, I'd certainly like to make it last a few years! Any input would be greatly appreciated - I never had to be concerned about this stuff with DLP, although the TV cost me technical headaches and repairs over the years.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
It's not something you need to worry about. LCDs don't burn-in the same way CRTs, plasmas and seemingly OLEDs can. They can get permanently stuck pixels, but you'd pretty much have to leave a static image on 24/7 for weeks or months to do it.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
My Samsung manual says it can happen @ 4 hrs. .In fact there is a member here whose wife left set on 4:3 station and it is burned in. The set has a setting to turn off after so many hrs. But u have to set it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks