What's new

Do all of these remakes help in getting OAR video releases of the original films? (1 Viewer)

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
Congress should at least pass a law declaring that all remakes should have to come up with new titles. I am now ashamed to mention any of my favorite films because people think I'm talking about the stupid remakes.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

And this problem is not becoming rectified by continuously re-re-re-making older movies just because today's audiences are only into "what's new". If they'd learn to be more sophisticated and seek out past gems, they wouldn't be so clueless.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Absolutely. At the very least, whenever we're stuck with more remakes, they should have the decency of using a different title to distinguish one version more readily from another.

"So what did you think of PLANET OF THE APES? No, no, no -- I meant the 1968 version with Charlton Heston...?"

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
For most people, one has nothing to do with the other because very few people (except HTF members) I talked to about the 2009 release know anything about the original.

By the way, anybody seen the 1998 television movie?

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

That is the only solace and bright side to this. But it's a shame it has to come to revamping a classic to get it properly issued on DVD or Blu-ray.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I saw half of it. It was pitiful, and I don't just mean that as a pre-determined conclusion. I couldn't watch the second half. But naturally the TV movie is going to be relatively obscure (thankfully) to a huge theatrical version like the new one.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
However, the new theatrical version will shed some renew light/interest on the original which up to now has been forgotton except for a few select few like yourself.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

JOHN Q, for my money.

Then again, my first and favorite Denzel Washington film was CARBON COPY (1981). But mostly for George Segal.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

First of all, I have to disagree, in that sometimes - though it is very rare, luckily - a modernized remake DOES affect the original. It often replaces the original in the minds of the general public.

And I never understand why people get so bent out of shape that some people are fed up to their eyeballs with needless modernized remakes. You're still going to have your remake even if we get bent about it, right?

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

As I added above in my last response to you (I think you may have missed it since you were responding to the first half at the same time) this should not be necessary for today's dumbed-down society who are only interested in "what's NOW"? It doesn't help the situation if everyone caters to their ignorance instead of helping them gain more sophistication by seeking out older titles and historical films/books/music, etc..

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Objectively, technically, I suppose so. But Segal cracks me up in it and I enjoy it. (Don't need it to be remade today by the way - though at least luckily in this case they probably couldn't).

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
You're still going to have your remake even if we get bent about it, right?

And I shall continue to "whine" about them, along with other members who have good taste, in spite of it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Are you trying to imply that I or others don't have good taste because we're looking forward to watching the remake? By the way, I don't care if you "whine" about them because it's good for business here.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

I think it's in bad taste to see this needless third version, if you happen to be someone who thought the 1974 original nailed it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
You don't know me well enough to evaluate my film taste. Just speak for yourself and we'll be fine.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

Robert, you are right when you say this is good for business, and this back and forth here is at least interesting for a thread (I look foward to others' responses too here by the way, both pro and con).

Also, I do have some idea of your film tastes because I read this forum - but aside from that observation, I have NOT at all evaluated/criticized your taste in movies here, not at all! On the contrary, if anything it is YOU who evaluated/criticized MINE, if you want to get techincal (after all, it was you who said "Now that is a terrible film" when I mentioned I enjoyed CARBON COBY).

And also something which should be kept in mind -- I am speaking solely for myself. I'm one of those people who feels it should be understood and not required to type "IMHO" after every sentence on message boards. It is my opinion that it's in bad taste to want to see this remake if you (the "general" you meaning anyone) like the original. In my humble opinion, with sugar on top.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I gave my opinion that "Carbon Copy" is a terrible film. I never mentioned your taste in film so let's not confuse the personal issue here. I don't have a problem with your opinion about remakes, but I don't care to read your opinion about me or my personal film taste. You don't know me well enough to make such a personal judgement about me. As I told members here for years, if you argue the issue instead of making personal references towards those you're debating, you'll be fine. I didn't like nor appreciate you trying to grade my taste in film because frankly, you know very little about me except that I'm a film buff.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I don't see the point in repeating myself on the above, but meanings on written message boards are not always easy to convey and obviously you've misunderstood me. I have not mentioned your taste in films, though I do think it's fair to say one can properly see what types of movies members like and don't like (more or less) by reading their writings on a movie forum from day to day.

The new PELHAM isn't even released yet and nobody has seen it, so surely I can't make any kind of real critical evaluation on the movie itself, nor toward anyone for liking/not liking it. I'm just amazed that anyone who loves the original would even want to see it, though I suppose I myself did try out the 1998 TV redo at least for awhile.

But one thing I can gauge from past experience here is that this is about the crucial moment where the "Administrator" title is pulsating toward me, so I will back off now and await others' opinions on this matter, both pro and con.

Robert, I hope you enjoy the new version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks