What's new

do all direct view tvs make a high pitch noise? (1 Viewer)

Nathan Smith

Agent
latly iv noticed my KV-32FS100 makes a very noticable high pitch noise

somtimes its not noticable at all but other times it gets on my nervs when u realy notice it is when u turn it off

do all tvs do this or do i maby have a problem?

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Mine doesn't. Toshiba 32HFX72. Neither did the Panasonic or Sony 27" Trinitron I had before that. But I have had all those TVs plugged into a balanced power AC unit. :)

But I have heard that others sometimes do experience this.

Maybe an AC line filter/conditioner would help?

Bob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
The highpitched noise is usually the yoke on the tube or the flyback transformer. Some tv's do it some don't. My 27" toshiba doesn't, but my 36" Hitachi does. I even had a tech out to look at it and he thought it was fine. Some people can't even notice it or can't even hear it. My wife doesn't hear it. Do a search on google for it and you will get loads of info.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
It's normal.

I can hear this tone, which must be at around 15 kHz. Without being told a TV is being turned on and with its volume completely muted, I can tell when it is running—even if I'm clear across the house. Many people's hearing rolls off rapidly past the 10 kHz level.

Rich H

Second Unit
I have extended, sensitive hearing and that TV whine has always been a bane for me. Like Jack, if there is a TV on muted I can hear it across a house. Same for walking into anyplace with TV's playing.

Finally having a television that does not have that high-pitched whir (in my case, a plasma) is a great relief.

Nathan Smith

Agent
ok yes like u said even with all sound off i can hear it accross my house i doubt any body in my house can hear it

i juz checked and my parents 32" jvs also makes "that sound" lol

thx guyz... start saving for my plasma ;)

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
I have had a couple sets do this including my current tv. Something I found that works quite well at getting rid of the noise is to place something under the back half of the tv like a towel, or what I use now is a piece of tool box liner. Every time I have done this it has gotten completely rid of the noise.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
EVERY tube set does this, to some degree. Some are worse than others.

I have extremely sharp hearing, and have never come across a tube set that I can't hear this noise on.

-Scott

Daniel Becker

Second Unit
Both of my Sony's do it. It seems that my 24" is louder than my 36" though. :) It's sort of one of those things that doesn't bother you until you suddenly start thinking about it. I'll go weeks without even noticing it but then suddenly one day it will bother me for a while. Then i'll forget about it and the cycle starts over again. :D

dan.b

Allan Jayne

Senior HTF Member
Don't put the TV on a towel or cover it with a towel, you will block some of the ventilation slots.

I used to hear this high pitched sound from TV sets but I don't any more and I know for sure my hearing doesn't go that high now.

Too much loud music in my earlier lifetime. When I go to the movies I get concerned that what is left of my hearing will be jeopardized. My HT sound system is very crude by today's standards and I never turn it up loud.

You shouldn't have this problem with today's HDTV sets, the flyback transformer frequency is well beyond the range of human hearing, about 31.5 KHz for 480p, 33.75 KHz for 1080i.

Video hints:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/video.htm

Todd Alexander

Stunt Coordinator
My Mitsubishi 35" did when I first got it. I complained and a tech came out, opened up the back of the set and put glue on whatever widget was humming/buzzing/whatever you want to call it. It seemed to do the job. It went from annoying to normal. I can still tell it is on, but it was not piercing like it was.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Horrible sound, I can hear it anywhere from any set. I find Sony's to be worse actually. I have a cheap Zenith and it's not bad, but I can still hear it from clear across the house.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks